Short-handed and Heads-up Play (Day 23 Course Discussion)

carmenzu

carmenzu

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Definitely a great help for GGPoker Spin & Gold, every day I am receiving a gift ticket that is helping me build my bankroll in this room.
Thank you very much for this chapter

P

Phyrrura

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Shove, shove, wait, let's go for the showdown.

Very nice how you guys exploite this, amazing graphs, thanks for all the references you have been taking for us members since the beggining of this jouney.

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Definitely a great help for GGPoker Spin & Gold, every day I am receiving a gift ticket that is helping me build my bankroll in this room.
Thank you very much for this chapter

So glad that this section helped you, thanks for sharing! :)

P

Phyrrura

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Always play aggressive, mainly in the HU

If you are not playing aggressive, please start again this course from Day 1.
People are going to steal a lot of chips from you if you're not charging than.

Daddysprincess99

Daddysprincess99

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This lesson helped me win 1st place at today's Cardschat monthly tourney on ACR! I used the Nash shove table. Thank you so much Collin and Katie for this course <333

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This lesson helped me win 1st place at today's Cardschat monthly tourney on ACR! I used the Nash shove table. Thank you so much Collin and Katie for this course <333

Congrats, way to go! :)

imnoobpoker

imnoobpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you so much for day 23, head-up is a game that I do not play that many often. As you mentioned earlier, you have to open up your range for this game. That is why I do not play it that much, it really depends on what kind of hands you get. If you get only horrible hands, you will lose most of the time. Element luck is here high?

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you so much for day 23, head-up is a game that I do not play that many often. As you mentioned earlier, you have to open up your range for this game. That is why I do not play it that much, it really depends on what kind of hands you get. If you get only horrible hands, you will lose most of the time. Element luck is here high?

Getting good hands definitely helps since you're involved in so many pots. But over the long term, what wins heads-up is solid loose-aggressive play :)

imnoobpoker

imnoobpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Getting good hands definitely helps since you're involved in so many pots. But over the long term, what wins heads-up is solid loose-aggressive play :)

What kind of skills can you learn from heads-up, what you do not learn from 9 sng?

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What kind of skills can you learn from heads-up, what you do not learn from 9 sng?

Post-flop play and aggression.

Since you're involved in most hands, you have to learn how to mix it up and play well on the post-flop streets in marginal spots such as 3rd pair on the river facing significant aggression.

Plus it's just a fun format to play :D

barbados

barbados

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Good lecture, thank you. It seems to me that the key to a successful game is directly related to the lion's dose of patience. As we say: "if you hurry, you'll make people laugh." However, delay is also undesirable. There may not be another chance.

mariussica88

mariussica88

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Finished day 23...7 to go

What I noticed is that a good practice for 3 man or head-up play are the Spin & Go. For me it help me when I got at a final table and managed to put pressure on my opponents.

Oranaro

Oranaro

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very usefull to get into 2nd and 1st place in sit& go and mtts once we get to the final table.
Being able to play heads up and get from a potential 2nd place to the winner makes a huge difference. I've been able to get 1st twice on sit & go, as a play at the same time as freerolls, so I would multitable (I play 2 to 3 tables no more)
At first I was playing very tight, worked out the first time because I was lucky to get the AA on the BB while villain went to shove with A2s. But lost the enxt 3 times, getting 6th for playing tight and playing like a full ring. Maybe it wasn't that bad, as there were some ICM to take on account. Still lost a heads up with cracked kings, and ha like 3BB, so even if I won that hand, I wouldn't last long. The last one I played, I was just raising crazy just with a top card, with any suited connector, and went all in with any pair. Won it quite easyly, and made my 2nd victory 1st place on a 45 sit & go.

C

Chase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My big take-away from this lesson is to play a lot of hands and raise most/all buttons. This is a fun part of the game. No more sitting around waiting for better starting hands.Lots of action - that's the way I like it!

Atararo14

Atararo14

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Finished day 23

This lesson is very interesting like the previous ones, thank you Cardschat.

The head's up game is different compared to the 6-9 player game. This pushes us to open more hands and play very loose so as not to be exploited by the villain.
Regarding the question of the quiz, in this spot I see that we must raise :kd4::7d4: for value because villain has to show weakness, if he has an Ax he would have raised or shove preflop ( VPIP 46, PFR 31 ), but he just checked, even on the flop he has check. He bets on the turn, that means he probably has T. He checks on the river, so he doesn't often have a strong play.

Eduard0Felipe

Eduard0Felipe

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Mesa com pouco jogadores e jogo mano a mano,
Good lecture, thank you. It seems to me that the key to a successful game is directly related to the lion's dose of patience. As we say: "if you hurry, you'll make people laugh." However, delay is also undesirable. There may not be another chance.
Great message, that's it, patience is very important at a certain point, but consider not waiting too long, it can be harmful.

I still have a little trouble with this part, but the class helped me a lot, the range table also clarified a lot, so let's go to the top, thanks for more CardsChat!

23/30.

Gutshot Gus

Gutshot Gus

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In cash games I always play the 9 handed and try to avoid short handed games. The main reason is to save posting blinds over a period of time.
Since I have been doing this course my final table appearances have gone up somewhat and I'm getting more comfortable with shorthanded play in tournaments.
This lesson helps a lot and I am looking forward to playing more shorthanded games in the future.

Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Day 23 finished.
Nice topic with good advices in how to play in the race final in the poker tournament, or HU.
Where we should have a range more amplify.

Ty.

Anamembu

Anamembu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Day 23 completed. While there are some key variations, it is essential to understand that ultimately the fundamentals of the game of poker remain the same in all situations. Thanks for the lesson!

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands