Set-Mining Explained: What you need to know to make the right call

Paya_31

Paya_31

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great Article, I really liked that it starts with the probability of hitting a set. This is very important, I don't know if in the forum there is the probability of hitting the other hands, such as a pair, double pair, ladder, color. In case I was there, they could pass it on, thank you very much. I will apply what I have learned, to see how I am doing with these great tips.

Last edited by a moderator:
XYZ2123

XYZ2123

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
A nice concise explanation (and for some of us, an important reminder) of all the factors that need to be considered when set-mining: not only direct and implied odds, but the situational variables of image, position, and ranges.

GIRFIED

GIRFIED

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I remember that when I started playing poker a few years ago the concept of “Set Mining” was widely used and commented on as a very profitable strategy, but poker is constantly changing, and unless you only play at low levels, it is a strategy that today is overrated, moreover, according to Elías Gutiérrez, a hight stakes player, he comments in a YouTube video that it is a losing strategy.

To perform a “set mining” in a profitable way, many factors are necessary (odds, implied odds, the type of rival, how the flop impacts in the range of the rival, among others) that many times we do not control, and when we meet competent rivals, they will take notes of our trends and play based on this.

By this I do not mean that the “set mining” is incorrect, but we must implement it as a tool attached to our repertoire, and not as an individual strategy that solves your problems.

GRIN281289

GRIN281289

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to play set mining because it is very easy to win with what the player does not expect. Thanks for the great article!

DTMath

DTMath

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great read. Thanks.
Happy New Year everyone.

Ventoman777

Ventoman777

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We need to analyze the players who will act after us, and what their likely reaction to our call will be. If you use set mining from a late position, fewer players will decide after you. But if you use set mining from an early or middle position, then more players will decide after you.

riverokker

riverokker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Awesome Article. Low pairs are hard to play. Never know if I'm supposed to Call/Raise/Fold. Thanks this will help me Greatly. Good Luck at the Tables.

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Set Mining

What a terrific article. I always look at the relevant factors but had never assigned a value to them before to decide on what the call behind numbers should look like to set mine more profitably. Thanks for the tip!

cese1962

cese1962

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Excellent observation, I want to thank you. I also like it when you're out of position and having to really know the right time to do what would be the most accurate act possible, if you're out of position and you decide to take a look, and your opponents also check in behind you, which may indicate that they are less likely to pay on the remaining streets.