Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
We've all heard the term: set-mining is flat-calling a pre-flop raise in the hopes of getting a set (three of a kind) on the flop. There is a lot to consider before making these calls if you want this to be a profitable play.

From the direct odds of making a set to implied odds, along with other factors such as your opponents' range, your position, and more - a successful player will take all these into consideration to (hopefully) make the best and most profitable play. That's why we put together this article: Poker Set-Mining Explained

We cover all the bases to help you make the best possible decision. Read through the article and let us know how you will apply these tactics to your game, or how you may already be putting them into practice! See what our ambassadors and experts have to say as well in the article!

Remember: there is difference between a "set" and "trips"! Both mean you have three of a kind, but you achieve the hand in different ways. So what's the difference? Read on for an explanation..

Set: When you hold a pocket pair and your three of a kind hits the board on either the flop, turn, or river. This is precisely the type of hand we are referring to in the article.

Trips: When you hold one of the cards that make up your three of a kind in your hole cards, with the other two cards coming out on the board. This type of hand does not apply to set-mining, which is the focus of this article.

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you very much for this article, it has helped me a lot to play with low pairs and know when to pay a 3bet,

BentleyBoy

BentleyBoy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great article again CardsChat, thank you.

I like the point about being out of position and having to really understand the field to make a correct decision about how to play and then understanding the impact of the play on the rest of the hand, I.e. if out of position and you decide to check, and your opponents also check behind you, then that could indicate that they are less likely to pay you off on the remaining streets.

Still. Hitting a set is still a very nice feeling. Keep those emotions I check and draw maximum value from your opponents.

BB

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Another great article
I always I have a low pocket pair as a pair of 22 or 33 I pay increase in pre flop but not compromising my stack at most a 3bb, and hit a trio in there I get flop with a hand very strong and I try to draw the maximum of my diversario.
the same thing with a set, if you have a 56 JT try to see the flop to see if I'm likely to hit a sequence

acidburnfx

acidburnfx

Senior apprentice
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Perfect! The hard thing is for someone with a pair of AA or KK for example not to bet anymore because they have seen that the other player has achieved something better through their profile or perhaps previous hand history.

H

HaroldHouse

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I need to pay more attention to implied odds not only when set mining but all draws...especially the amount of money left behind. Why draw if you cant win anything if you hit.

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
is stuff am not sure about but primarily a good article video to take in account.... my thing is position do i set mine with big pockets out of position? sure if know my table... its all about what ive seen so far... do I toss pockets in certain situations absolutely ...... i like to trap so play set mining aggressively if and when possible but everything is going to be about my knowledge of my table and my position.... those are the two factors i use in order to trap players.

armoko

armoko

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
very good article. I always trying to see the board when I have the pocket pairs in case to catch a three of a kind. Really good point I found for myself about how much money is left behind for postflop, what I didn't pay much attention for that.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
thank you very much Tammy .... it is an excellent article ... it is worth reading from time to time to keep in mind all those basic concepts that will help us make the best decision ...!

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Somewhere I already read or heard that you need to call pre-flop less often on a set and get paid for such a strong hand is becoming more and more difficult. Poker does not stand still, there is new information, I will work on the game and I hope they will not undress at the table)

Bev

Bev

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
2nd Strategy Poker Set-Mining Explained

OK , got my second strategy done. This has been a busy month !!!

https://www.cardschat.com/forum/car...2019-forum-challenge-445096/post-5434771.html

Good info on this bit here . You need to be aware that with any pocket pair going to the flop, the odds of flopping a set are roughly 7.5/1. IE for every 7 and a half times you call a raise preflop, you are going to make a set one of those times.

I agree that you will have a very strong hand IF the third card comes out. Only depending on which pair I start out with , I won't raise on all of the pairs I get. I don't even call if someone has raised preflop if the pair I have isn't very big , say 8 or less.

So if this is IMPLIED - then I would NOT be betting my cards heavy on "implied" odds ! Implied odds are a fictitious value poker players try to figure out.

I totally agree that "depends" is a term used a lot , as no one can play and be sure all the time of the outcome on each hand. When I get a pair , then I have to start thinking of what has been coming out on the board regularly , and if the cards are small - then yes I will play the small pairs and if those pairs are to small I will fold them, If I do play a small pair , then I won't raise preflop - but I will call - if someone hasn't shoved or raised to much on preflop.

zam220

zam220

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great article again CardsChat, thanks.I agree that very much depends on the position, I try with small pairs not to go to the set from early positions and if I go then I throw off if they do 3-bet !

Bozovicdj

Bozovicdj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I really, really love this one! It is really well written, I don't think of anything that could improve the quality of the article. The only thing that comes to mind is that it needs an explanation on set-mining in different games (MTTs and cash games) cause IMO, there is a difference in how we should play these hands out.
Regardless, great article, thumbs up :)

Also, having examples is great and very important for beginners to understand a bit more about set mining.

freddydr87

freddydr87

League Champion
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is a very interesting article,i allwais have this in cosideration when calling a 3bet with medium or low poket pairs(the vilain needs to have at leats 15 times my call) so that way will be a lucrative call,this have in consideration the times i dont extrat all hi chips/money and the times i louse even with my set.

PsychoVas

PsychoVas

What The Duck???
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Another very educating article for set-mining in cash games. I think that in tournaments players tend to set-mine more as most of the times a shove would be involved at some street.
In cash games it really is the hand that makes the biggest profit, as it is concealed. I speak from experience as I lost a lot of stacks to sets, being the proverbial nit and thinking my Kings, Queens or Aces are good...

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Hitting a nice set is one of the little dreams in the game! It is a nightmare when the opponent has another higher set or trips, or he makes a full house!On the other hand it is nice when our set is just a winner, or rarely when we hit after the set a better full house or a four kind as an answer to any possible disaster!:driver:

tehb1987

tehb1987

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As always, it all depends on the position. Quite a difficult decision with a low pair on UTG. Often you can get enough opponents to not only not improve but also to stay with nothing. Another thing is that the chances to collect such a set are sometimes completely forgotten when they see aggression. Typically low pair is used to stealing the blinds.
Anyway, thanks for the article. There is something to think about at your leisure

AndreyMav78

AndreyMav78

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The article is informative for me. I'll try to play with the information outlined in it. I only doubt that the principles of these rates are good for small pairs (22-88). With them it is very big to get a re-raise

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The most profitable thing is always to look for a good pot, risk a bit of chips in a large pot against few players will always be profitable, of course! Do it if you have the chance to win the hand, thanks for the article, very good!

shanest

shanest

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
great content. I feel I am sometimes to call happy with small pairs and this article has some great info contained in it.

AzdajaD

AzdajaD

Meat Pounder
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
Super cool article - thanks... great explained of set and trips, very useful for begginers. :)

Luvart

Luvart

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Very good article about set-mining.

To be honest, I almost never fold sets or trips on the flop, unless there is very very special situation in a heavy wet flop. Hitting a set, especially with the baby pairs, like 22 or 33, is a dream versus aggro maniacs in the micros. Anyway, in full-ring games I tend to not open-raise baby pairs form EP.

A

Anders1616

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Very interesting article.
There is more to poker than you think. I am getting educated every time i read an article like this. Thank you very much.

M

Muzyka1996

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks! I once dont knew about the existence trips, for me it was also a set.

I always wait for a set on the flop, making small-pair calls as 22 33.