Dobbler1

Dobbler1

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I have tons of theory yet to learn, but I feel like the biggest hole in my game is self-discipline. Anyone have any tips on improving on that front? I keep finding myself in positions where I think "Of course I should have folded! I know I should have folded! Why didn't I?"

CheckDisOut

CheckDisOut

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Make your self a checklist for dummies, with something like: "1. what's my hand value 2. what's the hand value of my opponent 3. should i fold" or something similar and go through this every hand, making a check by each bullet. After a while you'll get a grip.

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have tons of theory yet to learn, but I feel like the biggest hole in my game is self-discipline. Anyone have any tips on improving on that front? I keep finding myself in positions where I think "Of course I should have folded! I know I should have folded! Why didn't I?"
Pretend you're playing on a wsop live stream so you'll feel happy in a good fold,
Compensation, when we think we are alone, we do more stupid things.

G

GoodMoon90

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This problem of self-discipline is known to many poker players, you need to try to play strictly according to the chosen plan, while you need to know poker theory well

igorneia

igorneia

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
This problem of self-discipline is known to many poker players, you need to try to play strictly according to the chosen plan, while you need to know poker theory well

M

mclay

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
People who understand poker,say that the most profitable action for beginner poker players is to fold. Therefore, if you are in doubt, it is better to fold your cards and wait for your situation. But I understand how incredibly difficult it can be to do!:)

pocketace222

pocketace222

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Practice it takes time and even the best stray at time so don't beat yourself up. If you can't improve though over time your not truly trying. Start with staying patient, even after bad beats. Stick to a range of cards and play a few sessions not straying from the range. And I mean not even in the small or big blind

ODRAGD3

ODRAGD3

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
be patient and when you go 1v1 the rival will not always flirt!

C

caracaski220

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
If you don't have self-discipline, you cant succeed at this game. If you don't have it, you have acquire it, with study and experience.

JhonnyThe357

JhonnyThe357

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Man, I'm in the same dilemma. haha ha. I will follow this topic to absorb the guidance of colleagues

F

Foxie12340

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think this way, folding never loses any more money so if not sure folding is a good plan. Unless your a gambler lol

R

RadlerCycles

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey Dobbler,
I have the same problem still, and as far as I see it, it's not really a question of self-discipline as much as a question of self confidence. Everyone makes mistakes, regardless of skill level. And one of the best quotes I've heard on the subject is simple and concrete; win or learn, but never lose. Contrary to popular belief, there is no solution for poker, just theory that is constantly being updated and refined, and the best way I know to avoid making "mistakes" is through practice. And don't always focus on the result, because variance can skew the lines you need to play. And over everything else, don't get discouraged. Win or learn...

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
The ability to re-evaluate hand value on each street, is what separates good players from bad players and prevents us from becoming married to a hand.
However, us Humans are a curious bunch, I'm still working hard to find the answer to your question.
Understanding player types, ranges and board texture should be what you work on hardest. It will help you make tight decisions.
As Radler said if you learn from your errors you haven't lost the hand. Win or learn!

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Certainly, if you are constantly learning from losing, it is better than that.

heguli82

heguli82

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Its not necessarily bad call even you happends to be behind...so chek that thing first. Different personalities control self-discipline different ways. So its depends what kind of people you are generally. You can argue about training your self-discipline better but im not sure. What you can do is to focus your everyday life around poker. Things in order and mind in the right brings + to your self-disciple too :)