Running Bad in poker

Mendes0607

Mendes0607

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
Hello guys! Does anyone have any tips for me so I don't lose my mind when I run bad?

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
hi friend, how can I help you, what questions do you have, what do you wear, don't understand you or you're bad or go crazy when you lose, tell us more so we can help you

A

allfarewells

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
  1. Take a break: Many players suggest taking a break in the midst of running bad. ...
  2. Keep calm & grind on: This one is fairly obvious. ...
  3. Play tighter: Some players will suggest tightening up and reverting back to total ABC poker in the midst of running bad.
  4. Want to learn 'how to be good at poker? '
  5. Think About Ranges, Not Hands.
  6. Ditch Your Favorite Hand.
  7. Adopt a Consistent Strategy.
  8. Always Have a Reason.
  9. Know When to Fold Your Aces.
  10. Realize Tilt Only Hurts You.
  11. Don't Play Bad Games.
Many pros will claim that bad runs, should only last a few weeks or months and if a player is losing continously for 6-12 months or longer , then it is the player and not a bad run.

Keep grinding and learning and eventually you will prevail my friend , poker just like anything worth learning is not learned in a day 👌🏻 I hope these tips help my friend.

Much love
Danny
🙏❤️

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hello guys! Does anyone have any tips for me so I don't lose my mind when I run bad?

The best thing you can do in my opinion is know that it will end and wont last forever and remember when your running good and giving out beats it makes up for the bad times your having now.

I myself an in a downturn at this moment and keep on remembering that my time will come. It does help to remember that.

Rockyfour

Rockyfour

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just take a break and understand that there is no point in getting mad over something you can't control.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
  1. Take a break: Many players suggest taking a break in the midst of running bad. ...
  2. Keep calm & grind on: This one is fairly obvious. ...
  3. Play tighter: Some players will suggest tightening up and reverting back to total ABC poker in the midst of running bad.
  4. Want to learn 'how to be good at poker? '
  5. Think About Ranges, Not Hands.
  6. Ditch Your Favorite Hand.
  7. Adopt a Consistent Strategy.
  8. Always Have a Reason.
  9. Know When to Fold Your Aces.
  10. Realize Tilt Only Hurts You.
  11. Don't Play Bad Games.
I would like to add one more point to this list which is move down. If you are on a bad run, using aggressive bankroll management will increase your stress level, which can create a vicious cycle of tilt and poor play. Typically you will also face softer competion, which makes it easier to get your confidence back.
Many pros will claim that bad runs, should only last a few weeks or months and if a player is losing continously for 6-12 months or longer , then it is the player and not a bad run.
That depends on game format and volume. If you only play 1-2 tournaments per week, then a bad run can last for decades.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Hi Mendes. In addition to what has been said, my advice is to set limits to how long you play when running bad. For example, if I play fast fold / zoom / snap / etc. varieties where you can fold and immediately start another hand, I start a timer after the first or second cooler type hand or bad beat that I get. If I don't get a hand where the outcome is positive to balance out the hand that set off my timer before the timer runs out, then my session is over.

Most poker hands are pretty neutral and don't make it to showdown. Personally I find the ones that tilt me the most are the ones where there is a bad showdown involved or at the very least a very bad river that makes me have to fold. Over time maybe you will get more and more desensitized to them and it will get better, but you may need to distance yourself from trying too much to succeed in the game in the short run.

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
A good tip, and even an elementary one for those who participate in CC is to read the comments posted here and take the course offered (for those who do not listen in English it is more complicated). The people here publish a lot of good things.

For those who are Brazilian, as is my case, there are some guys who publish videos, in which I learned a lot.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The more you study and the better you get the less severe the downturns will be.

kitchy65

kitchy65

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
The best thing you can do in my opinion is know that it will end and wont last forever and remember when your running good and giving out beats it makes up for the bad times your having now.

I myself an in a downturn at this moment and keep on remembering that my time will come. It does help to remember that.

I have no idea what you mean by this. I never give anyone a bad beat.

Are you saying you call frequently when you shouldn't?

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Winning or losing is a matter of luck. Please don't get angry or depressed.
There is no player who just wins like that.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
The best solution is a break. If you see that you are having a bad day, it is better to stop and take a break, it is better to rest than to spoil your mood and lose money.
Good luck.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Hi Mendes. In addition to what has been said, my advice is to set limits to how long you play when running bad. For example, if I play fast fold / zoom / snap / etc. varieties where you can fold and immediately start another hand, I start a timer after the first or second cooler type hand or bad beat that I get. If I don't get a hand where the outcome is positive to balance out the hand that set off my timer before the timer runs out, then my session is over.
WHY would you do this to yourself IF you are playing good? This makes zero sense to me.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I'm not sure about everyone else on this thread, but for myself, the 'downturn', the 'bad run' ends the moment I'm dealt the next hand. I don't believe in any of that stuff. If you can allow poor outcomes to control your mindset, causing you to play something that isn't your best (or at a level that you feel comfortable to be playing at... idk what this might mean.. your A game.. A -, B+ game?) then yes I suppose you need to take a break AND WORK on THAT part of your game. (once again though, after I identify what the problem is with my mindset, I can actually work on it while playing during a succession of bad outcomes).
I heard somewhere the other day, an important trait for a poker player is to have bad short term memory... so you can forget that crap and just move on & continue to make the best decisions in each & every spot.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I heard somewhere the other day, an important trait for a poker player is to have bad short term memory... so you can forget that crap and just move on & continue to make the best decisions in each & every spot.
This is obviously true and what we ideally want to try to achieve. The cards dont have any memory, so just because we happened to have some losing sessions or run into a number of coolers and bad beats, does not mean, its more likely to happen again. So there is no logic reason to change any of our decisions due to recent results, except maybe move down and/or change our game selection if we think, that maybe we are not playing the right games.

But it is human nature to have more fun with the game and also play better, when things have been going well recently. So it is important to allow at least some room for that and maybe take a step or two back, when things are not going well. What I personally do in the very short term is to sometimes end a session early, if I run bad. Like for instance if I played 9 Fifty/50 SnGs and only cashed in one of them. Then maybe this is not the time, I need to play another 9 right now.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Life is a choice. What to spend time and energy on. Someone chooses to sprint. And someone like a turtle. Selects one target. And it reaches it. Unlike a rabbit. Who runs fast. But he is distracted by trifles. And he forgets where he ran. In poker, there are fish, weak players and gamblers who regularly leak, and there are regulars with an iron psyche who really earn money there. And if I had a stronger psyche, oh, in what I could be a plus over the years. I would not become a rich man, but I would live much better than I live now. He ruined his own life with his tilt.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
This is obviously true and what we ideally want to try to achieve. The cards dont have any memory, so just because we happened to have some losing sessions or run into a number of coolers and bad beats, does not mean, its more likely to happen again. So there is no logic reason to change any of our decisions due to recent results, except maybe move down and/or change our game selection if we think, that maybe we are not playing the right games.

But it is human nature to have more fun with the game and also play better, when things have been going well recently. So it is important to allow at least some room for that and maybe take a step or two back, when things are not going well. What I personally do in the very short term is to sometimes end a session early, if I run bad. Like for instance if I played 9 Fifty/50 SnGs and only cashed in one of them. Then maybe this is not the time, I need to play another 9 right now.
That's pretty much what I have been finding. As much as this card game requires us to play like robots when dealing with results, I am definitely not a robot and never will be. I'll start changing the frequency at which I play certain hands, underfolding/overfilling, being more/less risk averse than optimal, etc.. And if I'm getting relentlessly clobbered in a session and just bricking repeatedly, then why continue grinding when I am not enjoying playing? I have much better activities to do and enjoy when I am not enjoying poker.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
That's pretty much what I have been finding. As much as this card game requires us to play like robots when dealing with results, I am definitely not a robot and never will be. I'll start changing the frequency at which I play certain hands, underfolding/overfilling, being more/less risk averse than optimal, etc.. And if I'm getting relentlessly clobbered in a session and just bricking repeatedly, then why continue grinding when I am not enjoying playing? I have much better activities to do and enjoy when I am not enjoying poker.

But why can't it change on the very next hand?

Robbit

Robbit

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just stop playing when running bad. Is the best option by far.

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
.Running bad or playing badly?
If you're just getting on the wrong end of variance, then you just need to calm down, take a short break and get back on the horse.
Volume is something which will help alleviate the losses. If you're playing multiple games simultaneously, you're more likely to play a tighter game and roll with the punches when you get sucked out.

If you're playing badly, STOP. Playing badly/going on tilt is a symptom of poor discipline. You need to set boundaries to many aspects of your game. Just as you don't shove 72o UTG with 2BB remaining, you need tpo set some rules about how you behave. Hero calls with T4o? Why? You think you're Texas Dolly? Don't play clever...play smart. Forget the fancy stuff and stick to the maths. I lost my shirt to a one-outer (I flopped a full house, he flopped trip queens. Had hom on the hook and he rivered the last queen. (I guess it wasn't a one-outer as there were three other cards to match his non-Q hole card...)In any case, it is rare to get outdrawn in that spot (mathematically).... Suck it up and move on. It's just a hand. You should be more concerned with whether or not you played well. If ytou play well, you can get past variance in the long run. But if you play poorly, then...well...come on over to my table!

C

Cooking

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bad runs happens to all poker players, but if it's lasting too long, I usually take a break of a couple of days/weeks of the game to review my hand history and study more. I usually still play, but only freerolls.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have much better activities to do and enjoy when I am not enjoying poker.
Exactly. None of us writing here depends on poker for our living. So even if we are winning players, there is no reason to force ourselfes to keep playing, if we are not enjoying it.