Was this the right play?

P

PR96

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm very new to poker, started only a few days ago and I just got knocked out of an online tournament pretty quickly.

I had a KK and felt pretty confident about it, so on the preflop I raised double the big blind and only one person called. I also raised after the flop and turn. When it came to the river, the other guy went all in and I thought at this point, I didn't really have much of a choice. I knew that judging by the board, I wasn't getting beaten any other way other than pocket aces. But that's exactly what the other guy had! :(

I'm just wondering if there's a better way I could have played that hand? Or maybe I didn't really make a mistake and I just got unlucky.

M

Mahdi

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, if you need any help you have to tell us what came on the flop, turn and river, tell us how deep were you and the villain and how much bets were on all streets(flop, turn and river)

H

HungryLyan

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After you mentioned about raising double the big blind pre flop, I would of raised 3.5 times the big blind to make the player call more to be in the hand.

P

PR96

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, if you need any help you have to tell us what came on the flop, turn and river, tell us how deep were you and the villain and how much bets were on all streets(flop, turn and river)

The BB was 400, so pretty sure I raised 800. I was stacked around 2300, the villain was pretty high, around 10,000 I think. The flop was something like 4, 7 and J. Turn was 2 and the river I can't remember for sure. Pretty sure my raise was 400 both times. I wouldn't have lost to a straight or flush, only pocket As or a three of a kind. I knew going all in would knock me out though, so maybe I was too hasty betting so much.

Next time I need advice I'll be sure to actually note down all those details lol.

tauri103

tauri103

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you don't give enough information about the spot you are playing. it is therefore difficult to answer your question. apart from the cards that came out on the flop turn and river. you must also take into account the style of play of your opponent and the information you have accumulated on him. it is advisable to 3 bet with a KK preflop to avoid getting called by trash hands. the best way to improve your game quickly is to watch strategic videos and get inspiration for your game.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even AA and KK shouldn't have a confidence excessively.

messats

messats

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
LC
Chips
getting info from players

any hand can be beat yes that includes AA's and KK's, the real talent comes when you can recognize when you're beat and weather to risk your tournament life over whatever percentage is in the pot. final decision is yours to make

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You were dealt pocket kings against pocket aces, this is not very common, but usually leads to the loss of a large pot, it is difficult to discard such cards, if the Board is not too dangerous, You are not lucky this time.

Highsolation

Highsolation

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do agree that more information should be provided next time, but judging by what you have said, you should've moved all in pre-flop, as effective stack was lower than 10 BB. When having less than 10BB effective stack, it's all-in or fold.
Now, when it comes to what the other guy had, it was kinda a bad luck scenario, running KK into AA is always unfortunate. The guy had over 10k chips, there was no way he would've folded your raise, and that's not your fault.

D

Dhendrixon

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
As being new to poker, you will need to study to improve on your game. With that being said, you should take detailed notes on the hands you have questions about. Starting stacks in bb's, what position players were in and what actions were taken pre-flop. Post flop would be cards and actions on each street. This would be helpful for you to analyze your game and become a better player.

For about 6 BB you should have shoved all in preflop. Results would be the same but that would be the correct move.