Reading Opponents at the Poker Table: How solid reads can be better than big hands

AzdajaD

AzdajaD

Meat Pounder
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RS
Chips
Great video, thanks Katie! :)

Fantastic read on the player...good teaching, fold that KK...

Rosxana13

Rosxana13

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow Amazing Fold I wish I could control my emotion like that at the table if I see that with Kings I would've Jam with a large bet ... of course that the read on the players it is a big factor here cause when you have a very good read you just know lot of player limp AA from UTG I've fold some AKs and QQ in those situations but I prefer to Raise strong Preflop cause if they go all in is easier fold and if they pay is tiem to see a flop but not free like the Big blind here... is just the way I would play that hand :D... Great Video Katie Thanks!

BentleyBoy

BentleyBoy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like this example of how to fold a monster based on your reads of a good regular opponents moves. However, this example also raises the issue of slow playing monsters and allowing the BB to see the flop for free, without getting any information about what the BB holds.

I like Katie’s fold here, but I think given how UTG slow played it is not that difficult a decision given her knowledge of UTG.

What I don’t like about the overall play is letting the BB in for free. This is the risk of slow play as once you have let another player in without getting info on them they could have anything....and we all know that rags often win on a crazy flop... it would be nice to hear what was going through the mind of the UTG when the BB raised on the flop. A pair on the board here is extremely dangerous as we don’t have a clue what BB has. AA is only good if it beats everyone else at the end of the river. Good UTG player? Unlucky here mate!

BB

yomarianob

yomarianob

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great video, thanks!

I can't see me just calling this hand pre-flop, maybe with jacks or queens, but not with kings, I'm always raising.. As played, on the flop, I think I could find a fold, but certainly would lose some more chips.

Freeman748

Freeman748

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
An interesting lesson, it can be seen right away that the player understands what to do in such situations, reading opponents and playing at a high level. Thank you for the excellent video !!!

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think, in this draw of hand Katie the opponent with AA helped. I mean, if he
didn't "Slowplay", and would make 3-4 bet... But most interesting, if the opponent
with AA would go "All-in" at once! Could Katie to fold KK?..:rolleyes:
P. S. Anyway, this is a very interesting and useful video! Reality is more important!:cool:

Ivansito26

Ivansito26

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A good and well explained video, one of the factors of losing hands before the game is not knowing how to read the opponents of your table ... because the decision is to know how to make the move and how to play the bonus cards and not to lose, it is necessary to know when you will only call or re raise or all in ... because you do not always win with premium cards .. and this is a good video where you learn a lot and if one of the important things of winning many hands is to read all your opponents and wait for the right moment

Katie Dozier

Katie Dozier

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks again so much everyone for the kind comments! :)

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands