Re-raising

M

Mdf1992

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi!

I had a quick question about re-raising.
Let’s say utg raises pre flop and I call from bb.
Let’s say flop comes 776 and utg raises. If I have a 7 in my hand in the bb, I have trouble with the idea that I should be raising. Why do I want to scare the person away and give away the strength of my hand? I guess if I am properly balancing my ranges and I also am re-raising flush draws etc then it’s not necessarily giving away my hand strength anymore, because I could be semi-bluffing.

Could anyone give any input here?
Thanks,
Mark

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
Your example requires a bit more information. Have all the other players folded? If it's just you and the UTG heads up then I see no real reason for raising. But if there are other people still involved in the pot, and UTG made only a small raise, then it might be wise to force other players to fold with a reasonable raise.

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Raises are usually a combination of getting value, building pots for drawing hands, and protecting a hand that may not be so strong by the river if other draws hit. A 776 flop may be getting raised by overpairs, straight draws, flush draws, and other 7Xs. The problem is not just about giving away your hand strength. You need to also have an idea of who may be staying in with you for action and what their ranges may be. UTG would rarely have a 7X but would be more likely to have overpairs and flush draws on that kind of board. Calling UTG's raise and then reevaluating on the turn may be acceptable. There is also the issue of relative stack sizes, but maybe it's best to leave that for another topic.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
THEY (popular way to play)check call because
pros

we want equity from a double barrel bluff on the turn from all his missed range

we want our villians non pair range to have a chance of hitting top pair

cons

we give up a chance for his paired hands to hit a full house on us

and we give up a chance for 98 or 54s to hit a straight

You do
whatever
you believe is right in the moment for you ok, gl on the tables

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
Re-raising is one of the best things in cardchat games if you want to see which people chicken out ...