Questions about BRM

M

magnus369

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am here through this post to try to clarify with you some questions that have been going through my mind, please answer if you have recent experience in the field in question, since I want updated information and approximate reality.

I am willing to invest a certain amount of money to simply skip the sacrifice of playing freerolls, micros mtts & sng, micro cash nl2. I am really thinking of starting out playing NL10 and buy in tournaments up to $7.50, I would like to know from those of you who play NL10 or have an avg buy in near $7.50, how many buy-ins do you consider a safe margin both to prevent downswings when getting used to and relearning certain concepts and losing certain habits I am contracting playing micro limits.

In case you play in some higher limit and want to exemplify how you do your own bankroll management it would help me a lot too, so I can better plan the climb to nl25 and nl50, since my goal is one day to be regular at NL25 and NL50 tables.

I read a lot about 30 buy ins for cash games and 100 buy ins for mtt's, but I've been reading this since forever, does this concept still persist? even with the evolution of the field, mainly concentrating several sharks in the lower limits?

And without forgetting the poker site that I intend to use mainly for the cash game would be GG poker, the rake program seems much more attractive at first instance, I may be wrong, but I think the software and the daily rankings are cool, I will play cash 6 max regular (NO ZOOM).

Feel free to ask me questions too, otherwise GL in life and felts.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
30 BIs for cash games and 100 BIs for MTTs is still a good starting point, if you are willing to move down after losing, and if you play a mixture of MTTs like for instance 2,2-7,5$ or 3,3-7,5$. For cash games its on the agressive side though, and if you are planning to skip 2-5NL, you will better off setting aside something like 500$ or 50BI to get you going.

M

magnus369

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
30 BIs for cash games and 100 BIs for MTTs is still a good starting point, if you are willing to move down after losing, and if you play a mixture of MTTs like for instance 2,2-7,5$ or 3,3-7,5$. For cash games its on the agressive side though, and if you are planning to skip 2-5NL, you will better off setting aside something like 500$ or 50BI to get you going.

And how would this move down happen? could you explain me better in your conception how it would happen? For example I already have in my routine the stop loss and stop win, but I believe you are talking about moving down the limit when you reach some amount in the bankroll. How much would this amount be?

V

vas

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
in tournaments up to $7.50,
if you play evening on stars as bb 7.5 you need more than 400 buy ins. I was have swings for 300+ and it's hurts)

If you play some 7.7 on party with 300 peoples 200 buyins will be anough.. according to your skill of course

For example I already have in my routine the stop loss and stop win, but I believe you are talking about moving down the limit when you reach some amount in the bankroll. How much would this amount be?
If you can loose bankrol and deposit again you play without stop lose. As for me when i got <200 buyins i stop added 7.5 for example.

Last edited:
M

magnus369

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The intention of my playing poker was to earn a few bucks at the end of the month, and also to help me accumulate money for international travel with my future wife. I am trying to increase my way of earning money, using poker as a means, I already have a promising career, maybe even as a math teacher, however here in brazil, it is not a country for amateurs, while the world suffers a war crisis, here there was already an internal crisis and with the advance of the war, it is simply impossible not to try to invest, or do something to guarantee that extra income. I gave this context to say that I will not have conditions to be depositing and depositing, so I am also studying more cash games, mathematically speaking the dispersion is lower, but not a risk versus high prize, as in mtt tournaments there is. But I really like to play tournaments, I also like the modality, however my focus will be for now to play NL10, at GG poker, I will try to save some money playing freerolls, mainly their daily freebies, during the next 2 months I will try to save money to make a big deposit, Here in Brazil things are ridiculous, our currency the Brazilian Real, is extremely devalued and 1 USD is equivalent to 5 BRL, that said it is extremely complicated for us here in South America to deposit for example 5k in the bank, it is an inhuman value where the minimum wage is about 240 USD.

V

vas

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
magnus369 - if you didn't plan reinvest than you need play only for luck not with brm.let's say win in sunday storm. Because you will be learn more and more with years and before learned you will lose more and more.
As about brasil & salaries. I'm Ukrainian & we got same things)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And how would this move down happen?

There are basically two different ways to approach bankroll management:

1) You start playing a certain limit like 10NL cash games, and then you continue playing that limit, until all the money is gone, or your bankroll is big enough to move up to the next limit. Or in other words you move up but never down.

2) You move down, as soon as the bankroll drop below the number of BIs, which you require yourself to always have. If this is set at 30 BIs, then you are no longer playing 10NL, if you drop to 299$, and you are also no longer playing 5NL, if you drop to 149$. In a sense you can say, that with this approach 300$ is actually your bankroll for 5NL not 10NL, and anything above 300$ can be used for "shots" at 10NL.

The first approach gives a risk of ruin, and typically people want that to be fairly low like 1% or less. With the second approach there is essentially no risk of ruin, but you will regularly need to move down. And this is why, 30BIs is a whole lot more reasonable using the second approach rather than the first one.

You stated, that you dont really want to play 2NL and 5NL. This mean, you are using approach number 1), and then 50BI is more reasonable than 30BI. With 30BI your risk of ruin will be somewhat significant, especially if you are relearning and not even sure, you are currently a winning player.

As a final comment you talk about both cash games and tournaments, and I will highly recommend to focus on one of these game formats at a time. It does not need to be a commitment for life, but at least several month at a time. Otherwise there is a risk of becoming a "jack of all trades but a master of none".

If you choose to grind cash games, it is of course fine to once in a while play some tournaments on a sunday for entertainment and to try something else, and you dont need to stick strictly to the 100BI rule, since the tournaments are essentially a kind of shot taking. So for instance it would not be a problem to once in a while play a 7,5$ MTT with a 500$ bankroll and then play 10NL cash games the rest of the time.

But if on the other hand you always play 7,5$ MTTs, and especially those with large fields like 1.000+ players, then as someone else have already said, you should plan on having much more than a 750$ bankroll for that. Even 3.000$ (400 BI) is not crazy given how much variance there is in large field MTTs.

Personally I play tournaments and I use the 100BI rule for MTTs. But the way, I do it, is, that I play a spread of buyins, and a lot of the MTTs, I play, have small to medium fields like 100-500 players, which reduce variance. So with a 750$ bankroll I might once in a while play a 7,5$ "bounty builder" with a 2.500 player field, but I will also be playing a 3,3$ "hot" with a 250 player field. Hope this long explanation makes sense :)

M

mikeajax15

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Totally agree with the post of fundiver.

I am player to a range of mtt's from 2 up to 11. With average bi of 3.

I tend to use the following numbers

Reg speeds 200 bi
Turbo 400 bi
Hyper 600 bi

I am a bankroll nit but with aproach the swings doesnt hurt you either.

The small field tournaments are variance killers and the big field are potential for a big Payday.

If you want to earn money on the side and not want to redeposit then choose the low variance route.

Its a slow and steady grind

Gl sir

M

magnus369

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are basically two different ways to approach bankroll management:

1) You start playing a certain limit like 10NL cash games, and then you continue playing that limit, until all the money is gone, or your bankroll is big enough to move up to the next limit. Or in other words you move up but never down.

2) You move down, as soon as the bankroll drop below the number of BIs, which you require yourself to always have. If this is set at 30 BIs, then you are no longer playing 10NL, if you drop to 299$, and you are also no longer playing 5NL, if you drop to 149$. In a sense you can say, that with this approach 300$ is actually your bankroll for 5NL not 10NL, and anything above 300$ can be used for "shots" at 10NL.

The first approach gives a risk of ruin, and typically people want that to be fairly low like 1% or less. With the second approach there is essentially no risk of ruin, but you will regularly need to move down. And this is why, 30BIs is a whole lot more reasonable using the second approach rather than the first one.

You stated, that you dont really want to play 2NL and 5NL. This mean, you are using approach number 1), and then 50BI is more reasonable than 30BI. With 30BI your risk of ruin will be somewhat significant, especially if you are relearning and not even sure, you are currently a winning player.

As a final comment you talk about both cash games and tournaments, and I will highly recommend to focus on one of these game formats at a time. It does not need to be a commitment for life, but at least several month at a time. Otherwise there is a risk of becoming a "jack of all trades but a master of none".

If you choose to grind cash games, it is of course fine to once in a while play some tournaments on a sunday for entertainment and to try something else, and you dont need to stick strictly to the 100BI rule, since the tournaments are essentially a kind of shot taking. So for instance it would not be a problem to once in a while play a 7,5$ MTT with a 500$ bankroll and then play 10NL cash games the rest of the time.

But if on the other hand you always play 7,5$ MTTs, and especially those with large fields like 1.000+ players, then as someone else have already said, you should plan on having much more than a 750$ bankroll for that. Even 3.000$ (400 BI) is not crazy given how much variance there is in large field MTTs.

Personally I play tournaments and I use the 100BI rule for MTTs. But the way, I do it, is, that I play a spread of buyins, and a lot of the MTTs, I play, have small to medium fields like 100-500 players, which reduce variance. So with a 750$ bankroll I might once in a while play a 7,5$ "bounty builder" with a 2.500 player field, but I will also be playing a 3,3$ "hot" with a 250 player field. Hope this long explanation makes sense :)

Thank you very much for your contributions, and for sure they are very clear for me, I will have some time playing only freerolls, for the next 2 months, I will get married, so I don't intend to deposit for a while, I will study the game more, prepare myself better mentally, physically too, improve issues even as my diet, not only for poker, but to ensure quality of life, in this time I will try to get some dollars playing freerolls, especially if my platinum club membership is accepted, I will have the privilege to play a lot, and also learn more about tournaments, one thing you said makes a lot of sense to me, I like fields of up to 500 players, much more than that for me is already very stressful the routine of losing and losing and winning sometimes, I think that as time goes by and depending on how much I save playing for free, I'll try to deposit a bankroll of 75 or 100 buy-ins for nl10, if not I'd rather play sng's micros on pokerstars, those on demand, 180 players, my favorite format of tournament, especially the turbos.

Thank you very much for the wisdom you have imparted!