Question for sng with KQ.

L

Living__M

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
You are in an sng-45 man tournament where you have 15BB left with no antes yet.
The tables are 9-seated.
Situation one. You have KQo three seats next to the big-blind first in. Is it smart to shove here?

Situation two. You are seated cutoff and there is a 3bb raise in front of you.
Also here you have KQo with how many big blind will you shove if shove at all.

Please advice me for these kind of situations.

Kind Regards.
Long time poker player but still a beginner in many ways ^^

Wish y'all nice weekend.

ObbleeXY

ObbleeXY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
There are lots of push-fold charts available on the internet which will tell you which hands to push with when < 20BB, from a given position (for a given ante size).

I've attached one from Jonathan Little's site. If I recall though, such charts assume everyone has folded up to you before you push. So do not use such a chart to help you when there has been action leading into you.

For what it's worth, for a full-ring game, with 15BB and Antes of 12.5%, KQo may be pushed from UTG+2 (or later positions) with no action leading up to you. This is an oversimplified response, but it is a good place from which to continue the discussion.

Cheers,
ObbleeXY

Attachments

• push-fold 12.5 Antes-1280.jpg
    push-fold 12.5 Antes-1280.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 19
tagece

tagece

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
You are in an sng-45 man tournament where you have 15BB left with no antes yet.
The tables are 9-seated.
Situation one. You have KQo three seats next to the big-blind first in. Is it smart to shove here?

Situation two. You are seated cutoff and there is a 3bb raise in front of you.
Also here you have KQo with how many big blind will you shove if shove at all.

Please advice me for these kind of situations.

Kind Regards.
Long time poker player but still a beginner in many ways ^^

Wish y'all nice weekend.

I think it depends a lot on the stacks of the next players after you, the style of game they play, your position in the tournament and even the buy in of the game.

I think there are two reasons you may shove. To be called or to steal the blinds. You need to have this clear in mind before put all your chips in the table.

In the first hand you have a reasonable chance to steal the blinds. The question is: If it happens, you are betting 15 BB to win 1,5. If you get called, what is more inusual, there is a big chance you will be in a coin flip or worst. I would prefer to make a 3X, what commonly it's enough to win the hand and fold if necessary. Still alive in the tournament. But if you notice that the SB and BB are loose players it could be a good spot to shove.

In the second hand depending on the player, I would call if he is a regular player or fold to a very tight one. The chances of the player who bet first calls a shove are considerable. a 3X bet from the middle of the table means a lot of strong hands, like TT+, ATo+, KTo+ . You can be in trouble again. The only reason to I see to shove in this case with KQo is if you know the player and assume that he can bet in this case with worst hands.

But it's my style of play, I think there are a lot of people who thinks different here.

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First hand: Shoving is profitable. At a passive table you might raise/fold instead (or raise-call against very aggressive players pre final table). But nothing wrong with just moving all-in :)

Second hand: While KQs would often be a good shove here, your most common play should be to fold KQo from the cutoff facing a 3bb raise from an earlier position player.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Rather than push-fold charts the more modern way to get an answer to questions like these is to plug the scenario into a program like ICMizer, which will then calculate the NASH equilibrium. By the way where do you find 45 man SnGs without antes? On pokerstars they have antes from blind level 1.

I am pretty unfamiliar with non-ante tournaments, but with 15BB it seems like a better strategy to min-raise rather than open jam, although open jamming should probably be +EV, as Collin say. But having no ante gives you a way worse risk-reward. Against early position action KQo is often a fold.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Even if It plays faithfully in a chart, it's clear that a good result isn't obtained.