Question about training courses

M

Murph1969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If they’re any good, why aren’t the instructors playing for a living?

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think a lot of instructors do play for a living, but instruction is a way to diversify income streams. Imagine playing mid stakes and going on a bad run....if you dont have other income then you may have to move down in levels. Or what if they average $50 win/hr and they can only get 4 hrs of good games, but they can coach for another 4 hours at $50/hr.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is actually a good question, and I do think, a lot of "failed pros" try to become coaches or make money creating training material. So as with anything else be a critical consumer. If someone claim to be able to teach you how to beat micro or low stakes, then its probably fairly obvious, why they wont rather spend the rest of their life doing that themselfes for a low hourly earning. And maybe the course is also free or available for a small amount of money.

But if someone claim to be able to teach you how to crush the high stakes scene, and they want you to pay 1.000´s of dollars for their insight, then its a fair question, why they are not out there doing all that crushing themselfes. So at least check their track record, and if most of their proven results were years ago, its probably fair to ask, if they are still as much at the cutting edge, as they claim. I think, there is a lot of stuff out there, where people are asked to pay big money for content, which is often basically some solver outputs.

C

Carlo35

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
maybe because everybody is better nowdays. there is less money to be made so they need different sources of income at the side

L

LosJay

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Many of them spend their time with their coaching, because it's more profitable. But I agree, that is kind of confusing

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Look at it like this no matter how good a pro you are there is always risk that you do not make the money especially for a tournament player. If the pro has a good system for teaching and is able to pass that information on in a way you can comprehend both of you gain great value, he has money in his or her pocket, and you get the knowledge you seek.

There are some great places you can try out for free at least for a few days if not a month and see what interests you. YOu also need to be honest with yourself with regard to how much "dedicated time" you will invest in learning.

Systems I have found helpful in the past are as follows

1 - Evan Jarvis aka Gripsed - https://gripsed.com/
2 - Jonathon little aka https://pokercoaching.com/dashboard/
3 - bencben - https://www.raiseyouredge.com/

There are many others but these were the first that came to mind

Not to mention it would be worth your time to at least take the Become A Winning Poker Player In 30 Days
here on cardschat

https://www.cardschat.com/become-a-winning-poker-player/

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A fair question,,,, hmm. :rolleyes:

garibe

garibe

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am a beginner.

I will not buy a high-stake course. It will not help me.

I will not buy, a course that teaches games I dont play (ex. cash game course, but I only play SnG...).

I will not buy from shady unknown players.

Now, if I buy any I need:

- to know my objectives;
- to study. You will not watch one video and learn. make notes, study!
- Plan and apply the new information;

based on that, I bought a SnG course. I got that extreme up curve of learning and got pretty much all of my best results using the knowledge I got there.

After that I realized that much information will not be shared unless you pay for it.

And, this will not be given to you in a silver plate. YOU need to understand and apply it to your reality.

So yeah, when you look for those who have good feedback, you can go and have it without concerns.

To the main question, there are several instructors playing the game that provide really good information. Also, many who are not good or not even play and sell a bunch of outdated things.

I believe the best way to learn, after you got yourself out of the basics of poker is to join a group or community that have similar goals and reality to you.

FoxMS

FoxMS

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It doesn't matter who plays poker or how. Your results directly depend on your skills. The training course helps to gain new knowledge and improve skills.