Question about post-flop play and position

M

Murph1969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
that really knows what they are talking about? I don’t understand position. I understand hand ranges by position. I’m talking about postflop. In the games I play (small to midstakes tournaments) nearly every hand is raised from early position. You very rarely have the luxury of being both in position and the preflop aggressor. So if you’re the preflop aggressor but out of position should you cbet?

MK_

MK_

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
US
Chips
The out of position player can certainly still cbet... being in position is optimal but you are rarely going to get optimal situations in poker, your hand range may be a bit tighter, bet sizing may be smaller, being more wary of wet boards etc.

LUKADONCICMVP

LUKADONCICMVP

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Depends on the board texture you should cbet or not, u should cbet more often in a hu spot than in a multi way tho

A

a1232

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
IE
Chips
There are too many variables to this depending on your hand, how your oponent has been playing and how you have been playing or at least appear to others to be playing. One tip I would give would be to adjust your call / raise range based on how aggressive the table is. If everyone is check folding you can be much more aggressive and variance will play into your hands, likewise if the table is extremely aggressive you can tighten your range considerably and then score big when you get a big draw

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You should C-bet less when out of position. If people open to wide from early position, then you should 3-bet them wide, when you are in late position, rather than just call.

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
that really knows what they are talking about? I don’t understand position. I understand hand ranges by position. I’m talking about postflop. In the games I play (small to midstakes tournaments) nearly every hand is raised from early position. You very rarely have the luxury of being both in position and the preflop aggressor. So if you’re the preflop aggressor but out of position should you cbet?
It will depend on the edge on the table. Which hand is most advantageous for the payer? If you are the aggressor, for example, and you see an A on the table post-flop, you can cbet and see the villain's reaction.

rastapapolos

rastapapolos

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
When you are the aggressor OOP, should you c-bet ? You can cbet a lot of boards that brings an A,K,Q,Jxx, especially if you're perceived as a tight player.
Now if you'are facing the same guy and everytime you cbet he won't give you much credit.
Vs 2 players I don't think that it's the right play when you have only one pair or complete air, your equity drops dramatically.
There are some wet boards that you have to cbet (flush or straight draws) to protect and charge villain especially with strong holding (set, top two..) and you can turn them into bluffs on turn/river.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It all depends on the situation at hand.
Stack size, how many people are there, etc.