question about my friend's bankroll management

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My friend asura gave me all of his money except for 7.5 in his account. He previously won 46 dollars on full tilt through ofc freeroll. He won few sng tourneys and got upto 67.5. He gave me rest of 60 dollars, he was left with 7.5. He joined $7.5 super turbo on full tilt. He tripled up and won the whole tourney by toying around with them. So that got him upto 31.5. He played another 7.5 tourney but lost that one. So he was left with 24 dollars. He joined $22 tourney, got 3rd place and won $36, so he was at 38. He used that money and joined $36 tournament, got 2nd place, which got him $89 in the tourney, so he has 91 total or so. He was at $91.1. He joined $2.25 tourney this morning and won $9. He had 97.85. He told me to try this

His idea is move up as soon as you have two times the amount of 1st place prize you're currently playing

Join $2.25 tourney and win $9. He told me to just move up whenever I have two times the amount of 1st place prize of table I'm in. For example, if I'm playing in 2.25, first place receives 9 dollars. So he told me to move up when I reach 18 dollars. Move upto 3.8 superturbo. winner of that tourney wins 15.75. So don't move up unless I reached 31.5. Then I move upto $5 buy-in, where first place gets 22.5. Don't move up until I reach 45. Then move upto $6 buy-in and don't move up until i reach 54.

I personally disagree with my roommate's idea because I believe this is really a poor bankroll management. But he tells me that at this rate, I can boost up bankroll in no time. What do you guys think of this idea?

bredstik

bredstik

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, if you can finish in the money every time but once like your roommate did, you might as well!

Generally speaking though I think you should play buy-ins that are no more than 10% of your entire bankroll.

PoKeRFoRNiA

PoKeRFoRNiA

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, if you can finish in the money every time but once like your roommate did, you might as well!

Generally speaking though I think you should play buy-ins that are no more than 10% of your entire bankroll.

My roommate was just going crazy. Back then, he lost 50 bucks. He quitted and only played freerolls until he won $46 through ofc freeroll. Then he got bored. He doesn't think of money in full tilt as real money. He thinks of it as a play money. He just gave me 60 and decided to do his "quest". He told me that he decided to go full buy-in with whole bankroll without looking back. I thought he was crazy. He left himself only with 7.5 and he kept itming and winning. Whenever he won, he just joined a buy-in tournament that's as high as his bankroll. And he kept succeeding and kept going up. He's a very conservative player when playing poker but in terms of bankroll management, he's a maniac style who doesn't look back or regret.

He told me that he's got nothing to lose since it's not his real money that came out of his wallet. This was pure lack of bankroll management. But he gave me an advice that I can't keep playing until I have 20/30/50 times the buy-in table or using bankroll management most people use or know. He told me it's "pussy" method of management if i do 20/30/50 times the buy-in bankroll management.

ericgarner118

ericgarner118

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's just crazy. No one is good enough to keep a bankroll going like that for too long. Even if he did everything right in every tournament he played in. There are times he won't place. If he is just playing to have fun and thats all, more power to him. If you want to make money and keep money in your BR then doing what he is doing is NOT the way to go at all.

nutshooter

nutshooter

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It true you can build up your bankroll in a couple days doing this but you can also bust alot quicker. Id wait until you are constantly winning or placing at the stakes your use to before moving up.

K

kevkojak

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your friend is a lunatic. Two or three losses back to back and he'll be back to square one.
Anyone serious about BRM will allow at LEAST 20 buy in's (5%) and even that is quite aggressive strategy.
Tell him lucky going for building up a bankroll quickly, but as you step up levels, you come up against MUCH better opponents, and you need to settle into your limits before stepping up.

Caseace48

Caseace48

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Variance will most definitely catch up with him and more likely sooner than later, especially with tournaments/sit n gos. I personally use the 10% rule for sit n go's and 5% for MTT, it's what my personal comfort level is at. I'd recommending shying away from your roommates personal strategy...but just my opinion:cool: GL

F

fergy05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sounds to me like he just isn't taking it seriously and looking to have some fun. I don't see a problem with this, but I am pretty sure he will find his whole bankroll gone within a short period of time. Only having 2 buyins is crazy and there is no way he can last long doing that.

However, if he doesn't really care about the money, and won't be worried when he does go bust, then their is no real harm in it and best of luck to him. Won't be a method I follow though.

pfb8888

pfb8888

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the real question is when he goes bust will you give him any money?

XxJackAcexX

XxJackAcexX

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What goes up must come down, Playing recklessly only lasts for so long in the game of poker.... Poor bankroll management will cost in the end... poker is a never ending road with alot of speed bumbs, hopefully your mate don't catch a pot hole.

Arjonius

Arjonius

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playing a maximum of 5% of your roll is a guideline that gets stated quite often. It's okay, but not completely applicable to all players. For instance, if you play a high-variance style, 2% or 3% may be better because some of your losing streaks will be worse than those of lower-variance players due to your style.

Also, no guideline will work very well unless you learn to win at whatever level you play most.

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management