QQ how to play this pair?

B

bronx3

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
QQ is one of my least favorite hands to go all in pre flop with. You are almost always pitted against 1 if not 2 overcards. You are still the favorite, but you really have to pick your spots with QQ. On the bubble in a tourny, don't risk everything unless you are short stacked.

Shakes

Shakes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AJ: My point is I tried playing them strong and it seems like I lose all the time with them. Right now it is my least favorite pair as its really the only pair I have major troubloe with. This is why I was asking for suggestions on how to play it in the first place

Bronx3: Since I got a couple of books Theory and Practice from Sklansky (is it me or is reading this book like trying to figure out a trig problem?) and Super System the original first to read I will read those first. But it is good to know that SS2 has a section on QQ. Maybe I just need to tinker with it. I dont know but thanks for the suggestions

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I got beat again with this pair. QQ vs A6 offsuit. Like I said, it seems like I never win with this hand
seems to me, just by this little bit of info, you either go all-in preflop or you just can't seem to let it go and take it to showdown when there is an ace on board or by not giving your villian credit for a hand.
just my opinion and I could be completely wrong here.

Shakes

Shakes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
That particular hand was an AI preflop situation as I was a SS at the red mzone at the time.

I tried something a little different when I had QQ. I overbet PF like a good 7 to 8 times BB and everybody folded everytime. Still trying to figure out how to play it but at least on this day it work. Kind of weird because I got JJ, KK, and AA a couple of times and did the standard 3xBB. Who knows.

sisko

sisko

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i think you are underestimating power of queens. at episode 1 of wsop 2007, there is a scene of laying down winning queens. my opinion is raise enough to allow only aq,ak or pairs to game so if no A or K shows up, continue collecting chips. but raising is must, never let 89, 9T... to be in

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That particular hand was an AI preflop situation as I was a SS at the red mzone at the time.

I tried something a little different when I had QQ. I overbet PF like a good 7 to 8 times BB and everybody folded everytime. Still trying to figure out how to play it but at least on this day it work. Kind of weird because I got JJ, KK, and AA a couple of times and did the standard 3xBB. Who knows.
Doesn't seem you have trouble with QQ as you have more trouble accumulating a stack with which other players can fear your raises with QQ, you will lose alot of races with QQ if your on the SS as the larger stacks will not respect your raises because they may have you outchipped 3-1 or more and will call you with any ace, IMO.

QQ win more than KK? why?
Look closer, KK has won more times, it's just that QQ has won billy more money.

Shakes

Shakes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
thats true shine. I have a hard time accumulating stacks in tournaments. On the rare instances that I do accumulate a decent stack, I always makes a mistake to send me down to the bottom again. I am always hovering just below the average most of the time at best.

Shakes

Shakes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
pau, can you at least be realistic. I have my fair share of problems with jacks as well but they arent nearly as big as QQ. But maybe shine has a point. Apart of the reason may be the SS that I am at. Honestly I dont know.

N

NewHill

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's all in your head

I think that everyone knows the feeling of I HATE THIS HAND!Whether it's AK pocket Jacks or in your case QQ.We all get in a rut where it seems no matter what we do we feel this hand is going downhill from the start.But if you really think about it I'm sure you can remember when QQ was your money hand and you just couldn't lose with it.What I'm saying is it happens to everyone and you just need to keep playing your game and let the numbers take care of the rest.

T

teksmith

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't understand. This is like the third best starting hand. It has the advantage over every other hand but AA KK going to the flop. If you bet enough to make it wrong for weak hands to call PF then over time the averages have to be in your favor. Yeah sometimes people call with nothing and suck out or the AK hits the flop. But sometime you flop a set and sometimes there are no over cards. If you bet so much preflop that you force everyone else out you're wasting the opportunity. At that point only hands that beat you will call.

dresturn2

dresturn2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It has a lot to do with the other players and how they play...I would put in a normal raise and if i was early in position then i would lead out with a bet no matter what flopped and then adjust according to what happens behind me

M

murraygoals

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
play aggressive to a certain point

id say play them aggressive preflop but not exactly all in....sometimes its jsut 50/50 against AK in which ur putting ur tournament life on a flip of a coin---try that advice

danny021

danny021

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
pocket pairs are hard to play... in most cases.. i mean it just depends on who you're playing and what the situation is.

R

RoTs

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can't remember where I read it but it was said you will lose more at certain limits with the top 5 hands then any other hands combined. Just like many have already said gotta know when to lay them down if not all in preflop.

L

lmille4574

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
QQ is not my favorite hand either. The only way you are going to get someone to fold to your preflop raise is to have a table image. If you are playing them in freeroll forget it. 9 out of ten times soemone holding ace or king is gonna cll. My best play with these cards are to let everyone else raise and when it hits the flop bet them hard. online poker is hard to play any pocket pair you just have to make the best of it.

Shakes

Shakes

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Right now, I will try anything. Like I said I dont have much of a problem it seems with any other pair but QQ. Not even JJ-88.

pfb8888

pfb8888

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
its the other players who weaken your QQ

if you play micro tables you will lose with QQ more often...just go all in every time and take the stress out of it...or limp and fold if you dont trip..
if you want to play like supersystem you have to play at higher levels...maybe 25 dollar nl ...or at least a 10 dollar table...people overvalue ace x at smaller stakes