protect your BB or just fold

wildyetty

wildyetty

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find myself late in tournaments with 25 to 30 bigs and a super aggressive guy/gal to my right with a larger stack making alot of 5x raises blind vs blind.
I end up folding hands like Ajs KQs and medium to small pairs 88 and lower.

When is enough enough?

R

rhombus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I find myself late in tournaments with 25 to 30 bigs and a super aggressive guy/gal to my right with a larger stack making alot of 5x raises blind vs blind.
I end up folding hands like Ajs KQs and medium to small pairs 88 and lower.

When is enough enough?

25-30 maybe slightly too big to shove unless they have done it 2 or 3 times, any time under 20 BBs and they raise especially from Small BLind , its an easy shove with AJs, KQs and all pairs above 7s

BentleyBoy

BentleyBoy

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Don't get bullied at the table. With a good hand at that stage it's worth a call raise or shove, but you need to assess the style of play and what your opponent has been calling with. Don't just keep folding, you will get picked off!

shomy21

shomy21

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In that situation I sometimes make a call than check on flop, if I hit something I reraise him instatly. But if I have less than 20x chips I would push him all in before flop.

westside1950

westside1950

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well in this case you should definitly protect your blinds against a turbo agressive opponent with your near-premium hands (88, AJ etc.).
I think 25BB shoving with that hands i mentioned above could also be fine beause you are ahead most of the time. Calling and seeing the flop also seems reasonable; but I like to respond with agression to agression :)

So he won't steal your BB next time once you stand up against him ;)

toots babos

toots babos

ex-tornament grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The more often that you fold to these type of players the more often they will continue to make those plays against you. If you are able to spot that they are doing this each orbit then the sooner you shove on them the better as most of the time they will re adjust for the next orbits and only raise you with a hand that they are willing to get it in with in the hopes that you will make the same move again

S

spazdm

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I personally dont protect my big blind at all. If its a great hand sure but otherwise i treat it just like an "in position" play. playable hand play it or crap then i dump it. I hope that helps :)

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The player to your right sees you as sitting rock thats why he always raise on you.

Sometimes you have to fight back just to stop his bullying.

kidkvno1

kidkvno1

Sarah's Pet
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The player to your right sees you as sitting rock thats why he always raise on you.

Sometimes you have to fight back just to stop his bullying.
+1
I don't care if I have A4 I'll shove on him. :D

JuiceClouds

JuiceClouds

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I am the type of player who relentlessly opens from LP and leans on smaller stacks like you.

If you have a passive player to your left and he doesnt protect his blinds, if FREE money.

Obviously we can really open up our opening range when its been folded around to us in LP.

Late in tournys, each chip is much more valuable then they were in the early stages. Therefore stealing blinds is something you need to be doing to be successful at MTT.

If you are folding hands like AJ in the BB from aggressive BTN or SB openers, this is certainly a leak in your game and you are being exploited.

The good news is, its an easy thing to fix.

Frontiere

Frontiere

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If they do that all the time from SB , push him all in-they will be fold .They just stilling blinds.

B

BullWink

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Anytime I have someone constantly raising my BB just because they have position on me, I will defend myself. This doesn't mean I will play every pot, infact I usually fold until I get a good starting hand, and then reraise or shove. Once you've done this a couple of times, he will usually back off and only raise you when he has good pocket cards.

redcross

redcross

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's all on what your opponent has show you up to that point. If he has been bullying the entire game then you probably have a good idea what his hand is right. So raise over the top put that punk in his place. If he's been tight then fold away.

X

xCEZRx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm never giving my chips for free if someone is trying to steal all the time I wait for a reasonable hand and push that puts him on a decision for his tournament life and usually no one will call you but when they do you still hold a reasonable hand so you can still duble up, aint that great?

xaxawa

xaxawa

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
aggressive opponent play 40% hands from BT and 50% hands from SB.
therefore, you must protect your BB with hands 55+ and AT+ against BU and
with hands 44+ and Ax+ against SB. more see hand's range in Equilab (free software)

W

Weisssound

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Defending your blind is about balancing your image. Sometimes you have to make a play, and that's risky...

But poker is about taking chances.

At the same time, you don't ALWAYS have to defend your blind. Some people feel obligated to. You're not.

xastaria

xastaria

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't defend my blinds With unplayable cards but if i have Ace with anything or
or small pairs or suited, i am all in!And this opponent will never try to still you again!If he calls ok(coin flip),some times you have to gamble!!

LinkornU

LinkornU

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think you need reraise or shove once in a while to make these type of guys stop doing such things. You don't beleive that he has KK or AA everytime, do you?

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Project Moderator
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Steal and be stolen from.

Don't worry too much about having your blinds stolen but as people above have stated, snap off the stealer once in a while. Just make sure you are stealing the blinds of the players to your left.

N

nickolaussantaclaus

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
as for me - call with nice poket hand. if flop is good - all in)

X

Xmaster

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
show him that you are willing to defend your big blind..if he does this always, you have to widen your range. otherwise he will never stop to kick you around. you also have position if you just call with relatively good hand.

O

oMONSTERo

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They will never stop until you fight back. Just pick your battle wisely. There's no better feeling to have a player doing this and sending him packing when you pull the trigger.

diego farfan

diego farfan

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BO
Chips
The best is to match so do not compromise your BB

rock0001

rock0001

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
folding hands like aj, kq or 88 is - ev in the long run so unless its a near the bubble scenario you can shove all in with these hands or just call because you will have position over the small blind.

D

dejan85

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to protect my blind even if I risk tolose all stake.....

Folding in Poker