The problem with weak aces

A

asaell14

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when I have A, 3 I prefer to veer flop 3;)

T

Tosh_67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
They're called WEAK aces for good reason...

I tend to focus on playing STRONG hands in position... I'll play them on occasion but it's very situational... Usually a shove when short stacked...

Ljuk358

Ljuk358

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My rule is AX (X-10 and lower) play very rarely... If hit mi Ace, it lure me to making raises or calls, but it isn't very strong hand, when it is one caller on the table with me...

billbaffles

billbaffles

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a 3-handed game A4 unsuited is 39.45% chance of winning which is quite a bit of equity and more often than not also the best hand against 2 random hands. It wont always be the best hand but usually it will have the most equity and I wouldn't advise simply throwing it away because of the overall leak in the your game if you fold A4 unsuited on the button every time. It always depends on the situation though so i am not saying to go all-in every time but in certain situations I would definitely consider raising on the button and depending upon my opponents actions decide what to do from there.

W

Whangdoodle

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks all lots of great advice I'm definitely going to play my ax differently from now on. Happy hunting

wanted2090

wanted2090

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually fold it but If its A and 2,3,4 or 5 I also like playing it for a street possibility. If its suited I also play it usually.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I feel like I can just write this answer for almost any question.

You have to know your opponents and take advantage of your position. Don't be afraid to get away from the hand even if your Ace hits.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Usually, aces with low kicker, are folded, even if they are suited

B

bbiase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just don't overvalue them. They are generally solid hands if you're the aggressor, and generally poor hands if you are defending. Too many way ahead/way behind situations with tem. Always try to steal with them from late position if you are deep stacked.

Check out rule of Phil Gordon's rule of Ax for shortstack Ax play.

MoryMorte

MoryMorte

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So CORRECT play would be folding almost all of the off suited ones and calling maybe a min raise in Blinds or when you have position.
BUT, you don't play in wsop! You are playing with people that play A4 almost the same way they play AJ+. They hit an ace and they think they have the best hand ever!
If you are playing against looser player I would play most of them!

Syltan

Syltan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I avoid such vulnerable hands, but if they only play pot control.

M

Mauno

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mostly I must fold weak ace unless I'm in good position and it's cheap to see flop. Also it depends how opponents play. It can be worth to bet something to see flop.

H

HRVATSKIBOGMARS

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips
It depends about situation on the table. Sometimes "weak" ace is very strong:) ace. If is not some wild game I play every combination with ace.

max_cool20

max_cool20

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not like to playing with these combinations of cards, in many cases i have losing!

korneel

korneel

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
many are asking.
that problem could have with an A and a short kicker?
the problem is that when leaving an A on the flop and you do not want Remove any bet you make the opponent knowing that you are losing by the kicker.
so it is best to fold these cards when they are not suited: A with 2,3,4,5,6,7,8.

Just don't play AX problem solved :)