the problem with skill level at lower stakes

D

DunningKruger

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ocassionally, players will fare better at higher limits than lower ones. When this isn't simply a matter of variance / sample size, then it's mainly people who have trouble playing at their best when the stakes don't mean as much to them. To a lesser extent it's also people who can't adjust their game very well to the table conditions.

I will agree however that every self respecting poker player ought to have both the ability and the discipline to beat the lowest online limits. If you're unable to fare well against bad players then you're definitely not much of a player yourself.

Acesinthebig

Acesinthebig

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ocassionally, players will fare better at higher limits than lower ones. When this isn't simply a matter of variance / sample size, then it's mainly people who have trouble playing at their best when the stakes don't mean as much to them. To a lesser extent it's also people who can't adjust their game very well to the table conditions.

I will agree however that every self respecting poker player ought to have both the ability and the discipline to beat the lowest online limits. If you're unable to fare well against bad players then you're definitely not much of a player yourself.

+1

The play is not too different in the higher stakes game. You might see better players but there's plenty of donkey play. The game is the same, your goal is to beat it at any level you play. When I first started out I played with play money and within a week I was up to a million. My friends were amazed but I just assumed anyone could do it because its play money and all it said is that I spent too much time playing play money. Now I see not anyone can do it.

steveiam

steveiam

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For me lower limits are just for fun and practice,so im not expecting great results from them..

Lucothefish

Lucothefish

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Move up to where they respect your raises.

Or, stop playing book poker and start stacking fish.

R

RamdeeBen

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
+1

The play is not too different in the higher stakes game. You might see better players but there's plenty of donkey play. The game is the same, your goal is to beat it at any level you play. When I first started out I played with play money and within a week I was up to a million. My friends were amazed but I just assumed anyone could do it because its play money and all it said is that I spent too much time playing play money. Now I see not anyone can do it.

Yes it is the play is totally different.

A fish is a fish, fair enough and you do get people who spew just as bad at 1000nl as opposed to 10nl. However, the biggest difference is that there are thousands at 10nl where at 1000nl, there are so much less probably a hand full of players spread over the limits., Also; this is a quote from a high stakes player I remember distinctly (cant remember his name though) he said which I believe to be true; a fish at say a $5000 SnG is a lot better than your average fish at a micro game..

For me lower limits are just for fun and practice,so im not expecting great results from them..

That's fair enough too. I also took/take that line when playing 2nl/5nl occasionally, however it still doesn't mean I just shove all in for example and my winrate is still huge compared to other limits and you should still expect great results. I also take higher limits much more seriously, but don't have as good as results as I do at say 2nl but that is what should be expected. There's no reason you shouldn't expect great results unless you're literally playing like a donkey(shoving all in with bottom pair for example), which I assume you don't and if you're then you may aswell just go spew at play money?

steveiam

steveiam

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes it is the play is totally different.

A fish is a fish, fair enough and you do get people who spew just as bad at 1000nl as opposed to 10nl. However, the biggest difference is that there are thousands at 10nl where at 1000nl, there are so much less probably a hand full of players spread over the limits., Also; this is a quote from a high stakes player I remember distinctly (cant remember his name though) he said which I believe to be true; a fish at say a $5000 SnG is a lot better than your average fish at a micro game..

That's fair enough too. I also took/take that line when playing 2nl/5nl occasionally, however it still doesn't mean I just shove all in for example and my winrate is still huge compared to other limits and I take the higher limits much more seriously. There's no reason you shouldn't expect great results unless you're literally playing like a donkey, which I assume you don't and if you're then you may aswell just go spew at play money?
I think at the lower limits you are prepared to take the extra risk sometimes that you wouldn't take at a higher level.And your right about not always shoving .

steveiam

steveiam

CardsChat Elite
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Your obviously a good player ramdeebam and have a good undertsanding of the game maybe if your ever in London we can get together for a game..?