Probability maths

T

TH13gambler

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
what does anyone think on the idea that learning maths itself can improve poker game?
Any opinions? That ever been studied?

Trillian

Trillian

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Well of course pot odds are a crucial concept of poker. That said, as someone who studied mechanical engineering, I wouldn't call that math but basic calculation. As I like to jokingly say: Math is with letters, calculation is with numbers.

shykarno

shykarno

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mathematics is needed not to make stupid bets. sometimes you can do cheaper and then why risk extra money. Of course, with one math you won’t win much. you need intuition luck mastery of observation.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The more you know the luckier you tend to get. Knowledge is seldom a bad thing.

G

GameTooHard

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a confined enough game where if you're only looking to improve at poker you'd probably be better off remembering #outs equity%, pot odds basics etc... An actual knowledge of probability will give you an edge but not one that is outweighed by other ways you could be improving your game.

FernA9ndo

FernA9ndo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pot Odds, Implied Odds was a good start to me when I learned maths at poker.
Its simple and not complicated to learn it at all. You just need to understand the basics.

kaktyc

kaktyc

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The math in poker is simple. It is not to play with cards distant from each other more than four positions.

Nikolay Nakhaev

Nikolay Nakhaev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
math is needed for decision making but it is not used every time
right here said the participant that it is necessary in the game a few more important factors from the player to be successful)

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Iryna Stryzheuskaya

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Can you play poker without math?

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
The math in poker is simple. It is not to play with cards distant from each other more than four positions.
Is that all it is, now I can sleep better at night, I was under the impression that there was more to it, Thanks for your wisdom. :rolleyes:

:top:

P

Pickat

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Knowing the math is very important but I think getting to know your opponents and their tendencies is just as important . One skill without the other won't get you very far . Good luck

U

UncleConRon

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

Yes I think doing the probabilities is the way man is suppose to do it being surprised by the GODS when something out of the normal happens. GOD likes to switch that up not have the same person longer then a week win kind of like the way we change presidents. We all have are ways of getting there how does your way influence GOD and I think GOD likes to give ebryone a chance to input something in its CPU.

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is that all it is, now I can sleep better at night, I was under the impression that there was more to it, Thanks for your wisdom. :rolleyes:

:top:
It's almost perfect, except that you have to add the probability of successfully convicing your opponents that you have these cards, or whatever cards give 'the nuts'.
In math this may end up as a distribution matrix of probabilities that result from sets of partial differential equation with varying parameters.
Sorry to ruin your sleep:D

Joco413

Joco413

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes. It can improve your game. Especially learning statistics. If you can tell exactly or roughly the percentages you will have an easier time making decisions.
So yes being good at math can give you a decent advantage even at the poker table.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Something studied at counting outs and odds...

T

TH13gambler

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Never did say my opinion before the question???
my opinion is simple.
it cant do no harm.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Math is a huge field. Some of it is directly applicable to poker, but most of the probability math you'll use in poker is pretty basic - pot odds, etc. It's not something that takes a great deal of study to master.

As far as the more complex branches of math go, studying something like game theory could be useful, but I can't see a lot of the other branches being much direct help to your poker game.

I did advanced mathematics all the way through first year of university and honestly, if I had my time again, I'd go back and just do "dummies math" instead. That's the stuff I actually use every day, whereas I forgot everything I ever knew about the square root of negative one the moment I walked out of the exam...

R

rafffinamore

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
what does anyone think on the idea that learning maths itself can improve poker game?
Yes, I find the math fundamental for the development of the game, not only the mathematics of the letters, but the human mathematics, the one linked to psychology.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi
Obviously, mathematical knowledge can be used to effectively play poker. But honestly, I always rely more on my intuition. Maybe it is not professional, but no doubt it is fun.

G

geokara

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
math is important on pocker but the luckiest win!!!

salamaha

salamaha

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
luck is more important than math ..... I have so

uri73796

uri73796

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Poker consists of many components including the study of mathematics. Knowing the mathematics of poker warns against a lot of unnecessary consequences in making the right decisions.Also, to improve your game, it will not be superfluous to work on your mistakes (identification and correction) in the played tournaments.More knowledge and excellence is the key to success.

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
once upon a time i was super at math... now medical etc.. messes with mind a bit... did it give me an edge? yes in a way cause instant calculations knowing outs needed if call a shove or whatever if behind the risk reward?

but
chasing tells you math wise your a fool if you do it haha:) so U know you are being warned.... sometimes though is way more important where in tournament it is villians pay scale again thats major math and should be more important then knowing pot odds imo

so is a ton of math in poker... I get a lot better edges by other ways then math though...

carlosnuno

carlosnuno

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Mathematics has different applications in poker. At first it is basically about calculating the probability of winning the pot and asking yourself if we have a chance of winning the hand. It is impossible to avoid the question of probability, as it forms the essential basis for playing poker well.
Poker is not a game of chance: cards must be combined in a similar way to bridge. Texas Hold’Em is one of the best known and most played styles in the world. Luck is not the predominant factor in poker, but the wealth of combinations and the perfect mastery of emotions along with a good dose of strategy and opportunism.
I would say percentage 70% mathematics and 30% chance