Preflop Strategy

I

IndependentRider

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Hi. I’m new to this board and new to poker. I’m nearing my 60’s and looking to play online both recreationally and also to make a little profit. I plan to start with the 5c-10c nine player only tables on pokerstars and through some study have developed the following preflop strategy which I would appreciate any thoughts on.

I’ve divided the table into four general groups with the following opening raise range:

Group 1: UTG 1 and UTG 2 AA, KK, QQ, AKs, AQs
Group 2: Next three seats (middle position) JJ, TT, AJs, KQs, AKo*
Group 3: Cut Off: ATs, KJs, QJs, JTs, AQo*
Group 4: Button: KTs, QTs, J9s, T9s, 98s, AJo, KQo, all pairs and all suited aces*
*naturally including all previous groups ranges as well.

As for calling an opening raise I’ll be doing the following:

Calling an EP raise with: QQ, JJ, TT, AKo, AQs, AJs, KQs
Calling an MP raise with (including the above): 99, 88, AQo, KJs, QJs
Calling an LP raise with (including the above): 77, 66 ATs, AJo, KQo, KJo

My 3betting strategy is the following:

3bet an UTG 1 and 2 opening raise with AA, KK, AKs
3bet an MP opening raise with (in addition to the above): QQ
3bet an LP opening raise with (in addition to the above) JJ, AKo, AQs, AQo, AJs

I will be 4betting and going all in with AA, KK

I realize this is probably nitty but until I get experience and confidence under my belt I’d like to play cautiously for a while before widening my ranges. Again, anyone with time and inclination please feel free to give any thoughts and speculations. Thanks.

I should also add that I'll be starting with a 100 buy-in bankroll ($1000)

Amigodzzz

Amigodzzz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
DZ
Chips
Hello to you IndependentRider I advise you to do personalized training with poker professionals, with your strategy you are not sure to win for my part I am not doing any advertising for this website. but I would really like someone to help me in my beginnings before doing the stupid things I did aahahahahaha, good luck to you kindly https://bbzpoker.com/

I

IndependentRider

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Thanks, but at my beginning level of play (10 cents) a professional training site would likely bankrupt me quicker than even the worst variance swing! And there's tons of free training videos from respected authors and players on YouTube!

Last edited:
pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
At my beginning level of play (10 cents) a professional training site would likely bankrupt me quicker than even the worst variance swing! And there's tons of free training videos from respected authors and players on YouTube!
Do a search for free poker charts. You are playing way too tight.

Usually, remove your calling range except from the button and BB. Only flat call from the other positions if you play against bad players that you know can pay you off post-flop. Otherwise 3-bet or fold most of the time.

If you are uncomfortable with expanding your 3-bet range it is almost better to just call with everything and trap.

If you only 3-bet AA, KK, QQ, and AK in early and middle position they can exploit you by just folding or really attack you on low flops. You almost play your cards face up.

I

IndependentRider

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Do a search for free poker charts. You are playing way too tight.

Usually, remove your calling range except from the button and BB. Only flat call from the other positions if you play against bad players that you know can pay you off post-flop. Otherwise 3-bet or fold most of the time.

If you are uncomfortable with expanding your 3-bet range it is almost better to just call with everything and trap.

If you only 3-bet AA, KK, QQ, and AK in early and middle position they can exploit you by just folding or really attack you on low flops. You almost play your cards face up.
Thanks. Should have added in my original (long) post that I would sometimes also be 3betting the pairs and suited aces from the button to give a more polarized (less predictable) 3betting range.

I've been observing the 6max games on GGpoker and full ring (9 player) games on PokerStars for a short while now. I've found the 6 player games to be action oriented with table vpips sometimes exceeding 50 while the 9 player games on PokerStars are more restrained with an average table vpip between 20-25. While high vpips are great for the experienced sharks I'm finding the faster occurrence of the blinds in 6max a bit uncomfortable, so I'm targeting the 9 player games until my postflop play is more accomplished.

Shouldn't games where the players are generally playing tight be met with corresponding tighter opening, calling, and 3betting ranges?

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
In games where players are playing too tight you need to play looser. If the game is loose then you can tighten up.

It’s great you are getting your plan laid out with your pre flop strategy, lots of players don’t even do that. As you gain experience you will be able to tweak it based on what other players are up to.

Study everything. Don’t limit yourself on what to study because there is so much to learn from this game. Never be afraid to fail because this is how you are going to learn. Keep an open mind to learning and you will do great! Good luck!

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
Shouldn't games where the players are generally playing tight be met with corresponding tighter opening, calling, and 3betting ranges?
Like all things in Poker it depends.

If they are ultra nitty and we take the extreme example of a player that only raises with AA and KK: yes in this case you should only 3-bet with AA.

If they pay you off with overpairs when you hit a set for example you can call with all your pairs. If they fold the overpair to aggression too easily you can bluff them more post-flop at almost any scary board and with any two cards.

The above was an oversimplification, but it all boils down to how you can exploit the players who make mistakes in any form. Do they bluff too much or too little? Do they call too much or too little? If you can answer those two questions you can exploit a player and earn money from them.

Poker is not so much about how good you are, but how bad the other players are. You "just" have to make fewer mistakes. If you sit at a table where you do not see any big mistakes: Change table. (Unless you want to learn from them while you play). Even high-stakes professionals live from finding bad, or at least worse, players - so-called bum-hunting (in cash games).