Rumengh

Rumengh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
Hello I am interested to know how often the pot odds and odds to win influence your decision to play a hand or not, or other circumstances make you play the hand or not:fight:

AVLuke

AVLuke

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
pot odds are a way of calculating how much money you must risk to win the money in the pot. There is already a post on cards chat here: https://www.cardschat.com/odds-for-dummies.php but I will give you a brief overview.

For example if there is $10 in the pot and your opponent bets $10 then you must call $10 to win the $20 now in the middle ($10 from your opponents bet and $10 in the pot from previous betting rounds). So the odds are $20:$10(reward:risk) or $2:$1. For every $1 you bet you stand to win $2, provided you have the best hand.

Now from here you can do some simple maths outlined in the link above to calculate how much equity you need to call the bet, due to the odds. This vaires from situation to sitaution, but say your opponent bets 1/2 pot, you must win 25% of the time to be profitable. If you only have a gutshot straight draw, then you have about 8% equity. 8%<25% and so your call here would be a losing one. You hit your draw far too little to make this call profitable.

B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll use odds at different times depending on the type of game I'm playing. I feel it's important to note that calculating odds is just one part of the game.

In cash games, I'll consider them almost every hand. In a tournament, I feel there's a point in the game -- assuming you've held in there long enough to build a decent stack -- when it's time to start playing the odds. Before then, my goal is to accumulate chips. So, I play relatively loose and aggressively in the beginning trying to control the betting and stealing pots; at that point in the game odds aren't really relevant to me.

That's just my personal style. Some players are very meticulous about playing the odds all the time, and it works for them. In any case, understanding odds is something you should definitely shoot for. The more you know about the game, the better you'll play. :)

R

rigor mortis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pot odds are a guide and a lot of other factors come into the equation when playing a hand.
I never bet on hands that have the barest of odds, but wait for higher odds to bet.

bc2017

bc2017

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'll use pot odds to decide if I'm getting the right price to draw to a strong straight or flush - if an opponent bets their hand too big, I'll probably not have the odds and can let these draws go.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And this is why I prefer NLH. Bet size and pot odds usually go hand in hand. It helps you decrypt what your opponent may have.

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hello I am interested to know how often the pot odds and odds to win influence your decision to play a hand or not, or other circumstances make you play the hand or not:fight:
Ever you know you has a weak hand, to know if worth to keep trying to hit your value, you regard the pot odds with win odds.

Rumengh

Rumengh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
I agree with you and all the things that commented on the case. It is interesting to note that poker basics are part of the game and you need to know but in some situations, especially in tournaments depending on the situation these rules are often ignored.

Poker Odds - Pot & Implied Odds - Odds Calculator