Chips
The best position is on the button

B

braveslice

Pull-ups!
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Position in poker, as you probably already know, is really important. Sam Braids, a noteworthy poker author, lists "Position" amongst five other criteria for making decisions about playing Texas Hold'em. These are his criteria - 1) your cards, 2) your position, 3) number of players, 4) pot odds, and 5) opponent playing styles. All these criteria are important, individually and collectively. Each are worth studying on their own, or, as a part of a collective decision-making process that helps you with your game.

My point in showing you this list is to zero-in on where Braids places position in order of importance. It is number 2, second only to the hole cards you have been dealt. And, there is a reason for why position is number 2 rather than number 1, and that is simply that you must play cards "appropriate for your position." NOTE WELL: As Braids explains: "In an early position, you are forced throughout the hand to make decisions with the least amount of information. For example, if before the flop, you call the blind..., you could be faced with a raise from one or more players with premium pairs. Since you don’t know what raises you will be faced with, don’t play cards from an early position that are too weak ...."

In other words, (A) from an early position, play strong cards only because (B) you do not have on hand the information you need to otherwise engage because (C) early position players are blind to subsequent plays by players in middle or later positions. It follows therefore that (D) the later the position you play from the better because (E) it gives you more information with which to (F) make the most informed decisions about how your opponents are playing their cards and (G) how you can or cannot play those in your own hands.

Nice recap.

Andrei Korolev

Andrei Korolev

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Read articles about the position and advantages of cards in which position to play...

J

james bright

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
what are the best position to play in poker ? Is the better to play first or late ? How can I know if I m in good position or not ?
well you definatly want to act last.and you want to be right behind the big stack to have position over him good luck at the tables!

zwbb

zwbb

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The position at the poker table is a factor that is greatly underestimated by many novice poker players. Your position at the poker table can (and will) have a significant impact on winnings / losses with the same starting hand.

Therefore, I would advise you to study the literature on this issue, before starting the game.

:)

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
what are the best position to play in poker ? Is the better to play first or late ? How can I know if I m in good position or not ?

If you want the best position, you want to be on the button known as the dealer because you get to act last after the opening bets therefore get a sense of how weak or strong your opponents depending on the board texture.

You most often want to play in late position that is the button, the cutoff known as the player to right of the button and the player to the right after that.

Late position gives you a chance to play loose since you get to act last while early position is more selective and you have to act first without prior information.

Chalada12

Chalada12

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks everyone, all the answers were very helpful. I have learned a lot about position in poker.

Last edited:
playinggameswithu

playinggameswithu

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to think about how the hand will play out if you are to be succesful. Like I don't play suited connectors OOP because they will take my entire stack OOP, while in IP they are considerably profitable and tricky especially 1 gapper,avoid 2 gapper as the statistical probability of completing a straight goes down considerably.

G

guitaRisGood

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Button is best for sure... but know how and when to play from all positions!

22meandu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The very best position is CHIP LEADER at the end . :star:

Sil3ntness

Sil3ntness

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The button is always going to be your best position because you will always be last to act post flop to see what everyone else in the hand is doing. It gives you more opportunities to steal a pot or get away from a pot if there is too much action prior to your turn.

For example if everyone is checking and look weak you can potentially take a stab at the pot and win with like 3 high instead of going to showdown where you know you will lose. Another example, you have a low bottom pair and you have a raise and reraise happening before you even get to act. Now you can easily fold your hand without having put a single extra chip into the pot.

Button is very valuable position to be in. It should be one of your top money making positions if you're tracking your hand histories.

S

Sorin Iliescu

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if you don't know the positions, you can read pokersutra for more information

Zhubiitis

Zhubiitis

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
the best position button very good cut-off too...play from late position you can made some bluffy raises steel blinds from early position play only very strong hands

masik6

masik6

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The best position is the big blind .

swannymojo

swannymojo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The easy answer is, the button is the best position in poker. You can try different things differently from different positions however. SOmetimes in tourneys when the blinds are 1/5 of the average stack, the first to bet (depending on who is in and their ranges) on a bricked board is typically the one to take it down. In which case, before in front of the button would be slightly advantageious in occossional situations.

Chalada12

Chalada12

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The very best position is CHIP LEADER at the end . :star:
Yes that what most the answers say . Thank you .
The button is always going to be your best position because you will always be last to act post flop to see what everyone else in the hand is doing. It gives you more opportunities to steal a pot or get away from a pot if there is too much action prior to your turn.

For example if everyone is checking and look weak you can potentially take a stab at the pot and win with like 3 high instead of going to showdown where you know you will lose. Another example, you have a low bottom pair and you have a raise and reraise happening before you even get to act. Now you can easily fold your hand without having put a single extra chip into the pot.

Button is very valuable position to be in. It should be one of your top money making positions if you're tracking your hand histories.
What you are saying is reasonable, I agree with you , it gives you the advantage of watching what s happening on the table before your turn to play .
if you don't know the positions, you can read pokersutra for more information
Thank you , I know position , and I m always learning , and this thread is the kind of thread where others can learn and apprentice too .Not just me
the best position button very good cut-off too...play from late position you can made some bluffy raises steel blinds from early position play only very strong hands
Yes , strong hands only it’s better Incase someone try some bluffy raises .
The easy answer is, the button is the best position in poker. You can try different things differently from different positions however. SOmetimes in tourneys when the blinds are 1/5 of the average stack, the first to bet (depending on who is in and their ranges) on a bricked board is typically the one to take it down. In which case, before in front of the button would be slightly advantageious in occossional situations.
Sometimes u have to bet first to act if u want to steal that pot , better not that makes you go in tilt

bablo

bablo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best position on the button I agree with all, the flop you will have the last word and you will see how the opponents played and what you do.

uriell

uriell

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best when you are on button

Attachments

• masters-dealer-button-b_enl.JPG
    masters-dealer-button-b_enl.JPG
    117 KB · Views: 13
Chalada12

Chalada12

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The best position on the button I agree with all, the flop you will have the last word and you will see how the opponents played and what you do.
Yes you are right, on the button is the best position
The best when you are on button
Yeees , that s correct . Good luck in tables

Anjo

Anjo

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Always weighted.
I see the position as one more dice in your play, if my cards are weak I do not have because of turvarate vangem of the position.

GL!

^A^njo

2Rockets2

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Position

Position is determined based on your location to the dealer and how many people are to ack behind you so the later the better so you have position on people to your right depending on the button