Poorly played hand or just a bad beat

B

BradC31

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I opened with A8 in the SB 4 players see the flob and it comes A Q 8 I flop two pair. the player next to me raises but small I call the other two fold. The turn comes another Ace. I get the full house. The player next to me raises again so I reraise and he calls. The river comes a 4 he raises again I call. He turns over AQ for the higher full house. Should I have played this differently. I'm new to the game so if the phrasing is incorrect I apologize.

A8 vs AQ

AQ8 A 4

Last edited:
puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I opened with A8 in the SB 4 players see the flob and it comes A Q 8 I flop two pair. the player next to me raises but small I call the other two fold. The turn comes another Ace. I get the full house. The player next to me raises again so I reraise and he calls. The river comes a 4 he raises again I call. He turns over pocket Q for the higher full house. Should I have played this differently. I'm new to the game so if the phrasing is incorrect I apologize.

A8 vs QQ

AQ8 A 4

You have the higher full house.

Aces full of 8s > Queens full of Aces.

Are you sure you have the hand right?

W

whyfold that

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
all depends on what goes on in the hnd if dome one sucks out on you bad beat

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
So just based on your description this is a cooler. You went in with a decent ace rag and hit two pair. There is no way you can know that your opponent hit two pair as well. It's definitely possible but you can't know that he has AQ instead of AK, AJ, AT, KK, QQ, some other higher pair. Unfortunately once both of you hit on the flop, there is no getting away from the result unless you play supper nitty and put him on just that one hand being AQ. It's just a risk that you take when calling a raise.

TheNutz4You

TheNutz4You

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Do not dwell on these types of hands. They suck, it's unfortunate, nothing you could really do differently tbh.

You'll be on the other end of this scenario many times over a large playing sample, so just chalk it up to bad luck and move on :)

B

bucky_barnes

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I probably wouldn't be raising A8 from the sb just because I would be out of position the rest of the hand, my hand isn't that strong, and if someone is slow playing a big hand and they 3bet, I have to give up my chips because I can't call the 3bet. A8 is also a hand that you want to see a cheap flop out of position, if you flop well you can get paid off. If you don't, you fold and minimize your chip loss. By floping well, you want at least 2 pair as you could still run into trouble if the flop is A-5-9 and someone is playing A10. But other than that, I don't think you get away from this hand. It's just a cooler, or when you run a strong hand into a stronger hand but neither of you made a mistake in playing how you did. Just shrug it off and move on.

Not sure, by the way you worded things, if you got it all-in on the river or not. If not, at least you saved yourself some chips.

Last edited:
phoenixKK

phoenixKK

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
I think you played well but you were unfortunate in the higher full house of the oponent.That's just poker.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First of all there is a section for hand reviews, so please post there next time. Its also better, if you can get hand on the actual hand history and then use the hand converter here on CC, because in that way no information about stack sizes and bet sizes etc. are missed. But with that being said lets look at the hand with the information, you gave.

Preflop
If you opened from SB, and 4 players saw the flop, then there must have been limpers in front of you. In that case I lean towards just completing with A8o, because if you raise, it needs to be very large, and probably you still get at least one caller, in which case you are out of position in a bloated pot with A8o. Right off the bat thats not something, I am looking forward to, so I would prefer to keep the pot small and then raise some stronger aces like AJ or AT, or raise with A8, when I have position on the limpers. Its not a terrible raise with A8o, but its definitely on the aggressive side.

Flop
Its unclear to me, what happened on the flop, but you say, he raised, which per definition must mean, that you bet, because otherwise he can not raise. And I would clearly bet here. I might also put in a 3-bet, especially if it was a 2-tone board, so that someone could have a flushdraw. But depending on stack sizes bet-calling can also be a fine option with the intention of getting it in later.

Turn
Great turn card for you, because now you even beat QQ and 88, AA is no longer possible, and AQ is only half as likely being reduced from 6 to just 3 combos. If seem like, you check-raised now, and thats totally fine.

River
The river card obviously does not matter, and I am starting to think, that you mean "bet", when you say raise. In that case you checked the river after taking the initiative on the turn, and I dont like that play. You need to get stacks in, when you have the second nuts, and only 3 combos beat you. If you went to showdown without being all-in, that a massive mistake costing you tons of value in the long run.

Results
So he had the only hand, that beat you. Thats called a cooler, and while coolers are annoying, they are also part of the game, and they tend to level out over time. So in reality they do not matter at all. Sooner or later he, or someone else, will have second boat, when you have top boat, and then they will also lose all their money or chips to you. So while a hand like this is painfull, there is very little to learn from it, especially when you did not share the things, that actually matter, which are the exact bet sizes and order of action.

Sergei 9417

Sergei 9417

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey
I think that you just didn't get it, this is a game in which there are no two winners, today he, tomorrow you

blueskies

blueskies

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Why are you opening with A8 frm sb anyway. If you get called you are playing from OOP with a lousy hand.

I get it that you wanna punish ppl for limping, but if you are constantly raising up the pot from SB with mediocre stuff that's easily dominated by a better ace and most times you have nothing. So what are you just hoping to take the pot by bullying the other guy? If he limped and called ya, he's probably not going away if he hits a piece of the board. If you keep inflating the pot from SB/BB, you are probably gonna be a losing player unless you happen to be very lucky and/or you play against dummies.

Nothing wrong with dumping ace rags. I punt'em all the time. Pick and choose your spots to ratchet up the aggression. You don't have to contest every hand.

A

AllOut

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
all respect to the previous analyzers but I have less to say mate. He got top two pair. How else you could play differently? If you shove your whole bankroll there on the flop, he call. If you make re-raise pre-flop he still calls or raise maybe. That's the exact same for you since he bet whatever, you won't fold right? This is just another moment where you have to lose and pay. Anyway you're not going to fold aces full.
Nothing else need to say, good luck buddy. You did right play.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands