pokerapprentice23

pokerapprentice23

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
Hey there,
maybe this is the right thread to post my query.
I'm starting to learn how to play poker and I'm very conscious of the preparation, effort and discipline needed to make progress - so I'm NOT PLAYING but READING first.
I'm working through poker books and pre-flop strategy and the like. It's fascinating: like a road-map to a new adventurous journey and I'm looking forward to taking one step at a time slowly ... here is my question:
How do you advise to put all this well-written and well-read strategy into practice? There is so much information out there! And so little chance to experiment in the field.
And everybody says: Study your opponent - make notes - revise your game - try out ... well how am I supposed to do all that?

One piece of the puzzle at the time? Like for instance starting Limit-Hold'em online and then proceed to Pot-Limit and then on to No Limit?
Or No-Limit Hold'em Microstakes?
Or freerolls? Or home-rounds?

How do you guys study and play at the same time? I read somewhere that there should be a 30/70 ratio between study/playing.
But as a beginner- I reckon - playing is also studying. I can't find the right starting point because I'm a little overwhelmed.

Please let me know your thoughts and/or your personal "path" to become the player you currently are.

Much appreciated,
Thanks for bearing up with me and reading this.

Keep floppin' ;-)
Fred

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Education is the foundation of a successful poker career. Even world-famous professionals do not stop devoting a significant part of their time to theory. Poker is a game in which there is a factor of luck, so there cannot be a single winning strategy in it that would work in any scenario.If it is more convenient for you to watch the lessons in video format, then we advise you to pay attention to the training videos on the GipsyTeam YouTube channel.Currently, there are many variants of poker, each with its own unique features and gameplay. However, the goal of the game remains the same - to get the best poker hand.Poker is a game of luck, skill and the ability to recognize situations and opponents. Moreover, it is also a mathematical game. Players must be able to calculate their chances of winning just as well as their opponents. Having a solid understanding of your chances can bring you closer to victory, giving you a significant advantage over other players.

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I can advice you to try the game called: 'governor of poker'. It is incredible fun, with cool caracters and aims & a free game. You can test your basic knowledge about poker, and have some realistic parties with bots.
There are several play money sites as well, with real opponents if you wanna have a taste of it.
Many pokersites have freerolls, and some premium ones like CC.
If you feel ready yourself playing for real money, with a good bankroll management you can do it from micros to the top.

This road is really like stairs, some will never have the proper steps to move upper or enjoy it, but some find their rythm and climb some or even implement themselves. Well, good luck! :)

gravii2011

gravii2011

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Poker education is very important if you're playing high stakes with professionals. And if you're playing freerolls, reading at least 10 books, they're not going to help you. because people play for luck.

pokerapprentice23

pokerapprentice23

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
I can advice you to try the game called: 'Governor of Poker'. It is incredible fun, with cool caracters and aims & a free game. You can test your basic knowledge about poker, and have some realistic parties with bots.
There are several play money sites as well, with real opponents if you wanna have a taste of it.
Many pokersites have freerolls, and some premium ones like CC.
If you feel ready yourself playing for real money, with a good bankroll management you can do it from micros to the top.

This road is really like stairs, some will never have the proper steps to move upper or enjoy it, but some find their rythm and climb some or even implement themselves. Well, good luck! :)
Thanks a lot. I will check that out.
cheeers
Fred

Keep generating +EV ;-)

Eduard0Felipe

Eduard0Felipe

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
To be constantly successful and always continue to evolve in poker, studying is fundamental, but so is volume, so decide right away where you want to start and start, you will learn a lot by studying, but much more by playing. Reviewing your games is very important too, it allows you to check where you've been going wrong.

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Playing is important too as especially at microstakes as players will play very different to theory and you need to learn to adjust.

I remember having read Modern Poker Theory and thinking I needed to stack off with AK preflop, which is a disaster at 2NL. I would suggest playing microstakes and getting a feel for things, no need to go go fixed limit or pot limit first, if you want to play no limit just play that.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hey there,
I'm starting to learn how to play poker and I'm very conscious of the preparation, effort and discipline needed to make progress - so I'm NOT PLAYING but READING first.
I'm working through poker books and pre-flop strategy and the like. It's fascinating: like a road-map to a new adventurous journey and I'm looking forward to taking one step at a time slowly ... here is my question:
How do you advise to put all this well-written and well-read strategy into practice? There is so much information out there! And so little chance to experiment in the field.
And everybody says: Study your opponent - make notes - revise your game - try out ... well how am I supposed to do all that?

One piece of the puzzle at the time? Like for instance starting Limit-Hold'em online and then proceed to Pot-Limit and then on to No Limit?
Or Freerolls? Or home-rounds?

How do you guys study and play at the same time? I read somewhere that there should be a 30/70 ratio between study/playing.
But as a beginner- I reckon - playing is also studying. I can't find the right starting point because I'm a little overwhelmed.

Please let me know your thoughts and/or your personal "path" to become the player you currently are.

Much appreciated,

Keep floppin' ;-)
Fred
OK so the next step for you is to play- Cardschat has freerolls start there- you lose no money and gain experience- and start winning real money
It is not necessary to learn limit or pot limit first if your goal is to play NL

The key to studying and playing is to review your hands after you play- There are free hand trackers that you can use to capture your hands
I use hand2note-this helps you to see your mistakes and share hands here in the forums-

This is the next step you have to play for a while to get the feel for what you need to do to take the step after that.

After playing for 10 MTT's review and then share and ask more questions then

Poker is a game that takes a lifetime to master but it is done one step at a time

pokerapprentice23

pokerapprentice23

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
To be constantly successful and always continue to evolve in poker, studying is fundamental, but so is volume, so decide right away where you want to start and start, you will learn a lot by studying, but much more by playing. Reviewing your games is very important too, it allows you to check where you've been going wrong.
Thank you! You're right - I need to have both balanced out.

pokerapprentice23

pokerapprentice23

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
OK so the next step for you is to play- Cardschat has freerolls start there- you lose no money and gain experience- and start winning real money
It is not necessary to learn limit or pot limit first if your goal is to play NL

The key to studying and playing is to review your hands after you play- There are free hand trackers that you can use to capture your hands
I use hand2note-this helps you to see your mistakes and share hands here in the forums-

This is the next step you have to play for a while to get the feel for what you need to do to take the step after that.

After playing for 10 MTT's review and then share and ask more questions then

Poker is a game that takes a lifetime to master but it is done one step at a time
Thank you very much. That is very valid advice. The freerolls and the 30 Day Course will be my starting point.
Thanks for the technical advice, too. I get my software sorted.

Have a great weekend!
Fred

pokerapprentice23

pokerapprentice23

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
Playing is important too as especially at microstakes as players will play very different to theory and you need to learn to adjust.

I remember having read Modern Poker Theory and thinking I needed to stack off with AK preflop, which is a disaster at 2NL. I would suggest playing microstakes and getting a feel for things, no need to go go fixed limit or pot limit first, if you want to play no limit just play that.
Thanks. I was thinking about microstakes, too.
Fair comment about the limit games ... this is not really were I see myself, although at the moment it feels better because I can focus on the cards and not on the betting ... kind of breaks the games down a little ... frees my mind.
At the same time it is of course more of a routine without all of the action.

Have a nice weekend!
Fred

christovam

christovam

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hi, very interesting your willingness to learn how to play poker with the theoretical background in an initial way. However, I see that practice is essential. I am also a beginner, but from what I have played and learned, there are things you should learn in practice, namely: different stacks at the table, tournament phases, Identifying the weak at the table, among other things that in practice is better than extreme and hypothetical situations. The pros themselves tend to indicate that you practice the concepts.

So, my recommendation is that you play very cheap tournaments or freerolls to train while you study. Watch reviews of other participants and try to see the comments of these plays.

Aballinamion

Aballinamion

Sleeping with the Dark Lady of the Sith
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hey there,

Much appreciated,

Keep floppin' ;-)
Fred
It makes me very glad to read all of this mate, I strongly recommend you to continue your studies and work and most certainly you will achieve success in any area of poker.
It is very good that you are involved in theory before starting to play but some things we perform best when we get them done.
If you are not secure to make a deposit, start to play Play Money tables, as available at pokerstars.
Theory and practice walk hand to hand and you must feel for yourself what the theory is talking about, and realize that although is hard, it is not impossible.
Start with Play Money, than move to freerolls and make an experience. If you fell that all of these are too easy, then make a deposit or build a bankroll by playing freerolls and pick up a game style that best suits your personal life and professional objectives and begin to specialize.
There are several poker variants and ways, however, the only area I feel a little secure to talk about is 6-MAX, Cash Games, regular tables (not Fast Play ones such as PokerStars famous Zoom).
It is clear to perceive that I specialized in just one specific area of poker, the one that fits my personal and professional means.
That being said, I’m complete amateur when it comes to Cash Fast Play tables, Full-Ring tables (9-MAX), and know nothing about tournaments, Spin & Go, Fixed Limit, Pot Limit, Omaha, Stud, Five Card Draw, you name it!
Anyway, keep on moving being sure that things that really matter in our lives, things that we love and have to sweat to work upon it, don’t come easily.

pokerapprentice23

pokerapprentice23

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
Hi, very interesting your willingness to learn how to play poker with the theoretical background in an initial way. However, I see that practice is essential. I am also a beginner, but from what I have played and learned, there are things you should learn in practice, namely: different stacks at the table, tournament phases, Identifying the weak at the table, among other things that in practice is better than extreme and hypothetical situations. The pros themselves tend to indicate that you practice the concepts.

So, my recommendation is that you play very cheap tournaments or freerolls to train while you study. Watch reviews of other participants and try to see the comments of these plays.
Hey,
thanks for your reply.
Of course you are right: all the skills needed AT the table for interaction with the players (identifying the weak, bluffing, tournament dynamics) are best learnt AT the table for sure.
But for my own game I prefer preparation in a more closed environment first (GTO; betting; placing players on a range).
As you rightly said: it's a mix of skills.
Thanks for your time!

Best regards,
Fred

pokerapprentice23

pokerapprentice23

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
It makes me very glad to read all of this mate, I strongly recommend you to continue your studies and work and most certainly you will achieve success in any area of poker.
It is very good that you are involved in theory before starting to play but some things we perform best when we get them done.
If you are not secure to make a deposit, start to play Play Money tables, as available at PokerStars.
Theory and practice walk hand to hand and you must feel for yourself what the theory is talking about, and realize that although is hard, it is not impossible.
Start with Play Money, than move to freerolls and make an experience. If you fell that all of these are too easy, then make a deposit or build a bankroll by playing freerolls and pick up a game style that best suits your personal life and professional objectives and begin to specialize.
There are several poker variants and ways, however, the only area I feel a little secure to talk about is 6-MAX, Cash Games, regular tables (not Fast Play ones such as PokerStars famous Zoom).
It is clear to perceive that I specialized in just one specific area of poker, the one that fits my personal and professional means.
That being said, I’m complete amateur when it comes to Cash Fast Play tables, Full-Ring tables (9-MAX), and know nothing about tournaments, Spin & Go, Fixed Limit, Pot Limit, Omaha, Stud, Five Card Draw, you name it!
Anyway, keep on moving being sure that things that really matter in our lives, things that we love and have to sweat to work upon it, don’t come easily.
Hello,
many thanks for your detailed reply. I appreciate it.
I started playing with Play Money already - it's a good start.
And you are also right about finding YOUR GAME ... I realize that there are so many variations out there that I have to try out.

Best of luck ... and skill of course ;-)
Fred

BOXING71

BOXING71

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I'm also just starting to play poker. I learn one topic or poker strategy, and then I put it into practice. Yes, freeroll and small limits also seem like luck to me. But you can lose good money with a higher limit. But you choose

S

Station_Master

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I recommend game money sites first. Just like me.
I think micro tables are better if you can afford to lose a few $. As play money plays differently to real games with money at stake.

Also it's too easy just to call bets to see what villain had instead of learning the discipline to fold

pokerapprentice23

pokerapprentice23

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
I think micro tables are better if you can afford to lose a few $. As play money plays differently to real games with money at stake.

Also it's too easy just to call bets to see what villain had instead of learning the discipline to fold
Oh, yes! You're right! I already burnt quite a lot of play money on "foolish" draw chases ... so come next month/pay check ... let's venture some $
;-)

frnandoh

frnandoh

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I think you are wishing to scape from studies. I have already heard a lot of beginners saying that the theory doesnt works and it woud be better to learn by the game. But I have never heard a profitable player saying that becomes a winner without studying. If you allow a tip: Keep studying ever while you have any interest in the game or be always a loser. Dont think I am being rude, it's just a real and bitter tip. Good Luck in your studies and be welcome to secret society of gut shot hunters.

MishkaZL

MishkaZL

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hey there,

Much appreciated,

Keep floppin' ;-)
Fred
I study and play at the same time and I have done it since the beginning and I do it now.
1. I recommend that you start with freerolls and thus build a bankroll.
2. I recommend that you focus on tournaments, and play only the most popular type of poker, i.e. NL Hold'em.
3. I recommend you our free course, which will help you better understand the basic principles of the game.
Be patient and after 2-3 months you will be surprised by your own results :)

pokerapprentice23

pokerapprentice23

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
DE
Chips
I think you are wishing to scape from studies. I have already heard a lot of beginners saying that the theory doesnt works and it woud be better to learn by the game. But I have never heard a profitable player saying that becomes a winner without studying. If you allow a tip: Keep studying ever while you have any interest in the game or be always a loser. Dont think I am being rude, it's just a real and bitter tip. Good Luck in your studies and be welcome to secret society of gut shot hunters.
Hey there,

thanks for your reply. I'm not trying to escape studying - at the moment it seems like the opposite: I keep reading and researching and feel intimidated by the overwhelming info. I don't dare starting playing ... well, that's exaggerated, but anyway I'm trying to take in as much as I can and practice little by little.

But the speed of online poker is not really suitable for lots of thinking - in my short experience yesterday in the Freeroll (I survived 20 minutes).
So I think, more preparation is needed before starting to play.

I find the CardsChat 30 day training course very useful and this is what I'm doing now, before planning anything else.

Best regards,
Fred