Poker stakes - Bankroll Management question

cjmoles

cjmoles

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Wow....Good stuff here. bankroll Management is the secret to making money playing poker....easy to take risks and end up getting stacked so the best advice is to stick to the plan and have self disciplin when managing your bankroll.

K

Karametric

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It somewhat depends on how you play.

A Nit can afford a more aggressive BRM scheme than an LAG, because the variance is smaller in how they play. Don't take too much license with this though.

A good general rule of thumb is around 30 buyins for cash around 100 buyins for tourneys. In cash, I like to make a 2 BI shot at the next level when I have 50 BI at the current level and am playing well at it (so I start playing 10NL at $300, take a $50 shot at 25nl when I reach $500, and switch to 25nl as my primary game at $750). If I do well at my shot I switch between the limits between $500 and $750.

So with $100 than means you are playing 2nl, maybe some 4nl if you know have a skill edge over the competition. Definitely not 10nl, as even well played coolers and bad beats can murder your roll quickly. If you do okay, move to 4nl (assuming the site has it). Take a shot at 10nl at about $200 (2 buyins) and go from there.

Yes, it's a long grind, especially if you don't multi-table (i don't). But much more aggressive than this and you run the risk of losing it with just a little bad luck.

J

JKo2theQQ

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
THE MOST IMPORTANT THING IS TO PLAY WHERE YOU ARE COMFORTABLE. When choosing what level to play at you need to decide how much money you are comfortable risking. If you sit at a table where you are scared or nervous about losing your buy in, it will effect the way you play. As far as a rule of thumb, I have heard everything from 2% of your bankroll up to 20% of your bankroll. Try out smaller tables first and if you feel good about it, you can try moving up a level. Good Luck at the tables.

TomLeach

TomLeach

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think its better to teach you how to fish than to give you a fish now and another in a few months...

Work out your Actual Bankroll: Your actual bankroll is how much you have to spend on poker, not necessarily whats in your Stars account, or FT account etc. If you never plan to redeposit, then the 100$ is your actual roll.

For tournaments, look into ABI ( a lot of the professionals and players in america (thats play on different sites) use this))

For cash, id go for 30-40BIs, depending on how you play, the more TAG the less you can probably have BI wise as youre looking at lower variance than your LAG brothers... IMO if you are ABC you will be better than the micros, so take to 5NL, and see if you can win there,, if you go through 3+ BIs then drop down to 2NL.

Theres a concept called a 'shot taking roll' so say your BR is 70$, that gives you 35BIs and 2NL, so you can put any winnings into a shot taking roll, which is the bank roll you will use to take shots at the next level, in this case 5NL, so when you have 15$ in the STR, you can go take 3BIs to 5NL and see how you cope :)

Hope this helps, pm me or skype for any other info...

Bankroll Building - Bankroll Management