1sunchin

1sunchin

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What does poker skill mean to you?

What qualities do you need to develop to improve it?

Z

zerosalex

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Being able to read where your opponents hands sit and how to capitalize on that. Learning how to ready body language of human beings is critical to make a lot of money in a short amount of time.

Newzooozooo

Newzooozooo

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Hi.
In my opinion, a skilled player is first and foremost an experienced, patient and disciplined player. And that's why I think the most important factors are patience, discipline and experience.
Good luck.

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
patience , patience and then more patience :)) , seriously if you are not able to analyze your and opponent game go play darts :)

1sunchin

1sunchin

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
patience , patience and then more patience :)) , seriously if you are not able to analyze your and opponent game go play darts :)
To play darts you need some skill also, to play bingo you need only money - nothing more.

Artbart805

Artbart805

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Making the best decision with the hand you are dealt in the present situation!

Juan Oro

Juan Oro

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Reading the game and about your opponents is the most important skill in poker, since with this you will make better decisions in your game and it will make you minimize the losses in hands that are behind and increase your profits in hands when it is due. in front of your opponents.

1sunchin

1sunchin

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Reading the game and about your opponents is the most important skill in poker, since with this you will make better decisions in your game and it will make you minimize the losses in hands that are behind and increase your profits in hands when it is due. in front of your opponents.
On my mind, poker skill is the complex of skills, such as patience, reading the game, calculation of probabilities and so on, by which you minimize looses when you're unlucky and maximize profit when you're lucky.

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

To me, "poker skill" is any player dependent ability which helps us win more often and is unrelated to the luck (variance) of the math. Skills like bankroll management, hand reading, patience and many more are qualities which I consider a skill :)

Phoenix Wright

Phoenix Wright

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is called "playing by Game Theory Optimal".

Funny, but sometimes the "exploitative" route wins even more than GTO! Game Theory Optimal works under the important premise that the opponents are unexploitable. At the high stakes level of today, GTO is an important element because balancing your ranges and actions is crucial, so opponents can't exploit you relentlessly. However, this doesn't mean that GTO and Exploitative are opposing forces; the contemporary pro can utilize both. :cool:

At least at my levels of cardschat freerolls and micro stakes, exploitative is the name of the game - luckily, that gives me plenty of time to learn and refine GTO ideas before I need them out of necessity. Knowing a little GTO at an earlier level isn't necessarily a bad idea (and still a great approach when your opponents are unknowns to you and you haven't labeled their play-style or weaknesses to exploit), but it isn't likely to be used much until higher levels of play :)

pljosko

pljosko

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
On my mind, poker skill is the complex of skills, such as patience, reading the game, calculation of probabilities and so on, by which you minimize looses when you're unlucky and maximize profit when you're lucky.
I totally agree with you.
Courage is also very important. We are often in a position to decide whether to choose patience or courage. The skill is to assess the moment when it is necessary to take a risk.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

Hello.
In my opinion, the most important thing is the ability to stay patient throughout the tournament. I have seen from my own experience that it is very difficult to remain patient, but at the same time it plays a crucial role in the results.

R

ROYALROAD

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Whatever poker skill you have, you have to wait until it's time to use it.
Don't forget it.

M

mara2259

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't want to offend anyone, but for the participants of this forum, poker skill is like a carrot on a fishing rod. It's no secret that many are here to become a member or keep their membership in a freeroll club. A true poker master and a freeroll participant are incompatible concepts. :icon_joke

Uncloggie

Uncloggie

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the best measure of skill is easily reflected by bankroll. Going up? Skills are there and will only get better with time. Going down ? You have much to learn.

Cheers and Good Luck out there.

R

ronn6583

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The skill to choose starting hands depending on position.
The skill to play a hand depending on the cards of the flop, turn and river, taking into account the actions of opponents.

ChubbySin

ChubbySin

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my path to become a good player, I regard patient and guts to take decision in critical times, however nothing replaces the experience of ,more than,a thousand hands seen.

1sunchin

1sunchin

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The skill to choose starting hands depending on position.
The skill to play a hand depending on the cards of the flop, turn and river, taking into account the actions of opponents.
Choose starting hands depending on position - this is playing by preflop charts.
Play a hand depending on the cards of the flop, turn and river, taking into account the actions of opponents - is only a good play, and this do all players, no?

Last edited:
PINOY

PINOY

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Developing your hand reading by putting opponents to range of hand and how he act will help you a lot to be a good poker player.

tihomir_kula

tihomir_kula

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
I play for more than 10 years, but can`t say that I have enough poker skills.

mushthebush

mushthebush

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
The actual play is the main thing, but it isn't the only skill required to be profitable at poker. As I've said in another thread, risk management, numbers, bankroll, time off, stop loss, take profit, control emotions. As with any trading, business, investment activity, poker is based on numbers at its core and not on emotions. But naturally, we as humans, firstly we risk, hoping for the best, we then accept we're not just luckier than others, then we go through the process of acceptance, then, if we continue asking "Why?" questions we explore various other streams of information from various other sources and then we start thinking "If I knew this when I started...". Of course, the less inquisitive ones of us, plateau at one of these stages and stop pursuing our quest for answers to the progressively more difficult questions that arise and find an excuse for whatever we started chasing, usually "this is clearly not for me, I tried, but it didn't work out". Life is tough but the human brain can be pushed, the rest is only our choice.

franken222

franken222

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To me, poker skills means being able to know what to do with the cards you have, against the people you are playing, with the situation you are in.

If you can master these skills, you should do ok.