Poker books

topcatbrazil

topcatbrazil

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I need something basic, because I got one which is too advanced.

Some months ago I got a poker book about satellites. In it the author mentions a lot of concepts that I have never heard before, such as ICM. What book should I go to to find the basics? I aint got a problem with math so I wouldn’t mind if it is a bit technical.

Thank you,

Igorek1313

Igorek1313

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
War and Peace . I highly recommend it. this work opens your eyes to many moments of life. read will not regret it ...:icon_prof

M

MilesTheGOAT

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
CardsChat has a section which goes through the best books for certain situations for example, cash games, tournaments, etc. You can find the page here: https://www.cardschat.com/poker-books.php

The books in this are selected for each case so you should be able to locate the best materials to learn the style of game you would like to play.

T

Telik

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, I advise everyone who really wants to learn how to play and read, read Chuck Clay’s book, "Mastering the Mathematics of Poker"

T

Telik

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
And also, the book of Alex Fitzgerald "The myth of poker talent." The book will teach you how to use poker programs and get benefits, good luck.

freddsl

freddsl

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
What book do you suggest to start reading about sit and go microlimits?

pentazepam

pentazepam

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
SE
Chips
What book do you suggest to start reading about sit and go microlimits?

Sit'n Go Strategy by Collin Moshman, Secrets of Sit'n'gos (Phil Shaw) and Secrets of Non-Standard Sit'n'Gos by Phil Shaw plus Kill Everyone' by Lee Nelson and Tysen Streibb (about MTTs but have sections with SnG strategy).

They are all old books (about ten years). But cover all the basics. Should be enough for micros.

Collin Moshman is also active on this forum, so if you ask him directly he would probably answer.

V

Veritas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello you think that poker books can help you play better poker. Some say it is a waste of time and practice learns best and it is only necessary to read an article on the Internet. What do you think about that?:)

it really depends. a lot of books are outdated and it feels like Nothing 'new' is coming.
Do you Play cash games or tournaments?

if you are starting with poker or kinda new, there are a lot of books out there from
Harrington, Brunson, Sklansky,....
Those are kinda old books, but the Basics in poker never Chance and some concepts and ideas are still interesting

for tournaments:
Some more modern books are Raise your Edge from Elky or Every Hand revealed from Gus Hansen. They are still more than 10 years old.
If you prefer a more practically orientated book, I can recommend 'Winning Poker Tournaments One Hand at a Time' 1-3. 3 online poker pros talk About real hands they played and their thought process behind every Hand.

My game improved a lot from reading Kill Phil (for Beginners) and Kill Everyone (advanced). I got rid of my nitty playstyle and I figured out that min-cashing is worthless, therefor folding into the Money with a crippled stack is a terrible strategy.

If you are Looking for some up-to-date books, it's hard to find a good one.
Like others mentioned, it's better to get some Infos from sites like upswing poker (the Doug polk Newsletter is free and has some good articles), cardschat, 2+2 Forum or Coaching Videos on Youtube

freddsl

freddsl

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Sit'n Go Strategy by Collin Moshman, Secrets of Sit'n'gos (Phil Shaw) and Secrets of Non-Standard Sit'n'Gos by Phil Shaw plus Kill Everyone' by Lee Nelson and Tysen Streibb (about MTTs but have sections with SnG strategy).

They are all old books (about ten years). But cover all the basics. Should be enough for micros.

Collin Moshman is also active on this forum, so if you ask him directly he would probably answer.

thanks for your attention i'll ask him

frost234

frost234

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I highly recommend Phil Gordon's "Little Green Book"

C

Criplgamer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
First book you should read is Doyle Brunson's super system 1 and 2.
Old books ? Yes!
Still relevant today for the most part? Yes.
I call it the bible of poker as most do. But it is lacking of today's terms, today's more aggressive play and theories older players would never agree with.

Second book you need to read.
Phil Helmuth play poker like the pros. The newest revised edition .

All great info. Not all of it still relevant.

Those are books focused on poker not just hold em.

The best books I've read or listen to recently are as follows.
Phil Gordon's Little Green Book
Decide to play Great Poker- Annie Duke
Secrets of Professional Tournament Poker Volumes 1 and 2 . -Johnathan Little.

Many of these can be found on Audible except super system 1 and 2

If I could recommend which book would have an immediate impact on your game , it would be Decide to play Great Poker by Annie Duke and you need audible to get it.

C

Criplgamer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm reading "Power Hold'em Strategy" by Daniel Negreanu and I find it very interesting and instructive. You can find it on the internet easily, or send me a pm and I'll give it to you
Is it on Audible? If so would you be willing to send it to me?

C

Criplgamer

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also enjoy audiobooks but I have to caution against them for poker books—there’s so much special formatting/table setups in poker that it can be a difficult medium for conveying information, such as in the Harrington on Hold ‘Em series in which almost every section begins with a hand retelling featuring a poker table diagram.

That being said, there are a tremendous number of excellent poker books out there so you’re in luck! [emoji4] I’d recommend reading the articles here on CardsChat and the forums to first decide if you’d like to focus on cash or tournaments and then choosing a first book. For me the first books I read was the bestselling Harrington on Hold ‘Em series I already mentioned—and I learned a great deal from those books alone! He also has a series on cash games which I enjoyed too if you decide to go that route—if I sound biased it’s because I personally happen to prefer tournaments and always have haha.

Best of luck with getting started in poker and congrats on picking a great way to learn about the game! [emoji4]
I have to completely disagree with this for me. Yes , anything by Johnathon Little or Harrington is gonna be tough to follow if you don't already understand range charts ECT.

However, I'm being honest here. If you are reading books that tell you with cards XX you should do Y in Z position on the board then the books are failing you.

Books on poker , the psychology of poker, bankroll management, Annie Dukes new book basically talks about position, using chips as information devices and making good decisions and leaving the tough decisions for the most part to your competition.

Yes. Having someone read a range chart and say do this with these cards at this blind level for this reason is a piss poor way to learn poker . Hold em especially. Almost all poker training videos are like this. Which is just as bad.

Just my view after 16 years and reading and listening to multiple books on the game.

finaltable1

finaltable1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For a very basic beginner and avid book listener (audible) what would you say the best book(s) are to learn from?

"Games people play" by Eric Berne.

It's not about poker, it's about games in our life. Book is written by famous psychologist and he explains very difficult processes with easy to understand language. He represents all processes in the social activity as games, and explains rules of these games. He explains what happens to the body and brain when people bluff, lie, when they're proud or happy... It makes this book great for poker players cause it will help them to read opponents better. Also it's a nice bonus in daily activity, when you know what type of games you're playing with rest of the world.