Poker for beginners, how to avoid mistakes at the table?

T

Tosh_67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes the obvious is playing too many hands... Post flop play will be problematic also perhaps not knowing how to continue or whether to continue after missing, then when connecting how to make maximum value...

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can't avoid making mistakes in poker. It's inevitable. Even pros make mistakes.

Instead, learn how to minimize your mistakes. Learn why you make the mistakes you do and how you can improve yourself. As a new player, don't be afraid to make mistakes, but understand why those are errors. You'll never improve as a player if you only try to "fix" something without understanding why.

D

dturner100

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bottom line: Learn position. I don't think I even heard position mentioned in the above lists.
Also equity. I've read huge discussions on some threads by people who didn't even know what equity is.
Stop the snap calls, raises, folds, etc.

I did like the mention of preflop all ins.
In a lot of cases that's the only way to go. Shove or fold, but some of the BS hands that go down preflop you've got to wonder how much they've been drinking while playing.

But the adding all this together leads to what I see people fail at the most which is the ability to play a deep stack.
You're sitting in 1st place with 2x to 4x the average chip stack. Don't call a bunch of all ins just because you can afford it.
Consider equity.

Okay, I'm tired and rambling.
Have a good night people.

J

jigglypuff99

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think their biggest mistake is usually not learning from smaller mistakes.

J

julianocwb10

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I look abor the flop only with good hands as KA QA JA QQ KK 10A 99 1010 JJ AA and so on , I try to be aggressive only go into play in position and yet I do not consego be gaining a lot of hand !

shamanking666

shamanking666

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think primarily there to have a solid enough game before even playing comensar in cash games, being a beginner it is best to keep your strategy until you gain some experience at the tables, over time you can afford to play a little looser.

MAdesG

MAdesG

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Play always with monsters cards, and try to decipher the cards that your opponent can have and take advantage from the mistakes of the opponent and try to win all hand as you can

F

freestocks

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Impatience is a common beginner mistake.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Be carefull with betting. Bet with the right amount to the right hand and players.

H

hffjd2000

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mostly beginners are too loose and too passive.

They are concentrated on their cards and less on others.

They usually chase their draws no matter what.

6a6yJIbkO_o

6a6yJIbkO_o

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it is a common mistake because many novice don't want to start learn some poker strategies and understand the essence of the game. They want everything at once. Also novice not have the patience

Vladimir Smugly

Vladimir Smugly

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My biggest mistake as a novice player to move all in with not the best hand. It is because I want to get everything at once. I hope it's because I play only freerolls. When I start playing for money, I will change my attitude to this point. Yesterday, my first lost $ 1.50 for this reason. I'm sad. But it is an invaluable experience.

S

stuzie5276

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Shoving all in for coin flips to often.

Mark rolfe

Mark rolfe

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Bottom line: Learn position. I don't think I even heard position mentioned in the above lists.
Also equity. I've read huge discussions on some threads by people who didn't even know what equity is.
Stop the snap calls, raises, folds, etc.

I did like the mention of preflop all ins.
In a lot of cases that's the only way to go. Shove or fold, but some of the BS hands that go down preflop you've got to wonder how much they've been drinking while playing.

But the adding all this together leads to what I see people fail at the most which is the ability to play a deep stack.
You're sitting in 1st place with 2x to 4x the average chip stack. Don't call a bunch of all ins just because you can afford it.
Consider equity.

Okay, I'm tired and rambling.
Have a good night people.

Good advice mate 👍🏻

S

suricato35

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd say one of the major mistakes are believing too much in miracle cards...
paying all the bets passively to see the river to complete their flush or straight draws, ending up loosing many or even all their chips lol :D

D

dejan85

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
should not play to many hands,watch on position and raised when is need,that is my advice......

F

felpsz

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips

Mistakes that normally are made by new players is playing without watching opponent's moves, you need to know what kind of player (agressive, conservative, etc) you are playing against, it'll make easier to win a hand or erase someone from the table

B

BullWink

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For beginners, it is lack of patience. You need to wait and only play where you have a good advantage.