Pocket Pair

Lady T.

Lady T.

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
i got 55 and just limp in to c the flop. it came K5K checked it then there was a little bet and i just called then a 7 on the turn i checked and there was a all in call he had 77, do u think i should of push on the flop in stead of on the giving a free card? did i play it right and was i just realy unlucky or wot ?? i guss it would depend if he would of folded his 77 or call my all in postflop??? i just need to know if iam playing my cards wrong coz it keeps happing to me one or two outs and they hit it its so painful lol

I feel your pain I have had a lot of similar circumstances. I really don't know what is right or wrong as I am learning too.

I do know I have started really pausing when I see a pretty hand and someone pushes. I used to knee jerk call and now I have saved my ass a lot by folding.

I personally would have shoved after the flop. They might have folded thinking you had a king. If they called anyway, well your still cooked but as they say "That's Poker" and you would have had the satisfaction of making them make the decision to call.
Best of Luck to you :)

Thank you all for the great advice on Pocket Pair I truly have learned a lot and my game is better for it.;)

C

checkoutcardschat

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is for early tourney situations:
I feel that any pocket pair from 6 down falls in the same category. In freerolls and really cheap tourneys I play them hard preflop because i'm willing to take the coin flip to build up a stack for (hopefully) a long run. But in regular tourneys a call (hoping to hit trips) is the only way i play them. i know Daniel advocates raising to double the blinds but I've found that this strategy actually brings more people in the pot giving them to odds to keep calling with any draw or overcards (while you have basically two outs).
Then what to do if you hit your trips in a scary board (4 suited cards or 4 to a flush). Do you bet it for value?
Most likely its best to minimize your losses- Sometimes there's just no point in betting since you are never going to get called by a hand you have beat.

whitewolf

whitewolf

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I like to limp or small raise it's worth it if you hit trips. My favorite hand is pocket sevens. Seem to hit trips alot with them.Good luck on and off the felts.