Pocket fours UTG

IntenseHeat

IntenseHeat

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Of course, as has already been stated, my actions are going to be dependent on how the table is playing as well as my table image. I often say that I always like to raise or that I never limp in. This might be an exception to the rule. I wouldn't want to invest too much into pocket 4s, as I am likely to be looking at a board full of over cards after the flop. I would like to limp in and see a cheap flop and go set mining. However we have to weigh the chances of action going around the board with no one raising. If we're just going to fold to any raise, then this should probably be an easy fold without wasting a BB.

Consider this, though. It is universally accepted that the earlier your position, the stronger the starting hand you need to play. So why not take advantage of that? If we put a raise in from UTG, we are likely to be given credit for a stronger holding than we actually possess. If you have a tight table image, you might be able to take down the blinds here with an under the gun raise, or be able to see a flop heads up, where a continuation bet could win the hand for you if your opponent misses the flop (remember, you're going to have position after the flop). In fact, I've played small pairs in similar fashion and had hands like pocket 4s hold up to the river against a single opponent.

I don't know. The bottom line is that my goal is to take down pots, stack chips, and win. So after all the thinking and reasoning, I end up right back where I started, where I pretty much always stand on playing a hand, either raise or fold. If I'm going to play it, then I'm going to play to win with it. But I don't think it's an auto fold.

olliejjc16

olliejjc16

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
this depends on the blinds too, did you post them or did i miss them somewhere? if blinds are really small it may be worth a limp or raise, otherwise its a pretty easy fold

L

luciano allyson

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
big put presão, short stack goes all in with 10 bb

S

stefffan1

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
If I have a big stack I play pocket fours really aggresive , so I fold hands like A 4 , J 7 , Q 8 and remain with only 1 - 2 villains. If I have a low - very low stack I shove all in to steal the blinds or to have a bit of luck and win the hand against an opponent.

Airburn

Airburn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Limp to see a cheap flop, if someone raises small I call -
if someone raises big I fold simple and effective imo.

skrsh76

skrsh76

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would limp in and fold with very big raise. Min raise and if I can close the action I will even call. May be this is a reason for my loses in various tournaments :(

BigCountryAA

BigCountryAA

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's hard to answer with incomplete information. Stack sizes and player types to follow in the hand..etc.

B

baudib1

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
44 is a standard fold.

Never ceases to amaze me how many people overplay pocket pairs. It's funny how 2/3 of the people in this thread will say, "OMG must play pocket pair, raise!" but if you say you have JTs UTG it'll be unanimous "fold."

T

tiantianchen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would open.

Fold when stack size is small

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I personally would not play 44 UTG or SB, I would only play them on the BB if not raised to me. I would just check to see a cheap flop and check/fold if I miss the flop :)

Airburn

Airburn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
44 is a standard fold.

Never ceases to amaze me how many people overplay pocket pairs. It's funny how 2/3 of the people in this thread will say, "OMG must play pocket pair, raise!" but if you say you have JTs UTG it'll be unanimous "fold."

why fold when you can limp and take a huge pot for a low price? so the 4 dosent hit and some1 raises you fold , pretty simple cant understand why would want to fold that hand you can only gain from this - unless your short stacked then I can understand the fold

O

orbyorbit

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
4 4 UTG fold and save the embarrassment, unless u are certain that u have absolutely established a strong TAG image in which case u could try a 3 or 4 times BB as a bluff. If called plan to fold. A second or third try is just wasting chips