Pocket 10s ???

P

PeteBoy

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
AT
Chips
I got a question, i played a cash game and had pocket tens as a big blind. Everybody folds and only the cutoff bets 2,5 bb, I 3bet him 7,5 bb and he raised again up to 21 bb. It was a tight player so i foldet my pocket tens. Was that a right decision, what would you have done in my situation?

Greetings PeteBoy

veltins

veltins

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
JP
Chips
Thats 4 bet to 21 bigs means he s way ahead of TT, what could be his cards . most probably QQ + , AK + to 4 bet in that spot. So yes that s the right play to fold in this spot

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I maybe reading this wrong but his 4 bet was only 13.5BB more than your raise. Depending on how deep you both were you could have called there. Again you have to be deep enough to do this. Overall I think you made the correcct more. Chances are you did not have enough chips to make it worth set mining here.

Kinalha

Kinalha

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I got a question, i played a cash game and had pocket tens as a big blind. Everybody folds and only the cutoff bets 2,5 bb, I 3bet him 7,5 bb and he raised again up to 21 bb. It was a tight player so i foldet my pocket tens. Was that a right decision, what would you have done in my situation?

Greetings PeteBoy
How deep u are? what limit?

M

manIk5

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Pete ,

I'm here to give you my advice , hope you can use knowledge i have in future and earn most out of spots like this ;) (or lose min)

Why did you 3bet ? Your opponent is tight , you know that which means you have some history with him , so he's range is not j4off or something similar :LOL:
Why didnt you just called , hit 10 , trap him and took it all ? Seems like a most profitable play on long run vs tight players to me !

I'm not saying 3beting with tens OOP is bad play , i'm just curious why ...

If you had jacks , would you do the same ? How about queens or nines ? WE all know what you would do with king kong and rockets , but nines , tens and jacks can be dangerous to play post flop ... Lets say flop comes 345 , or 942 or something along those lines where you have overpair ... Are you prepared to go all in if game/opponent dictates it ?

I'm curious what was the plan here , 3bet ,he/she calls and then what ? Ideally they would fold to 3bet ... if not you'll probably miss flop (1/7), flop comes with one or 2 overcards , are you prepared for 50-60% pot continuation bet ? What after ? And so on ...

You know he could easily 4bet you with suited connectors , suited aces , lower pairs and so on depending on what he thinks you have and what he thinks what kind of player are you ... so why 3bet in first place Pete ?

👍

eberetta1

eberetta1

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Good fold. I would not have raised to his bet. I would have called so you could at least see the flop for cheap, but that's me.

dallam

dallam

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How deep u are? what limit?
Exactly, these questions needs to be interpreted when you posting. And how much players at the table? We need to know the most details to have a picture of these hands the best.

Tight players are affording big credit to selecting their hands to play. In my opinion a call is fine here, as low parties favouring us, and probably high cards will hit the tight players range except he/she is coming with pockets from 77+. The fact that you choosed the 3bet OOP made your hand looking very strong, and this 4-bet only shows for me QQ, KK, AA, AK hands, nothing less. So definitely a fold here.

I would aslo love to see just a call here from the villain, opp maybe miss big value on cutting the range down that much here, but as Kinalha said, we would be more helpful here if you can tell us how were your stack sizes and the other details.

Z

zipocool

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Greetings PeteBoy
on a 4-bet you only have 2 options all in or fold, there is no point in calling there so postflop 1010 will look pretty weak + you will play out of position (sometimes rarely you will see the nuts on the flop after calling but it will be once in ten approx.), of course, folding here looks much better since there will be a lot of premium hands in his 4-betting range

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
There are many ways to play tens, ruled by your stack power. With many opponents claiming the pot, is a weak hand since you haven't the set.
The basic way to play a good pair is to raise small, if we are the first to enter the pot, reducing opponent number and play accordingly to flop and the streets, even to the river. But all above is the table under NTP conditions, for there are many other ways to play xx.

jonaselloco

jonaselloco

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
I quite agree with my colleagues that there is a bit of information missing, but trying to understand you I will tell you what I would have done.
I tell you what I would have done.
If villain is the 1st opener in CO and he's raising you 2.5 BBs and he's showing you that his tango is middling high, you could estimate that he might have AJs+.
When you 3bet raise with your 1010, and when he sees that situation and 3bet on your raise, the range is already increasing to minimally QQ KK AK or AA, more knowing that he is a tight villain as you say.
With your 1010 I would have just called and waited to see that he hits me on the flop, and then decide according to the bets he made.
He is my humble opinion friend. Greetings Carlos;););)(y)(y)(y)

Baldy86

Baldy86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think you made the right fold . especially if he was a tight player . even if he didnt have JJ+ and would have "only" AK then you would be only slight favorite and you would also not know where you are on the flop

but me personally i would have only called instead of reraising out of position . i would have tried to hit my set or look how he will act on the flop etc

but i play pretty unorthodox though

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I would definitely throw 10 because the enemy has an older hand unless of course you want to believe in luck:):)