PLO tips for experienced holdem player?

D0nk3y Hunt3r

D0nk3y Hunt3r

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm new to PLO, can anyone share any general tips, especially comparing it to nlh?

T

theStarfish

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
PLO is a great game but you need to be aware of some things. I guess you know that you always have to use two of your 4 hole cards. This leads to many card combinations. So often someone will have a big draw with many outs to straights and/or a flush. This means that often there will be a situation where all the money goes in on the flop in a 50/50 situation, e.g. between top set and a huge draw. So the swings are higher in PLO.
In the beginning try to play hands where all 4 cards fit together, e.g. 789T or a big pair with a suited ace, broadway cards or two big pairs . The average strength of a hand is higher than in Holdem. So often top pair or middle set is beaten. Even 2nd nuts or even a nut flush on a paired board can be the losing hand. So be prepared to fold these hands, something which you almost never do in Holdem. But on the other hand, if you have the ace of clubs for example and there is a possible club flush out there, you can try to bluff, because no one can have the nut flush with you having the ace of clubs. But I would say the most important thing is, that you are aware of your hand and what draws you have and what possibilities are out there.

Last edited:
dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
PLO games can be very profitable: Many players come to Omaha from Texas Hold'em without any knowledge of the game's strategy and make a lot of mistakes. Learning to identify these players and take advantage of them is a sure way to a good profit. Even experienced players make the mistake of folding a hand when they should have continued, relying on the money already in the pot. Mastering a new format will help you become a more versatile player. The main thing in poker is to adapt to your opponents and take advantage when they make mistakes. Learning new strategies, finding opponents' mistakes and the lines that most profitably exploit your advantage will help you reach a new level of poker thinking.The flop is very important in PLO (you can see how many chances you have of completing draw hands) and most players are constantly calling or limping preflop. You may notice that some players often limp and only raise when their starting hand looks like this: A-A-x-x.

D0nk3y Hunt3r

D0nk3y Hunt3r

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Tips were appreciated, I'm just playing my first so deep PLO tournament (1287 entrants) and I'm 78th out of 146 left :cool:.

Chica_bonita

Chica_bonita

Sad Funny Lady🌬
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Play Chinese pineapple.😅

Kinalha

Kinalha

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I'm new to PLO, can anyone share any general tips, especially comparing it to nlh?
Compared to holdem, omaha is a postflop game, so select your hands before putting money in the pot. I suggest you search Jnandez videos on youtube, he teaches well for beginners. But personally I tell you, I learned a lot more playing than studying, because you will realize that in omaha, there are many more bad players in higher limits, than in holdem, that is, whatever limit you are going to play, you will find a lot more beginners than regulars. Among friends we have an eternal phrase: ''In omaha, 2 ends and a flush draw kill more than covid''. Which is to say, you'll have to mix up playing styles a lot in situations where you'll find yourself with an all-in decision on the flop.

Poker Tips Live Dealer Holdem - Texas Holdem Poker Rules