Playing the Turn and the River (Day 17 Course Discussion)

B

birdman666

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Let me add, P1, that I wouldn't worry too much about getting things exactly right. Different players would have different recommendations I'm sure, and you really just want to think about what you're accomplishing and the best way to do it.

If your goal is to beat the highest stakes, that might require work on GTO play and using solvers.

What do you mean? Can't you beat the high stakes without using solvers ingame?

imnoobpoker

imnoobpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thank you for day 17, what a ride until now.
Planning after the flop is so important. When I'm not concentrated at the tables, I completely miss this step. It is so important to think, what is next. Combining this with aggressive betting, should make my play more profitable. Will try to combine this in my next games.

R

Rabberto71

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
The turn & river are my biggest problem
I do seem to commit to my hand on the flop
Maybe it’s because it’s so rare that I actually hit something that I find it hard to put down no matter what:mad:

Collin Moshman

Collin Moshman

Poker Expert
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think he meant that to beat high stakes you need to play more GTO style, and to do that to need to work on your game with solvers.

Exactly yes, thanks P1, I think that if your goal is to beat the toughest games nowadays you have to devote a lot of time to GTO/solver study.

xOneCoolHandx

xOneCoolHandx

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Quiz

Gotta bet that draw and hope to either pick up that pot now or possibly improve.

barbados

barbados

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
I think I'll save this lesson to my computer! One slip and you can lose everything. It is very important to correctly assess the possible risk with a possible win. We'll have to review it again. Thanks!

mariussica88

mariussica88

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Finished day 17...13 to go

I loose most of my stack on turn and river so this lesson is a good one to save, so I can re-watch it went I am going into a pot without a plan :eek:

Oranaro

Oranaro

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Playing well the preflop gives you better opportunities, plying well the post flop concretizes these opportunities. Thank you for the lesson. There is another aspect, is to have always a reason on what you are doing, why you check, why you bet, why you raise? If you don't know why, you may be wrong.

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Week 3: Day 17:Turns and Rivers: Three Keys to Playing the Late Streets

Tidbits:
Have a plan in advance before you get to the latter streets.

If you have the betting lead, continue firing the turn.

River Plays:
"Switch into bluff catching mode if there are many possible busted draws." So call if you have showdown value.

"If you have the best hands, strongly consider betting for value." Collin tells you to bet to extract the most money and he's telling you to not be satisfied with taking the pot down on the river passively.

bluffing the River
The second point of "If your opponent is capable of folding" is uber important. I see folks bluffing into calling stations and it makes ZERO sense.

Preplanning commentary with the JJ hand was helpful, so was the K4 example, show down example with JT was nice, bluff catch example with AK was good. So what's really great about this video series is the commentary. I want to see what good players are thinking as they make these plays ie thier thought process and get to understand what they're doing so I can improve my game and that's what Collin has been doing throughout the course.

I didn't like the review question, I don't play that the way and I wouldn't want to play opponents that are calling raises from early position with trash like in the review example. So whatever, good lessen, good concepts that got me thinking about hands.

So this is another good lesson. And I would like to work on playing these last streets.

Ebook tidbits:

Three important guidelines for playing the turn and river:

The Turn Betting Rule: When in doubt, if you've bet the flop, then bet the turn.

This is where a lot of folks that can't put folks on hands will start to build a pot way to big and the original raiser wont be able to get away from the pot if put to a decision. So might be something to watch out for and do it in a controlled manner.

River Bluff-Catching Rule: If there are many busted draws at the river, check and call to catch bluffs.

This depends on their opponents style and you putting them on a hand. If you blindly do this then this can develop into a hole in your game by trying to make "Hero" calls.

River Value Betting Rule: Go after river value aggressively.
This is fine.

Again, another good lesson. This is something that takes time developing, planning and experience to get an idea what your opponent has and if you do it blindly and too often will get you into situations you would rather not be in but you'll get experience from the mistakes I suppose.

C

Chase

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This lesson seems to be a continuation of previous lesson with an emphasis on betting later streets when you have the best hand, and betting when you don't if you think you can get the other guy to fold the best hand.

I like the concept!

My very limited experience tells me though that not too many folks are going to fold the best hand or even second or third best. This is where this concept of value betting the river really pays off. When you do get the best hand work it for all it's worth.

When in doubt - bet!

Atararo14

Atararo14

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Finished day 17

In this spot, I see that the best decision is to be aggressive, that is to say raise all in in semi bluff because we have fold equity + the possibility of hitting flush and even K or Q if our opponent hasn't A.

We can also check-raise, this remains a correct option, it will be for the same reasons indicated above.

Otherwise, we can check and hope our opponent to check to freeroll the river and raise in value if we hit flush.

Eduard0Felipe

Eduard0Felipe

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
The turn and river together are half of the betting rounds you play. It is therefore vital to know the guidelines for playing both.
What a class in, actually planning your plays makes all the difference, following the guidelines below will also help.

Three important guidelines for playing the turn and river:

The turn betting rule: when in doubt, if you've bet the flop, then bet the turn.

This is where a lot of folks that can't put folks on hands will start to build a pot way to big and the original raiser wont be able to get away from the pot if put to a decision. So might be something to watch out for and do it in a controlled manner.

River bluff-catching rule: If there are many busted draws at the river, check and call to catch bluffs.

This depends on their opponents style and you putting them on a hand. If you blindly do this then this can develop into a hole in your game by trying to make "Hero" calls.

River value betting rule: go after river value aggressively.
This is fine.

Gutshot Gus

Gutshot Gus

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I suppose it gets down to winners bet and raise and losers check and fold. Keep up with the style of play and ranges of your opponent .

Gh0stL

Gh0stL

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
PE
Chips
Day 17 finished.
Quiz:
We should bet, because the villain only is limping and he have good odd to do continue betting.

TY.

Anamembu

Anamembu

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
Day 17 completed, the distinction between made hands and draws is fundamental in poker; it can significantly improve our game. Furthermore, understanding how to play correctly on the turn and the river is essential, as they often determine who takes the pot. Knowing the appropriate strategies for these phases of the game can make the difference between winning and losing in poker. Thank you for the lesson!

okeedokalee

okeedokalee

Glory To Ukraine
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
A rule of thumb. Villain continues with a bet on the turn they probably have big hand, if they continue with a bet on the river you are facing a near nuts hand, fold.