Playing Position

B

BaneJahMeen

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Actually, that has nothing to do with position, position has to do with where you're seated at the table according to the dealer button :)

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Position is simply the single most important and valuable commodity to have at the poker table. If you're unfamiliar with the term, position simply means you are the last to act in the hand (meaning you have the dealer button, or the players acting after you have folded)

The above has been a c/p

B

BaneJahMeen

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not unfamiliar at all, lol, see my original post 😉

recerveau

recerveau

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm a BIG believer in playing position to where my same friend I posted abt the betting doesn't even take position into consideration, how important of a part do u all believe position plays at the table?!?

If you know how to dominate and play well, you win 80% of your hand without showdowns.
The best players in the world and the most profitable players always use the position. :)

B

BaneJahMeen

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Amen to that! 👊 The less I have to show down to pickup pots, the better!!

W

Weee3eee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In the beginning of learning poker, I really had a hard time playing in position and now it's the opposite. If you look at winning players games, they will have an edge in position than without. It's a challenge for beginning learning players to really feel the impact of what it means to be in position.

I will give a couple of scenarios where it's really solid for in position verses out of position play.

1. Think of decisions to be made on the flop, turn, and river. You have control of the entire game whether you will "take" the hand to the river or "not". So for example, say you have 8c7c on the Button (the best spot in poker) and UTG has KK. The flop is Tc 4s 3h. This flop is sooo ripe for the KK, right but guess what, it isn't too bad of a flop. Got a back door straight, backdoor flush. You know that the UTG range are monsters, right? Well perfect. UTG bets that flop and you make a decision to call or raise or fold. IS the decision hard to call on this board? The board hits a wide range of hands, you can represent just about any set, any sort of straight, or two pair. You can represent AT, KT, QT TT, T9 all sorts of things that really a QQ+ and AQ+ to really be a little flighty to any sort of a 3bet or raise at that flop. You control this flop and not the First opener.

2. You have the option to pot control. You can flat and control the pot as you go along.

3. You have the last betting opportunity. You have the last decision on the river!!!! This is SO important. You gain way more information throughout the hand and you can put in the last value bet or that bluff to have the Out of position to possibly throw the best hand in the muck.

smallfrie

smallfrie

Lucky Ducky
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Position becomes extremely important the higher you play with skillful players.

When you are playing at low stakes you can get away with more, you can play a wider range of hands pre out of position because the players in position can be outplayed post in part because they don't know how to play in position anyway, also players who have position on you are less likely to try to exploit you pre-flop with air. When you are playing higher with skilled players position becomes way more important in every hand you enter. Playing out of position vs good players will cost you.

Last edited:
B

BaneJahMeen

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Good post!! Thx for the insight!!

M

mashushik

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When you are playing at low stakes you can get away with more, you can play a wider range of hands pre out of position because the players in position can be outplayed post in part because they don't know how to play in position anyway, also players who have position on you are less likely to try to exploit you pre-flop with air. When you are playing higher with skilled players position becomes way more important in every hand you enter. Playing out of position vs good players will cost you.

Totally agree.