Playing multiple stakes when lack of players

S

sitingman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I play heads up no limit, but it can be hard to find games at times. I can be siting on a table at 2nl waiting for an opponent for ages when there is a player also waiting at a 5nl table. This has led me to basically play at 2nl 5nl and 10nl, just whatever game has a person ready to play.

Is this a bad way to build a bankroll? I'll win a few games at 2nl and then lose 1 game at 10nl and I'm straight back to where I started. I'm bankrolled for all three games but it's more about the mentality of getting knocked back. I wonder if I should just play one stake regardless of who is siting at the other tables?

puzzlefish

puzzlefish

student of the donk arts
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I'm told that the key of being profitable in poker is to pick games that you are profitable in. If you are a winning player in 2NL but a losing player at 10NL, then stick with 2NL. If you are rolled for 10NL and think you can beat it but just need more volume, then play 10NL. However, from the sounds of it, you are not a winning player at 10NL.

whiskers77

whiskers77

The art of purring
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
The same problems also occur with the SNGs, that you need to level down somehow from time to time if you want to play in some poker rooms.
I just would recommend you to play in different rooms to get the volume, that you want to play.
And maybe yes, you need to level down to have opponents, but it should be rare if you play in different rooms.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
play where you win it's better to make a profit whatever it was than you will lose all the time and break your psyche after victories bring a large amount at this level, you can slowly move to another level then you will not lose money but lose some part of that you have already earned

C

crazycitizen

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I understand what you mean sitingman, you could win a lot of matches in 2NL, just to get it wiped out instantly in 10NL. But sitting and waiting is also a bit pointless. If you can win at all 3 stakes then the answer is obvious, but if you are only winning at NL2 and NL5 for example;
Things I would consider when there are no games to play:
1. Studying
2. Reviewing hands
3. Joining additional poker sites to reach a larger pool of players

Hope that helps :)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Maybe consider changing to another format, where there is more action? Heads-up is not the best way to build up a bankroll anyway.

S

sitingman

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the replies.

Puzzlefish: Yea I seem to be winning at 2nl and 5nl but 10nl is more questionable. I beat some players but then I have a bad session and lose ground. I can't be terrible though because some
10nl/25nl players refuse to play me!

Whiskers77 and crazycitizen: I used to have the same problem when I played SNGs but other poker sites also had them running, heads up cash games are quite rare to find on uk sites. I do study and look at hands whilst waiting for games now which is improving my game.

Fundiver199: I know! I took 6max seriously for a while and built my bankroll a bit but I find myself constantly going back to heads up for the action. Even though it punished me for a bit!

Ps If anyone knows any sites in the uk that run heads up cash games, please let me know!