Playing AKs and AK

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I personally think AK is overrated. They should be played aggressively hoping to see a flop with the least amount of opponents as possible. At the same time, you have to remember all you have is nut high card top kicker. A pair of deuces beats you, so if you miss the flop you have tread carefully.
While it's true that 22 has a the lead over AK if AK misses the flop, you have to consider the the fact that there aren't a lot of flops where 22 will be comfortable continuing with. 22 is only flopping a set ~12% of the time, so 88% of the time, they're missing and facing over cards. This makes it difficult for a hand like 22 to continue with a c-bet on most flops with only a ~5% chance to hit a 2 on the turn. You could c-bet, but ~95% of the time an over card is hitting the turn, making it more difficult for 22 to continue with it's aggression.

AK doesn't have the same problem c-betting on missed flops as it still has ~13% chance to hit the turn with an A or K. It also has more fold equity on most flops that 22 doesn't as it can continue to be aggressive on dry, uncoordinated boards.

Basically, most flops will miss 22 and makes it difficult for 22 to continue with any type of post flop aggression. AK is missing the flop about 66% of the time, but can c-bet most dry boards and will take it down more often than 22 will with sheer aggression and fold equity.

Last edited:
A

AshTheGreat

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
AK suited is a good post flop hand to flat a raise with. AK I'd reraise to isolate or just fold preflop if there are too many players calling a raise. To me, AKo play preflop heavily depends on what betting position I'll be in post flop.

P

ph_il

Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
AK suited is a good post flop hand to flat a raise with. AK I'd reraise to isolate or just fold preflop if there are too many players calling a raise. To me, AKo play preflop heavily depends on what betting position I'll be in post flop.
Instead of folding, AK is the perfect hand to 3bet large to isolate and pick up a ton of dead money.

A

AshTheGreat

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Instead of folding, AK is the perfect hand to 3bet large to isolate and pick up a ton of dead money.

People these days really don't fold as often as they should. In a cash game, I agree.
In a tournament, if I'm at a table full of loose players and like 4 of them called a raise, I tend to suck it up and pick a better value spot.

M

mikeisanace

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ak is a monster if played right

There is a nice little statistical edge from ak to ak suited mostly in limit games and not so much NL> Pre flop in Nl it's sometimes ok to limp in from utg with ak off because it's trappy and you get in cheap and can check/ fold to suit differentials that you don't have on boards like k-4-6 suited in clubs and you ain't got no clubs. It's deceptive when you limp in with it as know body puts you on it and can connect huge with Broadways Draws or top pair on dry boards for an easy win. In Limit ak suited is KING! You can whiff the board and just pick up one of your suits allowing you to check raise isolate 2 players and improve to a nut flush draw or top pair and win with many out to the river. Ak off isn't great in limit because of straight chasers and weak flush chasers so it misses a ton.

I will say AK off in Nl is a raising hand from position because holdem is hard to make pairs and even if you miss everyone else probably did to so you an bet the pot and win outright.

Last edited:
M

Mircea Craciun

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only real value this hand preflop shoving is in turbo's. You get called quite often with KQ/AQ type hands that you have dominated.

Nikolay23

Nikolay23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its almost never folding hand, its lose only to AA and KK

B

Broon1234

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm playing them the same preflop. On the flop you may pick up a better draw or back door