Players' profile, how deep is it legitimate?

Oranaro

Oranaro

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I'm here with a little question, or at least asking for your opinion.
One of the firsts things we learn are about loose players and tight players, but also agressive ones and passive ones.
I think it's a very indicative caracteristic for fish players, as they won't adapt and play the way they know how to. But what about more experienced players, that can vary their playing style. I've seeb even in micro stacks players that play one way, and then really differently some time later, and making notes on them end up punishing, and misleading, just because they decide to play more passive against over agressive fishes. It's mainly with cash games, for the mtt, I've seen profiles that just play mecanicly and it's really easy to read, and even getting a hand read.
What's your opinion on the types of players, is it legit, how do you adapt, and there is other types you encounter? (the passive trappers, the air bluffers, etc...)

Fahrenheit451

Fahrenheit451

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think that every player should mix their play. If not, he would be as predictable as calendar.
Most predictable players are Loose Passive (LP) and Nits. It's easy to play against them. If you think you have a better hand than LP, just keep value betting and he will pay you. If LP or Nit raises - you fold.
Loose aggressive is most unpredictable, they can raise with complete trash, but sometimes they have nuts.
So even Nits and LP try to go out of their images sometimes to be less predictable. For example Nit can bluff sometimes, cause everyone knows that he bets with nuts.

My biggest problem is with maniacs cause I cannot tell if they raise with nuts or with trash.

perrywh

perrywh

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Some play according to what the table dictates!

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hello, I'm here with a little question, or at least asking for your opinion.
One of the firsts things we learn are about loose players and tight players, but also agressive ones and passive ones.
I think it's a very indicative caracteristic for fish players, as they won't adapt and play the way they know how to. But what about more experienced players, that can vary their playing style. I've seeb even in micro stacks players that play one way, and then really differently some time later, and making notes on them end up punishing, and misleading, just because they decide to play more passive against over agressive fishes. It's mainly with cash games, for the mtt, I've seen profiles that just play mecanicly and it's really easy to read, and even getting a hand read.
What's your opinion on the types of players, is it legit, how do you adapt, and there is other types you encounter? (the passive trappers, the air bluffers, etc...)

Thank you for posting

Some players are so straight forward so level 1 notes are fine but as you have seen we need to take our notes to level 2 or deeper before we can rely on the info.

Level 1 player did X action
Level 2 Why?
Level 3 V repeated 1-2 note actions in similar spots.

In your example a player played passively vs an agg Why? If you see the showdown the hands may indicate the why.
The note we want to take reuires us to ask how would a good player play that hand vs an agg? How did this V play it? Why?
Agg players over bluff was this player bluff catching or were they being weak?
On the river did the player call when a raise was the more correct play?
Are they solid enough to know to bluff catch but not good enough to raise for value on the river when the nuts changed?
Did they call river when the river card indicated that the best play is to turn their hand into a bluff now?

Even weak players will play hands differently due to tilt or fatigue or because they see the other player a certain way. We need to note that as well.

Taking notes is always a fluid act we want to be adjusting our notes often and we seldom want to act on a note until we have seen strong evidence that the note is correct.

Hope this helps
:):)

Last edited: