Sakal1990

Sakal1990

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys,

What are your experience with hand KQ in early positions? I obviously open about 2,5 - 3 BB but always crash because some fish call with something like 4 6, 7 4 or similar hand offsuit.

B

bzvz222

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is a very strong hand and I would suggest higher preflop raise ofc in order to eliminate those 4, 5 and 7s. Also, it is easy for you to fold if you encounter a re-reaise.

FanatsLV

FanatsLV

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It is a very strong hand and I would suggest higher preflop raise ofc in order to eliminate those 4, 5 and 7s. Also, it is easy for you to fold if you encounter a re-reaise.
KQ in early position is not strong hand at all and that hand should be fold straight away :D you are betten with every AQ AK Ax and any pair in preflop :D incase you not hit the strong flop you are betten in now of cases. It's just a case where you gonna loose more than win in long run

FanatsLV

FanatsLV

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi guys,

What are your experience with hand KQ in early positions? I obviously open about 2,5 - 3 BB but always crash because some fish call with something like 4 6, 7 4 or similar hand offsuit.
Like I mentioned on other replay it's not strong hand what to play in early position and better is fold it because in long run you gonna loose more than win because you are betten with lot of hands like AK AQ AX and any pair in preflop in case you not hit a flop you are betten.
Better is fold it in early position :)

ROman77

ROman77

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on the position,structure and type of game ..again, the opponents play ..it is difficult to say how to play with such a hand at the beginning of the tournament ,whole books are written so that a few words will not be enough ...for example, I will drop the flop, if there is such an opportunity and not a threat to my stack ,big mistake to put much in the early stages of the tournament on a map ..as a matter of fact ,in an online tournament is quite another,you can cut down your head and attack with ACE high, so the majority plays ..it doesn't matter what the position is ,what the stack is,what the math is..

L

lewis99

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
gday all....raise about 3x big blind with kq..then it maybe easy to fold if reraise comes...an agressive player, watch for their move,could call to see flop......thanks darrell

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi guys,

Its bad In my opinion
#1You have too many random hands dealt out still left to act
#2 you are out of position on every street against almost all villians
#3 you are out of position
#4 its all about position
#5 you bet sizing isnt intimidating 10 8 in the big blind would call your 1.5 bb raise when they already comitted 1 plus antes and being 30-40 BB deep. its a gauranteed call using implied odds.
using 3x-4x bb preflop bet in that position with those cards
We make 10 8 fold. We represent an actual hand from EP only premium hands/miners will remain.
In that situation you have represented strength properly preflop and can check or bet or check raise the flop .Depending on your understanding of the player and reads.
But you are still out of position, you are not driving this boat he is.
Say flop play for example

**when you don't hit***
You check to him , in position he raises 1/2 we fold = -3 BB
You cbet out for half pot he calls we shutdown on the turn = -8bbs~
You cbet out for half pot and we get the fold = +4~ bbs

You cbet with KQ high
A. we get the fold and won =+ 8-10 bbs
B. he calls/floats and most likely we will have to shutdown on the turn = -8~ BBs
C.he reraises you and you fold = -8~ BBs

**when you do hit**
You check to him , in position he cbets 1/2 , you reraise he folds= +8~bbs
You cbet out for half pot and we get the fold =+4~ BBs

You cbet out for half pot,
he folds/floats/draws, +4bbs profit if folds
villian has 16%-20%+ to improve to the best on the turn,
+semi bluff tendancys an added 7%
to bluff on scary texture when pot commited 10%
~opponent shows aggression on the turn 37% of the time beats you 16-20+% but only after you make a turn bet and a river bet to get jammed on.
So ~70%~ of the time we win 8-12bbs and ~~30%~~ of the time we lose 40bbs
EV +84bbs/-120bbs

Read someones post today about how his ep is negative -9bb on his pokertracker software stats. its just bad to be out of position not a little bad, ALOTTA BAD.

ghOst

ghOst

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would but extrememly tight. I wouldnt try to 3bet anything. If it does get checked down to river, will throw some fire on that baby

Cherepashkakry

Cherepashkakry

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hand good but not for early positions. Often be dominated. And how to play 3 bets.

TheRealPage

TheRealPage

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I decided not to play KQ suited yesterday at +1... I missed a nut flush on the flop, the As was on the board...

I checked KQ not suited when BB a bit later... nothing on the flop, I folded but I saw the turn and river and nothing there as well..

I folded another time when +1 near bubble... same results as previous...

I've read 10 years ago to play them like A-10 J or Q... call or min raise and if you get called or raised, watch out! Also to don't shove the entire stack preflop, except if it's critical and you need to double up to come back in the game.

I also consider the way the players at my left are playing and their stack..If I know I can make fold them easily with a small raise or the next after me is a small stack that can maybe shove and I can call without losing a lot or not give a big stack if I lose, I can give it a try.

I fold them 7/10 when playing online, whatever my position is and I don't miss a lots of pots after reviewing the hands.

-TRP-

KidPoker116

KidPoker116

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Where did you dear friend see that the KQ card is a strong hand? A KQ card is best suited to entering the bank in the blinds to catch a straight. So this is a trash hand. Having caught on the flop K, AK, AA, KK beat you, catching the lady as you beat a lot of hands.:cool:

MagicDick

MagicDick

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If it's early on and you can afford to play your stack I would POT and then look to catch something dirty. Like the guts of an inside straight. You probably get the stack of a big A.

Later tournament I wouldn't play it for much more than 3X BB because anyone who calls you or raises is going to have you either destroyed or racing.

bakreni

bakreni

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
just fold in early positions...i some times reise late in mtt but if some one rereise i just fold

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I’m playing it wisely. Folding to big 3 bets, unless the player is a maniac. Certainly want to see a good flop but obviously if I miss I’m playing with caution. KQ isn’t a bad hand but there are many hands ahead. Table dynamics dictate my strategy but in most cases I’m not looking to take a huge risk with KQ.

Mr_Hand

Mr_Hand

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It all depends on the position,structure and type of game ..again, the opponents play ..it is difficult to say how to play with such a hand at the beginning of the tournament ,whole books are written so that a few words will not be enough ...for example, I will drop the flop, if there is such an opportunity and not a threat to my stack ,big mistake to put much in the early stages of the tournament on a map ..as a matter of fact ,in an online tournament is quite another,you can cut down your head and attack with ACE high, so the majority plays ..it doesn't matter what the position is ,what the stack is,what the math is..
Out of the replies I have seen, this seems to say it best. In a tourney deepstacked, it's completely different than a 9 handed cash game. You need to adjust for the situation. One instance might be an allin situation where another is an open fold.

TeamPainter

TeamPainter

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Its a VERY scary hand to play early. Mid with no raise, yes. With limpers definitely. But early puts you in a situation of, "you have to hit the flop, if not, the only chance is a continuation bet or checking to a very possible raise that you have to fold to".

jre1106

jre1106

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I open with it from time to time early I fold it from time to time early. For me one of the main factor for me is stack size in comparison to other players at the table.

If I am big stack compared to most others I will open.

If there are bigger stacks pushing a lot I'll let it go in early position.

EvertonGirl

EvertonGirl

Professional Fish
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Even if I am deepstacked, I am not raising KQo in EP, if it was KQs then that is a different story.

Mr_Hand

Mr_Hand

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I open with it from time to time early I fold it from time to time early. For me one of the main factor for me is stack size in comparison to other players at the table.

If I am big stack compared to most others I will open.

If there are bigger stacks pushing a lot I'll let it go in early position.
Well said

kowrip

kowrip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In a 9-handed game, AQo is the bottom of my range for EP. So, KQo is a fold. I will open with KQo in a short-handed game or to occasionally mix up my play.

A

angelamsmith05

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would fold that hand unless I am last to act.

TheDude6622

TheDude6622

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is not an ideal hand to play in early position. If you do, just play it carefully.

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
KQ is not a strong enough hand to always play from early positions without thinking twice ... from my point of view I'll tell you that if you find yourself playing at the cash tables with this hand in early positions I would possibly open it with 2.5 BB. Of course, this type of hands should be played after analyzing your opponents ..!