The perils of Omaha H/L

K

kevkojak

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ok, I need a bit of help here folks.
My NLHE game is pretty poor (honesty is the best policy), I can grind a profit at low stakes, but it doesn't take long before I get reckless. The ABC strategy goes out the window and I attempt to mix it up getting clever with 3 8 off and overvaluing any low Ace. A playable strategy in the higher stakes, no doubt (for someone who knows what they're doing!) but a quick ticket to 'reload city' in the Micro stakes (no fold 'em hold 'em did I hear?)

Anyway, after a brief spell of good fortune playing PLO, I have been concentrating a bit more on Omaha Hi/Low.
I find it an easier to read game than Hold 'em, a bit more fun (HE gets a little monotonous for me after a long session) and much easier to stick to a game plan. I have been banking some decent wins in tourneys, SnG's and cash games, so I'm fairly happy, but I can't seem to find the best mix between loose and tight.
Its not a game for a tight passive player, so I've been switching between TAG and LAG styles depending on my mood and the stakes (LAG in the $1.75 games, TAG in the $3.50 games) and have had moderate success with both. I'm more comfortable playing tight agressive - However, even when I'm on uber-tight hand selection I find myself getting felted by rags. Usually someone playing A2xx hoping for the low draw, then catching 2 pair or a low wheel (trip 2's seem to be this weeks favourite...:mad: ) and winning the hi by accident. Is that just bad luck and down to variance?

I try to stick to high grouped or suited cards when I can, picking off low draws with A2 or A3 when suited. Reason being; there is ALWAYS a high hand, even if its just a pair of tens - but there is only a <8 low hand 60/70% of the time (guess). Surely its not profitable to go chasing every low hand is it? :confused:

If anyone can point me in the right direction I'd be very grateful.
I know H/L is a high variance game, I just need to know how loose to get with my low hand selection tbh.
How fractured a hand is acceptable?
Obviously grouped cards like 9 10 J Q, or 9 10 Q K with a gap are the best drawing hands, but if I was to play 2 3 9 10 double suited? Strong, moderate or weak hand?
Thanks for any input. I'm really enjoying my poker at the moment (apart from one or two drunken tirades on Friday night - ahem!).:rolleyes:

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I try to stick to high grouped or suited cards when I can, picking off low draws with A2 or A3 when suited. Reason being; there is ALWAYS a high hand, even if its just a pair of tens - but there is only a <8 low hand 60/70% of the time (guess). Surely its not profitable to go chasing every low hand is it? :confused:

Obviously grouped cards like 9 10 J Q, or 9 10 Q K with a gap are the best drawing hands, but if I was to play 2 3 9 10 double suited? Strong, moderate or weak hand?

This is quite a lot to cover here. Where to start... First off, I do not proclaim any expertise whatsoever, but LO8 is probably my best game, PLO8 2nd best, and I'm profitable at both. Are you playing LO8 or PLO8?

Generally speaking, and someone correct me if I'm wrong, H/L games are lower variance than Hi only. Limit shoud be much lower variance than PL, especially if you know what you're doing. BTW, limit should never be played LAG - TAG only. Many noobs to the game feel they should see most flops at a full ring table because it's cheap. But you need to determine playable hands carefully, and understand the difference between 6- and 9- ring tables. Small mistakes add up quickly.

Not profitable to chase every low hand. But is certainly is profitable seeing a flop with any A2. Even quartering is usually not for a loss, sixthing (did I just make up a word?) is uncommon, but happens, you gotta forgive yourself. And you will chase a low if you have a hand like A235. A suited ace make this hand even prettier.

Did I mention that you're looking at something the wrong way? :p By your own assertion that the low happens 'only' 60 - 70% percent of the time, and the fact that low chasers often win the Hi with a set of 2s, should tell you something. Inversely, should your 9TJQ win the Hi, 'only' 30 - 40% will you not be splitting the low. So the high only hand will scoop far less frequently. So, while this is a great hand for PLO, it loses a lot of value in O8. High only hands are more speculative. Definitely play them depending on suitedness, position, and where the gap is.

On to 239T double suited. Suits don't matter as much when they are far from the nut flush. Again, better in a 6-table. 9T are highly undesirable cards, as to see a straight will most often mean either 1) you'll split the pot with a low (78X), or 2) it will be the ass end of it. It's certainly a flop worth seeing in an unraised post in late position and hope an ace hits.