Patience - the best tactic in poker ?

zam220

zam220

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Patience in poker is a vital element that separates successful players from those who are constantly resets your bankroll. MTT tournaments can be compared to a marathon, not a sprint. You have to play the long distance, with as little as possible to show his emotions and constantly monitor their actions.

K

Klito

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you are playing cash game being patient is very important otherwise you would lose a lot of money
On tournaments also is better to be patient a wait for good hands ... if they don't come it is not your lucky tournament .. if you go all in with a bad hand even if you win after some hands you will think that you re lucky again and lose your chips

milka1605

milka1605

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i will not play where i loose too
but i dont know what does that mean . its a secret strategy? ;)
I tried to play on cash tables, various tournaments with a small entrance to $ 5 and a different number of players a, also sit and go to 1 table and a few. And I came to the conclusion that the cash game is not for me. I like tournaments with more than 1K players and sit tables and go for 36 players. Here I feel comfortable. In the future, I just switched to playing tickets and freerolls.There is not enough time for another. So I do not lose the bankroll at all. I'm quite satisfied. I'm not chasing a big win. Sometimes he comes just himself. It all depends on what you expect to get from poker.

M

microse

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that's about right. I wouldn't call it a tactic, though. A tactic is a specific line of actions, which is applicable only in specific contexts. So I would rather call it a strategy.

i dont agree with you, lets see :

whats the difference between tactic and strategy in the dictionary ??

1.strategy isa plan of action designed to achieve a long-term or overall aim.

2.tactic is an action or strategy carefully planned to achieve a specific end.

u see? they are the same.. No offense :laugh:

I am with buzz. They are different. Strategy is specifically a long term overall goal and the tactics are individual actions used to work toward the end of achieving the overall strategy. I think this is not the best wording for the definitions, but Buzz’s explanation is a widely accepted way of describing tactics vs strategies.

Here I would say the strategy (long term goal) according to OP is to succeed in poker and the tactic is using patience. In my opinion they is not a balanced set of tactics and to be a good and winning player requires patience to wait for the right hands in the best positions but playing the right hands with both aggression and passivity in a balanced manner. It is very situational. And so patience alone cannot be the only tactic used. Too much value is lost by not considering hand reading and the amount of “hidden” equity in opponents folding when you don’t hit your hand on the flop.

Garfield52

Garfield52

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have found that lately I have been playing with more patience, and it has been paying off. I have been getting further in tournaments by waiting out some of the poor cards and crazy players.

caterina12

caterina12

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience is a good quality for a poker player. YES YES

ebellari

ebellari

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have found that lately I have been playing with more patience, and it has been paying off. I have been getting further in tournaments by waiting out some of the poor cards and crazy players.

patience is the key my friend, i hope you will win more ;)

ebellari

ebellari

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Speaking of patience. I was very patient this afternoon as I watched this guy jamming pre-flop once every dozen or so hands (for no apparent reason) in a cash game. He rarely got called but one time he did. I noticed he only had A7o. That was all I needed to know.

So I was patient - waited till I had a good hand (AJs); he jammed and I called. My AJs stood up to his A6o and I doubled up.

Sometimes patience pays.

... say what you will about HUDs. There's no substitute for taking notes about odd behavior.

see guys
thats a good example for patience :D

B

bigjay2007

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience is certainly key, but reading other players tendencies is just as important. I have played tight only to be outdrawn by a loser player with big stack. Got to be careful there as well.

ChrisDavidson

ChrisDavidson

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ooh, I have problems with this. Need more patience

Amanda A

Amanda A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think patience and well timed aggression are a good combo.

ebellari

ebellari

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience is certainly key, but reading other players tendencies is just as important. I have played tight only to be outdrawn by a loser player with big stack. Got to be careful there as well.

of course reading other players tendencies is important; but you need patience to do that, no?

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say discipline is more accurate.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's an extension of patience. You need to have discipline to use position, avoid tilt, maintain proper hand selection, not over bluff, over call, over bet, or under to each of those. Sticking to an optimal game when things are not going your way or when you can't seem to lose. Sticking to what works based on the dynamics of the table.

U

ucdengboss

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am almost too patient at times playing MTT free rolls. It is quite often that I only play TT+, AK, and AQs. To be honest I would love to play hands like AJ, AT, in position but there is almost always 3 players in the pot when I am in position... and I cannot bring myself to play AT even on the button in a 4 way pot....

Xcoder

Xcoder

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Honestly i think the best tactic while playing nlhe is to stay calm, open minded. Expect to loose hands and have to lay the cards down every once and a while

wlad20082009

wlad20082009

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RU
Chips
Unfortunately, patience and discipline is often lacking.
jemocii_28.gif

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, don't think patience is the necessary part to be a successful player, nor do I think patience plays important role in wining poker.

A good strategy for known where is your edge is, and the other one is select fish.

if impatience , very easy to handle, sitting out , quit not play or take a rest.

or the reason of unequalized decision between two players, patience or impatience does not have any effect on accuracy of decision making.