Online tells

Panda1010

Panda1010

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
In online poker can you pick up on certain tales the other players may have? For example....the way they are betting. Or slow or fast calls?

gambit1983

gambit1983

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, but it isn’t very accurate. If you notice a player calling quickly whenever he is strong for example, you can use this to get a better idea of what his cards are.

perrypip

perrypip

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's easy to intentionally delay and vary your time to act (I do it all the time) so you can be easily fooled.

DrazaFFT

DrazaFFT

public static void
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Low limit players online can have a sizing tell on betting. Its not often and could take time to figure it out but it happens. Also there are mini tells like donk folds and autobettors which can be setup in hud to show, look for flop and donk/fold ratio and add it to a hood, its been a while since i played and even longer since i had a HEM2 so i coult give you exact setup details but you can look for it, former member on this forum shared it with me and it was really good tell upto 10NL
EDIT: also you wont need to put that much effort in finding those tells to beat up to 10nl, there are enough bad players to let your abc be profitable, just make sure to table select

lollipopas

lollipopas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I heard recently in a podcast something about this. Basically, since it's not live, it's easy to be fooled - say, if a person takes forever to decide, you think it means something, but in reality, their dog just barfed on them or they spilled their coffee or whatever and were dealing with it.
But one thing that could be useful is automatic check (if it's one of those check/fold ones), then in that situation you can now not worry about that player having a good hand.

E

emzadii

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I heard recently in a podcast something about this. Basically, since it's not live, it's easy to be fooled - say, if a person takes forever to decide, you think it means something, but in reality, their dog just barfed on them or they spilled their coffee or whatever and were dealing with it.
But one thing that could be useful is automatic check (if it's one of those check/fold ones), then in that situation you can now not worry about that player having a good hand.

Agree 100%. Delayed action= try not to read too much into it. Auto check = likely not strong.

Also, bet sizing helps tremendously. This is when your notes on players' betsize tendencies, especially with showdown hands, are very important.

(Reminder: Of course, you could be incorrect sometimes, but you're relying on being correct on average in the long run because overwhelmingly most people, especially in the lower limits, are creatures of habits. Hardly any GTO, so play exploitatively.)

P

PrinceJigger

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've noticed that whenever an inexperienced player makes a very quick min 3-bet postflop, it usually represents a very strong hand.

lollipopas

lollipopas

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Agree 100%. Delayed action= try not to read too much into it. Auto check = likely not strong.

Also, bet sizing helps tremendously. This is when your notes on players' betsize tendencies, especially with showdown hands, are very important.

(Reminder: Of course, you could be incorrect sometimes, but you're relying on being correct on average in the long run because overwhelmingly most people, especially in the lower limits, are creatures of habits. Hardly any GTO, so play exploitatively.)

Could you give some examples with bet sizing, how you would note this?
Would you analyze a few showdown hands and note down bets for every street, and then it would be something like: cbets 1/3 with nothing, cbets 2/3 with a strong hand?

1nsomn1a

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the most useful information in online poker is the size of the bets and the cards that the opponent has in the showdown. This way you will understand which cards are being played aggressively by your opponent and the size of the bets will determine whether they want you to call or want you to drop your hand.

The betting time does not help much, since you can deliberately adjust the time for actions and there are also many multitabler players online.:)

elizeuof

elizeuof

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think there are so many tells on online poker, but it will depend of who are playing, I will try to list some.

1 - An very agressive player just calling or limp.

2 - A player in the initial position whit a favorable flop just check.

3 - A player that make a make a high bet on flops with draw, in certain cases he have good cards and are with afraid to any other complete the draw, or he are nuts draw.

4 - Donk bet from the initial position, the player must play the top of range in these position, depending on your action pre flop you probraby are losing.

5 - Betting the half pot or the pot on the river, some players betting in all the streets, but when see a strange card on river generally just check, this are great for who are trying to bluff.

6 - 1BB bet, here there are two things to consider, the player can had trying to make any other trying to bluff to extract value, or maybe him don't have a good hand and are trying to make others to fold with the low price possible.

7 - Check/raise on the turn, generally on the turn the hand are already made, he don't need to waiting the river, but he wants to extract value given to you a opportunity to try to bluff.

E

emzadii

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Could you give some examples with bet sizing, how you would note this?
Would you analyze a few showdown hands and note down bets for every street, and then it would be something like: cbets 1/3 with nothing, cbets 2/3 with a strong hand?

Hi Lollipopas,

In terms of betsizing and showdown hands, I do make notes during play. Helps me see the baseline standard (preflop and postflop) because players behave differently. A 2.2bb RFI maybe standard for one player, but a 3bb might be for another. A 1/3pot cbet is a standard for one, a 2/3 cbet might be for another, and some would check regardless when missed. Some would donk-minbet a 2nd pair, some tends to bet 2/3 on the river with bluff.

It's also good to pay attention to the non-showdown hands. Helps me ballpark player's standard and verify when seen enough showdowns.

In terms of tells, elizeuof puts together a good list. Note the extraordinary, i.e., when the aggro turns passive, or the meow suddenly turns into a roar, either preflop or on any streets. :)

Poker Tells