online etiquette?????

C

carpeamentum

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So, I have seen a few times where, in a freeroll, I will be at a full table and everyone else will be sitting out. I love this part of a freeroll. I just sit, laugh, and keep clicking where the raise button appears.

However, one time that this happened, a short stack got knocked out, or moved and a not sitting out player took their place. As soon as they noticed, they typed "take turns?" into the chat box. At that point, I decided that this guy was not to get more than 1/3 of these blinds. I bullied him up and down taking the chips of everyone sitting out, and a lot of his too. I figured if he needed to ask me to get the 1/2 of the chips, then he was a weak player.

Turns out I was right.

The moral of this story is don't ask the other player to take turns, start playing mostly like it was a heads-up game. If they are desperate to take 2nd, they will let you walk all over them and steal most of the now sitting-out 3rd player's chips.

R

RazzleDazzle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I checked out full tilt's site terms and I didn't see anything specifically relating to this, though they had a blanket rule about playing fairly which gives them a lot of discretion in a situation like this (and they may outline this specific situation as I believe they refer to another rules page in the site terms which I could not find). And I also took another look at pokerstars page where they seem to outline this situation, its in the prohibbited chat section on their website, and the situation they refer to is not where someone is specifically sitting out, but rather gets disconnected and is out of the game for that reason. In fact, they even say its a fine line, but do you really want to cross it, especially considering that they specifically say that you risk forfeiting your prize money, or some portion of it.

Also, I have an online etiquette question so I guess here would be a good place to ask it.

I just finished playing someone heads up razz and in the beginning of the match he took a commaning lead, something like 2.5 to 1, which ended up going to a 5 to 1 lead, 2500 to 500. At this point, he starts playing ridiculously slow, using his timer and waiting until he absolutely had to make a bet, even when it was beyond clear that he should and would raise as i would have like k q up and he had 2 lows up. It was pretty clear that he was trying to hold the game till the blinds went up thinking he could knock me out more easily - unfortunately for him, I like the higher blinds and made a great comeback and knocked him out, but is what he did bad etiquette, or is it a common heads up strategy?

C

chadherczeg

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't really think that is consider colluding, because the chip leader knows that he is giving up at that point in time. If he leaves and everyone else at the table agrees then i don't think it is wrong. I myself always propose this in this situation and have been in this situation quite a few times. sometimes the people agree, sometimes they don't. It is really up to the table and the players at it what to do. So let the overall census be your guide.

U

uncc40niners

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I's best to just try to play normal with the other player but try to take the blindsrom the sit outs. I really hate when in this situation but having a coupld of sitouts.

S

sketchpad

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
hey if a person sits out their money is fair game, and you don't owe them anything. I'm all for blinding them out

rotocub

rotocub

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I was in a S&G once where it was down to three handed.....myself of course, one huge stack and one sitting out with about the same amount of chips as me. I sort of assumed without saying anything at all that the big stack would go after the 'sitter' (immediately to his left) and I'd probably end up 2nd. Much to my surprise, the big stack kept dumping SBs to the sitter and bullying me. I finally asked wtf he was doing to which he replied if I wasn't good enough to beat a guy sitting out, then I didn't deserve 2nd. He was clearly dumping chips. I probably should have reported him.

juz2swt

juz2swt

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What is this online etiquette you speak of is there such a thing.?? lol

A

Adventurebound2

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Say you're in a 9 person sng, top three obviously cash, and the chip leader says he has to go and sits out. If there's only 3 left, is it wrong to keep taking his blinds to get heads up with the other person who's still there? I know colluding isn't allowed and whatnot, but should you just play it out with the other present player? I had this happen to me today and wasn't sure.

It is only collusion if you two talk about taking the sitter's blinds by taking turns or such. Unspoken it is just comon sense to blind out the sitter before putting yourself at risk of being knocked out.

mjdavinci

mjdavinci

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do not think that it is bad to take the blinds. You are not stealing them every one knows the rules when they sign up. It is going to happen anyway even if he is in the game and not palying due to a cold deck. He will still lose the antes and blinds . But I also agree that if you can not commit to the game do not sign up.