Omaha Hi\Lo

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The A5 would win both hands finish with the 8 in the low. The Ace would be lower then 2. I was writing about the low hand since the high plays just as normal ranking go. You can win both ways. High and low, they split the pot if you have a low hand, {5 cards under 8}

As I read this you are totally wrong!!!

Hand described was 876 (on the board) with 2 players holding A5 or 23.

The low end of the pot goes to the 23, NOT the A5.

Samango

Samango

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The A5 would win both hands finish with the 8 in the low. The Ace would be lower then 2. I was writing about the low hand since the high plays just as normal ranking go. You can win both ways. High and low, they split the pot if you have a low hand, {5 cards under 8}

No!
Queenie has asked for an explanation and it's bad enough that this wrong answer was given already to hawtshawt420's original question twice in this thread. To now re-iterate it, after Big_Rudy has checked and others have confirmed that he is right, is just ridiculous.

The ace is lower than the 2 as you state. but that is secondary to the fact that the 3 is lower than the 5.
As already stated above, you should work down from the highest card:- so 87632 v 8765A -- 8-8, 7-7, 6-6, 3-5, the three wins (as long as there is a 5th card to make a low hand)

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Some Omaha basics;
If you are offered the opportunity to play either PLO or PLO8, choose the PLO.

In PLO you can still play the low cards, but when you hit those low straights, you will not have to split with a lower hand.

You must use 2 of you cards with 3 board cards.

Always read you hand top to bottom ex; 7532A or 87642. 8 highs are caution hands in PLO8, especially when the 8 is in your hand.

Your dealt hand has 6 unique hands...AB,AC,AD,BC,BD,CD. On a 6 max table, each of those hands is up against 30 other hands....ducy? At a full 9 seat table, each of those hands is up against 54 other hands. Full table PLOx are getting harder to find tho, and rumors exist suggesting 9 max PLOx will disappear for lack of interest.

There are many 'best hand' descriptions for PLO and PLO8, split low cards in PLO are not good, while they play very well in PLO8. AAK2 double suited is a great hand in PLO8, while less so (still very nice) in PLO.

Remember you hold 6 unique hands each deal. Make at least 3 of them pretty good hands to play with before you absent mindlessly call every hand. Suited high cards would be one hand, connectors another, pairs another etc.

If you are dealt 888A.... fold. Terrible low hand, you can't improve to a set of 8's very often, and the only flop you will love is AAA, ok maybe AAx. A flop like 234 will more than likely lose you money.

Remember you must use 2 of your cards with 3 from the board. For the Hi/Lo version they need not be the same cards, but can be (hands like 5432A or 76543).

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For those of you having problems with how to determine how low the low hand is;

Treat your hand like a 5 digit number where A=1

87,651 vs 87,632 --- which number is lower?

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
No!
Queenie has asked for an explanation and it's bad enough that this wrong answer was given already to hawtshawt420's original question twice in this thread. To now re-iterate it, after Big_Rudy has checked and others have confirmed that he is right, is just ridiculous.

The ace is lower than the 2 as you state. but that is secondary to the fact that the 3 is lower than the 5.
As already stated above, you should work down from the highest card:- so 87632 v 8765A -- 8-8, 7-7, 6-6, 3-5, the three wins (as long as there is a 5th card to make a low hand)

Thanks for your support.:) Actually, it annoys me to no end when people provide the wrong "answers" to a question, especially repeatedly in the same thread. If you don't know, just say you don't know. No shame in that. I'd rather see that than see someone give an incorrect answer or faulty reasoning just to sound "knowledgeable".

What annoys me even more is that I still can't win at this %$#!*&^% game when it appears a considerable number of the players aren't even sure what contributes to the best/winning hand. But, that is a different story for another day....:( .

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some Omaha basics;
If you are offered the opportunity to play either PLO or PLO8, choose the PLO.

In PLO you can still play the low cards, but when you hit those low straights, you will not have to split with a lower hand.

You must use 2 of you cards with 3 board cards.

Always read you hand top to bottom ex; 7532A or 87642. 8 highs are caution hands in PLO8, especially when the 8 is in your hand.

Your dealt hand has 6 unique hands...AB,AC,AD,BC,BD,CD. On a 6 max table, each of those hands is up against 30 other hands....ducy? At a full 9 seat table, each of those hands is up against 54 other hands. Full table PLOx are getting harder to find tho, and rumors exist suggesting 9 max PLOx will disappear for lack of interest.

There are many 'best hand' descriptions for PLO and PLO8, split low cards in PLO are not good, while they play very well in PLO8. AAK2 double suited is a great hand in PLO8, while less so (still very nice) in PLO.

Remember you hold 6 unique hands each deal. Make at least 3 of them pretty good hands to play with before you absent mindlessly call every hand. Suited high cards would be one hand, connectors another, pairs another etc.

If you are dealt 888A.... fold. Terrible low hand, you can't improve to a set of 8's very often, and the only flop you will love is AAA, ok maybe AAx. A flop like 234 will more than likely lose you money.

Remember you must use 2 of your cards with 3 from the board. For the Hi/Lo version they need not be the same cards, but can be (hands like 5432A or 76543).

Nice synopsis here. My only quibble is with the "choose PLO over PLO8" bit. I think that's pretty player dependant/specific. The two are such different games that the play really isn't all that similar. In my case, for example, I quite enjoy PLO8, but really don't enjoy PLO at all. Everything is different. Strategy, gameplay, starting hands, etc, etc....

iec

iec

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
BTW as you can see in this thread, there is also another reason why to play PLO8 :)

Even many from the more experienced players don't know the hand rankings right, so what about some recreational players, who don't have a complete clue then :canabis:

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BTW as you can see in this thread, there is also another reason why to play PLO8 :)

Even many from the more experienced players don't know the hand rankings right, so what about some recreational players, who don't have a complete clue then :canabis:

That's actually one of the things that annoys me about this game. I at least understand the rankings, but still can't win while many who don't understand them say they manage to win at this game, although how that's possible is beyond me..

H

hawtshawt420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you don't know, just say you don't know. No shame in that. I'd rather see that than see someone give an incorrect answer or faulty reasoning just to sound "knowledgeable".

This is why I was so lost. I've played some super micros and get the gist and it doesn't seem as though 23 vs A5 comes up as often as it should. either way its a buck so no biggie but every time I've asked everyone seems to have a different answer. I'm sure I'd be a high roller playing triple digit blinds for plo8 if i wasn't lied to (not saying anyone purposely lied to throw others off, just that info was wrong) so consistently.

B

Big_Rudy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Yeah, I get bothered by incorrect answers, too. And I don't play this game frequently enough that it makes me start questioning MY answers when I should know they are correct. Luckily there were several good answers in this thread as well. I particularly like the one I've quoted above. Simple, straight-forward, easy to understand.