Total posts
Chips
I think it's being patient in your moves

0_5v

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My #1 rule is even when you have folded, play the hand with your folded cards in your mind, to reinforce your fold was right or wrong. And try to learn from these, so in short keep playing the GAME even if not in this HAND.

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I had to pick one it would be discipline. Although I admit I cheat with that.

You need discipline on bankroll management, hand selection, concentration, position, emotional intelligence, chat language (ok not necessary but one I wish others had)

G

gofish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Tournament - Patience. On the flop if you have a monster hand like flopping an ace high flush or above (in other words 80-90%+ to win) then remember to value bet, be too aggressive and others will most likely fold. You want to build up your stack every opportunity you get like that. A tournament is a marathon, not a race.. remember that! Only exception is when someone re-raises all in.. very nice to happen. :)

Cash game - If you're playing on a table of donks and you have a monster hand (again 80-90%+), BET REALLY BIG. They will call you no matter what and you'll make a shit ton of profit most of the time. Unless you're really unlucky of course.. then you can post about that in the bad beat forum.. :)

Last edited:
G

gofish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My #1 rule is even when you have folded, play the hand with your folded cards in your mind, to reinforce your fold was right or wrong. And try to learn from these, so in short keep playing the GAME even if not in this HAND.

Not good.. do you know how many times over the years I folded 2 7 only for the flop to be 2 2 7 or 7 7 7.. lol. :D

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Project Moderator
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Tournament play...base your decisions more on position and relative stack size than hand strength.

Cash game play...a mystery to me too.:)

G

gofish

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I thought of another rule. DO NOT be predictable.

In cash games I have seen players who min raise with mediocre hands like 10J, 3 bet raise with AQ or better and 4 bet raise when they obviously have QQ, KK or AA.. in other words they were too predictable. If one of said players 4 bet I knew they had QQ, KK or AA so if I have 89 suited and the flop comes 8 8 2.. I know I have them beat on the flop but it is very hard for them to fold..

DO NOT be predictable folks. Switch it up from time to time...

sryulaw

sryulaw

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience?

Please post what you think is the the number#1 rule to winning and when i say winning i don't mean always money but making the right call at the correct time.

Thank You

Michael Stacey

This comes with time, you need to change your midset, mastering your actions day after day, then the results of success appears. This for both poker and personal life, work, study ... focus on what you want, what you are looking for, have an objective.
If you put a range of hands that you would play in each phase, you will be focused on them, so the patience to wait for them will be a detail of your game.

Farmz

Farmz

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Remember that game when you've been on top form?? Reading hands well, folding your aces, making that big raise holding 72, just knowing your opponent will fold! [emoji16]that's the winning formula for me, reading players! A multitude of patience, aggression and change of gears too.

MikeCarasone

MikeCarasone

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Having the patience and discipline to play well and make the best decisions at all times despite losing to bad beats and being unlucky is an important rule to winning. Being capable of folding is vital. Sometimes our monster hands are beat and that's that. Being able to fold is crucial to success.

Poker Rules - Poker Games