Need help with Bet size.....

F

Freakakanus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
After watching my play in the donkament vids and with some of the criticism from the commentary I realize and agree that I often overbet the pot. I do it whether I'm bluffing or have the nuts.....

I'm sure I've asked this 1000 times so here goes 1001 in hopes of it sticking in my brain.

Given this situation....what is the recommended bet to get action but not to much action?

Table '45672207 5' 9-max Seat #8 is the button
Seat 1: Rikardo1 (2560 in chips)
Seat 2: Freakakanus (3110 in chips)
Seat 3: OLD TAFFY (2985 in chips)
Seat 5: PopinJay1 (2930 in chips)
Seat 6: hones77 (7445 in chips)
Seat 7: ciderdup (1555 in chips)
Seat 8: Themaineone (1625 in chips)
Rikardo1: posts small blind 50
Freakakanus: posts big blind 100
*** HOLE CARDS ***
Dealt to Freakakanus [Ad Ah]
OLD TAFFY: folds
PopinJay1: folds
hones77: calls 100
ciderdup: calls 100
Themaineone: calls 100
Rikardo1: calls 50
Freakakanus: raises ????

Move to Hand analysis section if needed....sorry I put it in the wrong place.

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
What are your reads on your opponents? Do they call a lot preflop?

I think you can stick to the 3BB + 1BB for every limper rule in this situation (in this case it would be ~700), but you might want to bet a little less to induce action; maybe 500 or 600.

The looser the players are, the bigger you can make your bets since they're more likely to call them anyways.

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well you certainly don't want to face 4 other players with your aces. Taking the pot down isn't a horrible result especially since you will be out of position. I would bet out about 500 ot 600, probably 600 here. I know it's a large raise (larger than the pot), but you already have 4 players that have shown interest and you have to get some of them out and make those that stay pay to chase your aces.

I think in this spot with these circumstances an over bet is probably a good idea.

F

Freakakanus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
3BB+1BB for every limper rule....... why haven't I learned that before?

Well I bet 1000 and of course they all folded......but I knew if I only raised 300 they would have all come in....at this point in the SNG the chips were trading places quite a bit. I thought even with a 1000 bet I'd get 1 caller who may have even pushed.

So does rule above apply only to pre-flop or do you use this as a general rule throughout the hand?
I know this question seems stupid and I realize it ALL DEPENDS..... but I'm looking for generalizations here.....

ChuckTs

ChuckTs

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^^I don't see how that rule would apply postflop...

But ya, it's just a good general rule for preflop raising amounts. Once in a while you might want to overbet or bet smaller to induce a certain action from other players, but sticking strictly to the rule will work just fine.

mrsnake3695

mrsnake3695

I'm confused
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Post flop you use the pot size to judge your bets. Half the pot, three quarters of the pot, pot, etc.

Ronaldadio

Ronaldadio

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well I bet 1000 and of course they all folded......but I knew if I only raised 300 they would have all come in

Have u not just answered your own question here???

So bet between 300 + 1000, as the guys have said.

I once read a section by Doyle Brunson. Although his position is different to yours he said that if he is UTG, delt AA, a lot of the time he flat calls, looking for a raiser. If he gets a raiser, he then looks at how many are in the pot, but in general will reraise. If he is flat called around the table, he says he goes all in, or puts in a massive bet, regardless of the flop.

I`m sure, however, if he flopped another Ace he would differ his approach.

F

Freakakanus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^^I don't see how that rule would apply postflop...

But ya, it's just a good general rule for preflop raising amounts. Once in a while you might want to overbet or bet smaller to induce a certain action from other players, but sticking strictly to the rule will work just fine.

It wouldn't actually...I think I'm putting it wrong...I'll see if I can figure out what I'm really asking about that.... but preflop it's still something I can remember that I didn't know before.

dj11

dj11

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think you can stick to the 3BB + 1BB for every limper rule in this situation.

This is one of those tidbits of info that sneak into almost every thread. I too was unaware of this "rule". Of course it would only be respected by serious players, but after thinking about it for all of 20 seconds, I can see some nice logic in it. Along with the psychologic implications.

After a bet of 500 - 700 in that situation, I can visuallize a sign hanging over that pot say "Only the serious need apply"

Last edited: