More Important...better pusher or better folder?

C

CallmeFloppy

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Both are important, but folding will have a bigger long term impact on your bankroll. I would put my focus there.

odo333

odo333

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello mate. I think that for the long term it would be agressive strategy, but only with nice hands, for example 1010 and betters

V

vlk2k

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've always watched some of the greatest poker players and have been more impressed with the folds than the calls. It's natural human instinct to pay and see what's in the "mystery box", but when you can resist that strong pull, now that makes a great poker player. .

I completely agree. I often make a call, only to see if I was right when I thought I should have made a Fold?

V

vlk2k

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
As the saying goes: Do you want to win - do Fold.
But why I do not always do this myself? :)

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You need to be better at the Why Fold?

I've always watched some of the greatest poker players and have been more impressed with the folds than the calls. It's natural human instinct to pay and see what's in the "mystery box", but when you can resist that strong pull, now that makes a great poker player. I've been in a few 3-way all-in situations with pretty solid post flop hands and folded just to find out I made the right decision. It hasn't helped my bankroll yet but hopefully it will in the future.

Thank you for posting.

If you work on the why am I folding? Should I be folding? Even though I lost was my fold correct? Your poker skill set will increase.

Many of us look at the won or lost aspects of a single fold and move on. When we fold we celebrate if we would not have won that hand but did we just get lucky or was the fold the correct play?
Learning to use hand ranges and incorporating bluff % may cause you to fold less often but win more over time even though you will be losing some hands.

In your specific example of a 3 way all in consider this situation:
Hero AQ- Vill 1 -JJ Vill 2 -99
You have 36% should you cold call two shoves? In a tournament is tripling your stack more important than getting knocked out?

What about this situation:

Hero AQ Vill 1 Jc10c Vill 2 99
If we fold was it right? Why because 99 held up this time?

I hope this helped.

:):):)

D

Das4ever

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to know when to fold I think it’s really important

rj_montana

rj_montana

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Pushing and folding skills are both essential. In business, you can earn revenues, or you can cut back expenditures; each boost your bottom line equally. In that sense, I don't think that one or the other is more "important".

In my experience, it's been much tougher to learn which hands to defend and call with, than which hands to push with. Because in order to understand what range to call with, you need to first understand what range people should be pushing with. Understanding a proper calling range presupposes understanding a proper pushing range.

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
100% folding last night won an event and was down to six... I am telling you I had chip lead and I flat out wanted to shove any two face cards etc... but i played right trapped people and one biggest was for a million chips my aq vs aj not all in till all cards played.... I checked to river jack hit flop aqa... he did small bet i did a min raise he raised more i shoved he called....

another situation same thing set them up with nutts checking and again better boat for win.... i was patient which is the hardest thing to do... Especially if your on a roll and got a big fat ego from space haha

Aldorabe

Aldorabe

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's hard to resist blindly, when good hands don't come, so if they're cheap to see the flop, I pay

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I dont know if this answers your question but you should be folding more than you are shoving.

German629

German629

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi the ALL! I think, to do a right fold, as and to do a hero call in the decisive
and main in the needing moment of play -- this is indicator of real skill,
which come only with the big playing experience and permanent
and painstaking work above own game... What I wish the everyone!:cool:

armoko

armoko

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
agree with the above post. When you have really strong hand like AA or KK its more harder to fold than to call.

P

praevus

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It's hard to fold sometimes, but sometimes you have to do this.

I once heard a phrase:
"You can't win a tournament in one hand, but you can lose it."
After that, I started folding more, sometimes it's better to fold a dubious hand that you would win, but in the long run it would be a loss.

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Well, considering the person who originally opened the thread (almost a year ago) has since been banned, I see little point in trying to answer their question.

However, to those of us who remained unbanned and free to enjoy the forums & privileges entailed, for what it's worth being a better folder (so to speak [you needn't stack paperwork inside yourself]) is far more beneficial I-M-(perhaps not so)-H-O.

Remember once reading something along the lines of 'you're not going to win many tournaments if you can't fold the best hand occasionally'.

I think there's some truth in that.

Take for example the spot where you've flopped a set but there's a flush draw out there or it's a suited board, if you shove or call that villain's covering all-in 100% of the time, you'll be getting it in good against flush draws but eventually you're gonna be heading to the lobby muttering (or in my case wailing) about -ev calls and might end up clicking on the rigged megathread ready to rage like some kind of deranged baboon.

Knowing when to shove is important, knowing when to fold is more so.

I'm ready to break into Kenny Rogers lyrics now. :flute:

M

maxi_j

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Usually folding is harder part. But knowing when to push depending on stack size opponent and position is also important and newbies do a lot mistakes (usual when gets shorthanded or heads up)

Folding in Poker