minimum starting hand against a button raiser

C

cracksniper

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thought I'd ask for a few replies as I value the experienced members advice on here. Late on in tourneys I find the need to steal the blinds becomes more and more important. So, for example you've made it down to the last 400 players from a 4-5000 entries, the blinds are usually 1-2000 and the antes are 200, it gets folded around to the button who has a similar stack to yours being 28000 and he raises 6000 you are in the SB. Now this could be a steal or he may have a monster difficult to tell but what would your minimum starting hand requirements be to a)call the raise or b)go all in and put him to the test, both bearing in mind the BB is yet to act? Thanks guys

cjatud2012

cjatud2012

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This may not be the answer your were looking for, but if a player has ~t28,000 behind him at t1,000/t2,000 blinds with t200 antes, and he raises to t6000, this is almost never a steal. He's putting in almost 25% of his stack, for him to raise/fold here would be truly terrible. You can generally assume you have no fold equity against this player, so fold anything you wouldn't normally 3-bet for value.

In general, if you assume your opponent is going to fold, then in theory it doesn't matter what kind of hand you raise with. However, in the cases where your opponent does have a monster, then it's better to have a suited connected hand like 98s than a hand like Q3o.

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 21.748% 21.56% 00.19% 8859828 77382.00 { 98s }
Hand 1: 78.252% 78.06% 00.19% 32080704 77382.00 { KK }

equity win tie pots won pots tied
Hand 0: 11.589% 11.37% 00.22% 14011740 276228.00 { Q3o }
Hand 1: 88.411% 88.19% 00.22% 108721692 276228.00 { KK }

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Thought I'd ask for a few replies as I value the experienced members advice on here. Late on in tourneys I find the need to steal the blinds becomes more and more important. So, for example you've made it down to the last 400 players from a 4-5000 entries, the blinds are usually 1-2000 and the antes are 200, it gets folded around to the button who has a similar stack to yours being 28000 and he raises 6000 you are in the SB. Now this could be a steal or he may have a monster difficult to tell but what would your minimum starting hand requirements be to a)call the raise or b)go all in and put him to the test, both bearing in mind the BB is yet to act? Thanks guys

"It depends" It depends on what kind of player your opponent is. I would think you'd have absolutely ZERO fold equity here (raise/folding w 14bb's is horrendous.. raise/folding with <20bb's is pretty rare.. but maybe in this spot..'depends'). Typically villain would be shoving here with the majority of their range... 'maybe' just raising with monsters (but in a higher buyin they'll be shoving AA KK QQ as well for deception)... in a micro you might be able to get away with it (have players who won't even recognize that the raise = MONSTER as they'd be typically shove/fold in this spot).

My minimum hand to call the raise with would be > AA KK .. anyother hand I'd consider playing for stacks vs. villain I'd be shoving with,.. everything else I'm folding. In other words... we're not 'calling' here in this spot... ever.. unless we're trapping villain with our AA/KK ("BUT".. seriously.. unless villain is superrrrr badddddd they should never be folding to our shove in this spot. "IF" effective stacks were a bit deeper (but not alot, say 15-20bb's.. I'd be likely flatting w AA/KK (again though 'it depends' on villain) & shipping (or folding) the rest.

As far as how strong does my hand need to be to shove here in this spot? "It depends" lol.

note - I don't see how it could be 'difficult' to tell what type of hand your opponent has here (it depends on buyin level.. if he's a decent/ok reg. in micros then I'd assume he has a monster hand (but also depends on your image... does villain (if he's knowledgeable/decent winning micro reg.) believe you're a decent/knowledgeable/winning micro reg.).

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands