Math in poker

FanatsLV

FanatsLV

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How many of you are using a mathematic while playing your hand calculating percentage and possibly of outcome?

For me personally is if I'm taking seriously my poker session I'm following to every hand what I'm playing from which position and making calculations in my head. But if I'm playing just to relax after work just playing for fun and really bothered about all that just trying get some fun and action.

Last edited by a moderator:
B

bellicoso

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've been trying to work on this, but I'm still learning. I do consider my hands in range and in position, but I have yet to master the equity values of my hands. There's something there that I'm still failing to grasp... Anyway, I have no doubt that, once I'm able to manage this, it'll add a lot to my game. Right now, I use position and pot odds, but that's about it. I really need to figure out the rest. :)

D

dregan

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I just remember how many times I lost in this situation or won. That's all my math in poker. We can say that probability theory in the case.

darthjewel

darthjewel

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I do the math before the game, then I try to memorize the important points
and during the game use these points but rely more on my game experience.
The cards are divided into 6 groups, I am aware about the position but again think in the terms of levels not the exact values.
I am more concerned about the amount of money to bet, my bankroll and the pot size than the relative hand strength.
On the other hand I am a fan of all the statistics and with the time definitely use them more and wider that at present.

D

Dark Army

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I keep an Excel spreadsheet during an online tournament. It helps a little bit but mostly just sits there.

It's has a calc that tells me how many BB's I have. I could do this in my head, but the calc is exact. When I get below 15 BB's, the value turns red. Above 15 is green.

I also made a calc that tells me if my odds of hitting on the turn or river is better or worse than the pot odds.

Another one tells me exactly how much money I would lose every time the blinds go up if I were to sit out or play extremely tight without winning a single pot. This only comes in handy when I have a large chip stack and I decide to play super tight or sit out. Have you ever wondered if you can afford to fold your way into the final table? For example, lets say there's 14 guys left in the tournament. If I sat out or check/folded every blind for 20, 30, 40 minutes or more, it estimates the loss. If the chip stack is large enough, I could fold every hand and make the final table guaranteed with enough chips left to compete.

The other sheets just track my bankroll and have a list of starting hands by position.

VIP_TARIFF

VIP_TARIFF

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also consider the mathematics of poker, very comfortable to play and comfortable at the table. I generally play without programs are prepared in such a way to offline tournaments:)))

vitalicharniak

vitalicharniak

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game based on mathematics, where you should be able to count the chances and probabilities of both your hand and your opponent's hand in each specific situation. Almost all poker players use mathematics during the game without understanding that they are doing this.

FanatsLV

FanatsLV

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is a game based on mathematics, where you should be able to count the chances and probabilities of both your hand and your opponent's hand in each specific situation. Almost all poker players use mathematics during the game without understanding that they are doing this.
How you can be able count your opponent probability if you don't know what he have you can just guess what hand he may be but make calculation on your opponents hand would be same like count apples in the tree just pointless :D

dedok0525

dedok0525

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also play poker that would relax, but over time I began to define eqity just looking at the board and its card. I'm not bothered. Especially using the math you will always be at an advantage over those who play using only your intuition. Unfortunately this does not guarantee victory. For example in yesterday's freeroll, I flew after made all-in his two opponents on the flop. Ou played pretty carefully, I knew it, and having a KK hand on the board where they could collect the flush draw I decided it would be appropriate to reduce their chances. But they both called me. From the point of view of mathematics, they made a mistake, but one of them collected a flush on the river. The other had a trash hand.

P

Pokagambler

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You have to learn those by heart.

You can't do the math every time you play.You need to focus on the hand's action.You need to learn math by heart.After all those years I don't need to calculate anymore.I know my percentage.

david1bear

david1bear

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel if you worry to much about the mathematic part of poker you will go stir crazy:0) you will miss out on the fun of it and I do believe poker has a great amount to do with luck as much as the skill;0)

MrPokerVerse

MrPokerVerse

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Normally looking at the odds when someone is raising. Pot odds, implied odds and outs. Those will just come natural when you using them often.

Nintendo

Nintendo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
knowing the math plays a large role in decisions no doubt.

ANATOLII1981

ANATOLII1981

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker Math

Will math poker help make more money? This is a fairly frequently asked question. Of course, in poker you can win even without using mathematics, but knowing and understanding the basics of poker mathematics such as pot odds, potential odds, probabilities of improving your opponent’s hand and hand, equity, fold equity, mathematical expectation and many others, will help you to win more more poker money and significantly improve your game. Mathematics in poker will give you an advantage over those opponents who do not want to devote time to it.

I try to always use mathematics and not forget about it - for example, I know his chances of building a flush after the flop:bandit::bandit::bandit:

B

beks_baks

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello, I\m new to this site

How many of you are using a mathematic while playing your hand calculating percentage and possibly of outcome?

For me personally is if I'm taking seriously my poker session I'm following to every hand what I'm playing from which position and making calculations in my head. But if I'm playing just to relax after work just playing for fun and really bothered about all that just trying get some fun and action.

Can you share any links to learn how to calculate percentage of win,pls? which one do you use?

vov4ik

vov4ik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
when I first started playing poker, I calculated and used programs for correct calculations, now I just play and I already know and I myself think in my head how and what I need, I think that those people who play for a very long time they decide everything head, but if a player is new then it is better, of course, at the beginning to use the program for calculations and then when he already understands that the program is not needed, you can delete it!

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Dailon Arroyo Blandon

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CR
Chips
For many, they hardly hear the word mathematics ... "a knot is made in the brain". However, it is very important to master this aspect as it is very useful when playing poker ...! If you practice it every day, the moment comes that you can easily master it ...!

FanatsLV

FanatsLV

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can you share any links to learn how to calculate percentage of win,pls? which one do you use?
I don't use any links or Apps, I'm doing everything in my head but I'm sure you could find good calculator if you just Google it

K

krezip

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Pretty much most of the time, but very basic though. Like knowing how often a bluff has to be successful to determine bet sizing or deciding on whether to call all-ins and stuff.

D

Dark Army

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Here is the cardschat page for odds. It's easy to understand. They explain it in the easiest of terms.

https://www.cardschat.com/odds-for-dummies.php

The thing you'll need to wrap your head around is comparing the pot odds to the odds of the card that makes your hand hitting the board. It's kinda awkward at first, but you'll get it. Think of it like this...

Let's say you want to place a bet on your favorite football team. If your team has 4:1 odds of winning the match, you wouldn't want to place a bet on that team that pays 3:1 or 2:1. It should pay 4:1 (Or better) just like the odds of the team winning. Think of it in extremes so it makes more sense.

If your team has a 100:1 chance of winning, would you place a bet that pays only 3:1? That's crazy. Your team is a huge long shot to win but you're getting paid like it's a favorite. You should be paid large for making such a long-shot bet if it happens to win. If you bet $1 and they win, you should be paid $100....not $3.

Works the same way with cards. If the odds of making your hand is 4:1, you're not going to call a bet that's gonna pay you 3:1 or 2:1 if you win. You should be paid 4:1, 5:1, 6:1 or better.

The math behind this is explained in the link.

juninhigh

juninhigh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Well i'm doing exactly the same, if is a cash game or a tournament or an important freeroll i take my time to do the Pot Equity, remember that doing that you're going to have extra life in long terms. If i'm playing for fun i don't care how i'll be playing, i just wanna enjoy this beautiful game.

HAMC81

HAMC81

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here is the cardschat page for odds. It's easy to understand. They explain it in the easiest of terms.

https://www.cardschat.com/odds-for-dummies.php

The thing you'll need to wrap your head around is comparing the pot odds to the odds of the card that makes your hand hitting the board. It's kinda awkward at first, but you'll get it. Think of it like this...

Let's say you want to place a bet on your favorite football team. If your team has 4:1 odds of winning the match, you wouldn't want to place a bet on that team that pays 3:1 or 2:1. It should pay 4:1 (Or better) just like the odds of the team winning. Think of it in extremes so it makes more sense.

If your team has a 100:1 chance of winning, would you place a bet that pays only 3:1? That's crazy. Your team is a huge long shot to win but you're getting paid like it's a favorite. You should be paid large for making such a long-shot bet if it happens to win. If you bet $1 and they win, you should be paid $100....not $3.

Works the same way with cards. If the odds of making your hand is 4:1, you're not going to call a bet that's gonna pay you 3:1 or 2:1 if you win. You should be paid 4:1, 5:1, 6:1 or better.

The math behind this is explained in the link.

great post!

/thread