Limping leads to playing scared

thetaxman1

thetaxman1

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There was a recent post about limping and it made me think about the times I limped a long. You see the cards you did not play become winners. I start playing more and more scared and boom I am gone when I do play.
It makes me cringe to think about it. I try and overcome that by focusing on winning at least one hand per blind to at least pace the blinds.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Before, I also thought limping was a great idea, but looking at my statistics I saw that raising brings more than limping.

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think limping is playing scared, it can be its not inherent.

I don't necessarily believe its a great strategy but it really depends on the table you are on or the other players. Some tables I wouldn't even consider it on, other tables I may limp along depending on the cards I have. Either way I don't find it a sound strategy but like anything nothing is wrong every time.

If you are using an argument that its a negative EV strategy, that's fair but I would also argue that a table of limpers is not a group of players exercising GTO strategy either, so you kind of need to adapt or adjust your play in some fashion or another.

Maybe down the road I will disagree with the above but it's in an interesting predicament when you find yourself at a table of consistent limpers...

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There was a recent post about limping and it made me think about the times I limped a long. You see the cards you did not play become winners. I start playing more and more scared and boom I am gone when I do play.
It makes me cringe to think about it. I try and overcome that by focusing on winning at least one hand per blind to at least pace the blinds.

Thank you for posting.

When we play NL a very good goal to have is to figure out how to stack our Villains.

Limping vs weak post flop players is a very good strategy to do just that. If a weak player who plays way too wide preflop and chases deep into the streets is behind you you want to let them play as many hands vs you as possible so you limp.
When the table limps in front of us and we have position through out the hand we are speculating 1 bb to win 100bb or more that is our goal.

The key is to understand the limp range that over nuts a player and then folding marginal made hands post flop for stack preservation.

Example V loves to play 65 I would limp 75 76 86 but not A5 or A6 or 34 or 54 my goal is to over nut a player for 100bb not try to win a 5-15bb bb pot with top pair weak kicker or bottom straight or a vulnerable 2 pair in a 4 way pot.

When I do limp Ax it is suited and I pot control and over fold to any strength.
When we limp it is because our V are passive not aggressive (not 3 bet 4 bet pre flop bluffy) and they do not fold post flop.
That means when they get aggressive post flop we can fold and move on to the next 100-1 shot even when we make top pair with an Ace.

We do not want to limp hands with the idea of winning a pot with 1 pair hands. Hands that do not improve past one pair very often AA KK QQ AK should be max raised to a size that gets 1 caller.

Hope this helps
:):)