Limping In With Hands That Aren't Good

J

joemac696969

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If your card dead and are folding a lot you have to be aggressive and make a raise and hope no one has a big pocket pair. I would not advise you do it to often won't be very profitable, be careful and be patient. GL

T

tsc420

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I will on occasion only in late position thoug

Douggyfr3sh

Douggyfr3sh

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Limping with mediocre-bad hands is generally a bad idea. I would either raise PF or fold them, unless you have a near full ring of limpers, and even then you only get paid if you hit a miracle flop.

T

ThomasShea

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
very good

If you stick to only great hands, your play is just one way. If you mix it up, it will fool opponents especially if you hit. It is good to limp in a lot if you have a big stack or even call minimum raises. If you hit the 2 pair or possibly trips on the flop, their AA is beat and you crack a great hand and will win the big pot. I believe it's better to play aggressive early to get your big stack and then you can play looser later on. This is a good strategy, hope it helps, gl

M

mstram

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hd 2 3 off and went to click fold but accidentally hit call.

Flop was 2 8 9.... Checked to the Button who bets 75c. (pot is $2) The SB and BB fold. I call and the Turn is a 3 giving me 2 pair.

Believe it or not, as I was reading this post, I was dealt T6o, and ended up with a fullhouse (freeroll, and no one was betting the flop hard so I just called a bunch of min bets :D

SavagePenguin

SavagePenguin

Put the win in penguin
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like to limp in once in awhile with a hand that is obviously not good.

The thing about bad hands is, when you hit they are unlikely to help other people, so on the rare occasions you do hit you win a small pot.
And other times you'll hit stuff like top pair with a weak kicker, in which case you have to worry about bigger kickers, overpairs, overcards on later streets, etc. They're hard to play post-flop.

Look at your stats. You should be profitable in every position except the blinds. If you are losing money in other positions these sort of moves are probably hurting you with negative risk-to-reward ratios.

salim271

salim271

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think limping or calling min raises with rags with a lot of people in the pot can be fruitful... if you get the right flop. Early in a a tournament with a lot of weak players and small blinds playing something like 56o or 74o and getting trips or higher can really pay off, again its like bigsmak's situation, people don't raise high enough with hands like AA or KK because their scared of pushing people out of the pot, but when they probably know they could be beat they refuse to fold AA or KK and lose all their chips because they only made a min raise. I don't go in with rags a lot though, most of the time they're never going to hit more than a pair on the flop which I'll fold.

FlopIt2Me

FlopIt2Me

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you stick to only great hands, your play is just one way. If you mix it up, it will fool opponents especially if you hit. It is good to limp in a lot if you have a big stack or even call minimum raises. If you hit the 2 pair or possibly trips on the flop, their AA is beat and you crack a great hand and will win the big pot. I believe it's better to play aggressive early to get your big stack and then you can play looser later on. This is a good strategy, hope it helps, gl

Well said, Thomas.

I like the way you think.

bullishwwd

bullishwwd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Chip Drainer to limp in

If you are going to play the hand, at least make a "min-raise"...this causes opponents to have to decide something and not get a free look.

Limping only says ur weak and they can get a free look.

I have found that limping drains chips away faster than actually betting,

Wally

smallteene

smallteene

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I usually limp in the late position with a big stack to see the flop.
LOTS of people limp in online though, very hard to avoid.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands