Limping

N

nailbarr

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
New here and needed to say something.

I struggle with high VPIP players limping into pots. Even with great holdings IP, I have a hard time post-flop when I miss. Some always c-bet too. Been getting beat a lot lately. Patience is probably the answer.

Good days y'all

N

nutself

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Limping and play postflop well could be a good strategy, it can be difficult to exploit this play, I think this is also the reason why you feel uneasy about limping. You can call more in position, and try to outplay your opponent by improve your postflop game.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can counter by being super aggressive with premium hands and hope these hands win the race.

A

alien666dj

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Patience is essential if you have a game plan. After each session, you need to analyze your game to identify mistakes.

fernandofcp

fernandofcp

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When you have a good hand, limping is dangerous. The opponent with a weak hand will see their chances of winning the hand increased after the flop. Be very careful!

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Limping can be a positive move

Limping into pots can be utilised well as a weapon dependent on the table you are on and its players and your table image.
Pick your spots well - limping weak in early position you are asking for problems even with a premium hand, it can however be a really useful way to holding a premium with a view to a check raise pre flop/post flop with the intention to barrel off or jam.

Top players will also do this- they will trap and use a premium pocket pair in early pos to draw out the bet, the danger with this however if there is no raise is the set miner, you know the player, the one that plays 22/33 like a royal flush and plays it to the river to chase.

So Limping can be used well in summary to mix up the play, to trap but my advice is to look at your table image and the notes you may have on a player, the effective cost to limp or call and decide from there - its key however to consider your calling range before entering into a pot and i always advise to have a plan if you are going to play.

julio gonzalez

julio gonzalez

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
limping

hello. Yes it is difficult at those levels but there are pre flop and post flop tables that you should consult to avoid losing many pots

JordanH

JordanH

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I play a lot of Omaha. Seems limping is pretty much the universal correct/only smart way to enter a pot. AA loses a LOT, especially in OMHL. Post-flop play is MUCH more important than raising to open. Everybody knows this so most players call most opens with pretty much any reasonable hand. I do raise to open with really good hands but only because I want to build up the pot before the flop, not because I necessarily think I'm going to win or anyone is going to fold pre-flop. I end up folding most hands post-flop.

Did I mention AA loses a LOT? I throw AA into the muck quite often. You shove; three people call; I fold AA without a second thought.

Last edited:
DanielSnrL

DanielSnrL

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I rarely join a hand by accepting or limping. Usually only with speculative hands anyway.

If I have a hand, the limpers will have to pay a little more to see the flop. I take this as a mantra.

M

manIk5

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When nobody opened the pot I always raise (2,2.5,3 times at most), but when there are 2 limpers and I have hands like 78s , I limp aswell trying to see the flop as cheaply as possible .

I never limp in unopened pot , I know some do with premium hands from utg/utg+1 . I don't , I rather play tight agressive style and do not slowplay , at least preflop .
However , when there is a limper or 2 or 3 ... I might limp with connectors , suited kings & aces in order to take it all postflop, but that rarely happens :icon_sant TAG wins on long run !